Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / OLC CodeJam 2021

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2021 21:47
Just stumbled across this jem, started 20 minuets ago and have 9 days to submit ..

Theme: The Future

https://itch.io/jam/olc-codejam-2021

I'm in, any takers?
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 02:48 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 02:50
i've had a couple of ideas i want to try popping around my head and this might be the platform.

1) a sokoban game (which i've never attempted).

2) something i'm calling Maths Ladder in remembrance of Sean Lock** who recently passed away.
**contains strong language and adult humour

..tho i struggle to see "future" for them beyond simple art:

i'll keep thinking about it
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 03:21
Hey my art skills are, well pretty much non existent, what you got there is way better than I could produce, I am relying on my coding skills to get a head start.

I'm going with a particle/quantum physics approach with a shed load of mind boggling complexity that comes with quantum mechanics in an asteroid like time traveling format .. this thing has a simple goal but it will be hard as hell to get there as the "quarks and muons" will...well, ruin your day! lol you'll see what I mean soon, I'll post something when its fleshed out a bit more

Quote: "in remembrance of Sean Lock"

Yeah have to say that rocked me a bit, not many comedians left that say it like it is, Cats does Countdown is probably one of my favourite shows ever, between Sean and Jimmy the PC handbook goes out the window, love it, real comedy.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 03:49 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 03:50
Quote: "what you got there..."
...are giant asset packs.

Quote: "a particle/quantum physics approach with a shed load of mind boggling complexity that comes with quantum mechanics in an asteroid like time traveling format
this thing has a simple goal"
wha wha what!?

regardless, looking forward to whatever you have to share
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 23:41 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 23:43
Quote: "wha wha what!?"

Lol, Atoms, there was an explosion at a non descript hadron collider which tore a hole in space time (a singularity) and engulfed the planet, its spewing out atoms from another dimension and you as the player need to repair it by matching and pairing atom pairs, some atoms cancel other atoms, some split other atoms, some cause a temporary black hole and suck in all local atoms (this has to be the red atom for sure, red matter....), 8 atom types in total (still planning the finer detail of what reacts with what) ... a puzzle game with a rather erratic mind of its own as per quantum mechanics, nothing can be predicted!

The scoring idea is that the singularity is causing a time fluctuation and with each pair of atoms you match or manage to cancel the fluctuation becomes more stable, mess up and split an atom and it gets worse, to win you stabilize time space and close the time fracture ... I got the back end code almost done just need to focus on the game play and the 40k+ possible reactions I could get from 8 atoms ... I think there might be a few late nights!!

The theme is the future and the future is very uncertain, also the future is quantum field theory ... I think I nailed it lol

What you think, a ship that fly's round asteroids style using a tractor beam type thing to grab an atom and slam it into another or a click and drag (candy crush) puzzle type game ... I'm testing both ideas

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2021 03:01
really liking the visuals, ptc. and, my vote is "asteroids style".

reminds me of a recent exercise i called Tugs of War:

that's using a rope joint but you'd probably want something different for a tractor beam.

whatever you decide, i'm looking forward to it
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2021 04:17 Edited at: 29th Aug 2021 04:37
I like that ^^, something good can be made from that in sure, a battleship kind of thing or a "park-a-lot" game with ships

I was leaning towards the asteroids type game to as I'm a space geek but this click drag type puzzle thing could be a nice fast paced game its starting to grow on me, the collision code is not enabled and ignore the white squares they are just for debug and the effect later, but I kind of like the game play style: https://youtu.be/kzh2UHF9u3g

Visuals are paid art, I take no credit for them, 3D I can do, 2D is not my thing

Oh, take no notice of my YT damiana I like to provoke and get political on certain platforms! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2021 04:44 Edited at: 29th Aug 2021 05:00
Quote: "a battleship kind of thing "
that was it exactly. some recent jam's theme inspired it (tho not enough for me to finish it).

Quote: "take no notice of my YT damiana"
i can't just let a wild bird fly that freely on the forums (re: your last post); i hope you understand

but, i do dig the gameplay inside. i've changed my vote to the carrom-esque* style!

*note the velocity stuff there re: your inquiry.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2021 05:11
Quote: "i hope you understand"

Oh dang I didn't think of that, I'll change that tomorrow or before I post another vid, I do apologise and you should know me by now I keep the heavy stuff well away from my dev stuff, strictly about the code at TGC, been so long since I did an actual dev video usually "never the twain shall meet"

Quote: "i've changed my vote to the carrom-esque approach."

And there was me thinking I had something unique... guess there really is nothing new under the sun lol

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2021 03:25
OK its starting to come together now, this demo only has 1 atom type enabled for testing as it gets a bit hectic, I got a small issue with my collision code I'll post in another thread (kinetic energy), another day or so and the gameplay should be done then work some polish into the UI, I might even have time to add a level select screen, goals and stars and all that jazz

I have trimmed the original idea back a little because the time constraints, the goal is to match pairs of atoms to store in the atom bank (side bar) but if you pair 2 wrong atoms bad things happen, lost points, years, gain years, atom rush from the anomaly, UFO, black hole... just what ever random stuff I can fit in, black atoms will the joker atom (match with anything but will be rare and red atoms match wrong will open another small time rift ... thats it, no more scope creep lol, that idea is ring fenced! lol

Oh, and I purged my YT, its family friendly now

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2021 05:17
Day 4 ....

Happy with the GUI glad that's done now I can concentrate on honing the gameplay, scoring and events, the function templates are all in there and being called I just need to go fill them 7x7 possible outcomes its going to take some planning (there might be some repetition just to get it finished)

Ignore the stutter at the start that's my laptop trying to manage the game and the screen cap although I had to optimise it a bit to run in the browser it runs nice on windows, if I have time I'll stick some checks in there to give more bells and whistles on windows and mobile, or maybe after the jam.

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2021 16:38
Looks good so far, I'm digging the visuals.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2021 18:41
Yeah cant take credit for the visuals, Props to https://www.gamedeveloperstudio.com/index.php for those, all I did was bring them to life with some code

I know the videos so far look a little boring but now I'm honing the gameplay and events it will liven up somewhat but with so many collision events to consider I had to spend some time fleshing it out

This is what I have come up with, its going to be one hell of a Select statement

I better get coding then! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2021 19:03
just read through the notes. please add a Nuke button
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2021 19:53
What like Nuke the lab to quit the game? or Nuke to kill particles with Atom points?

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2021 20:06
meant Nuke to clear my head (was joking) but either/both of your thoughts would be cool.
either way, i didn't mean to suggest MORE work for you so please disregard!
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2021 20:37
Quote: "meant Nuke to clear my head "

HaHaHa... told you it was going to be a headache

Quote: " i didn't mean to suggest MORE work for you so please disregard! "

NoNoNo, not at all, I like the idea, if in doubt, nuke it, it might actually make the game playable lol

As per the notes:
//TBC
NOTE: Still considering the above

I am open to more suggestions, I was concentrating so hard on the "what effects what" aspect I wrote that part off till its done, still tweaking the note ideas a bit, the aim is to use those atom points to get out of trouble but exhausted my imagination on the collision stuff, at the end of the day its only an icon and an effect, the end result is the same ... easy stuff

The whole point of this game (the idea I had) was to be absolute carnage, you can win flying by the seat of your pants and with extreme luck but a couple of "emergency buttons" would not go amiss to keep the player engaged, no one likes negative feedback loops so some balance will be required

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2021 00:38
Wow I was massively over thinking this, because the atom sprites are stored in an array and I call GetSpriteFirstContact() in a reverse loop then call GetSpriteContactSpriteID2() to get the id of the sprite it contacted, this means that a collision can be registered as for example (red hits yellow, or yellow hits red) depending where the sprite is in the array, this of course means a rather complex collision system where I have to check the type of the first sprite in a select statement and invoke 1 of 8 other select statements to also get the type of the second sprite... there is nothing I can do about this its just how it works but, while coding the the actual event functions I soon noticed (and should have noticed while writing the info) that there is lots of overlap and for every color type increment I need 1 less function because (red hits yellow and yellow hits red) are the same event, they are registered differently in the engine due to the array but the end result will always be the same

So I culled a 64 function framework down to a manageable 34 functions removing the overlap, this will make balancing a whole lot easier and I can predefine certain aspects with a handful of constants... had to share my Eureka moment lol

If you want to move this to showcase under WIP then feel free, its become more of a dev blog for my game so probably belongs in there, up to you guys I'm easy.

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2021 01:33 Edited at: 1st Sep 2021 01:37
Quote: "had to share my Eureka moment"
i thought i smelled something burning. &, congrats!

Quote: "If you want to move this to showcase under WIP"
i think its perfect where its at. perhaps make a showcase thread for it when you're done?

beyond interest in the game itself, i dig these kinds of threads that allow others into a devs mind**.

its a whole other experience (beyond the game and mechanics) where i feel like i'm along for the ride (vs a post-mortem where the dev has time to digest and make sense of "what happened").

& especially so under pressure of a timed jam. ie, i saw red + blue = blue + red and assumed you did. as spectator, i'm afforded perspective while you're in the trenches, you see

i thought to mention, "not SO many, right?" when you said "its going to be one hell of a Select statement" but didn't want to (further) distract you.

so, "keep up the good work", as they say. and i, for one, appreciate your sharing the experience thus far

**THIS was a fun ride, as well.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2021 02:11 Edited at: 1st Sep 2021 02:14
Ok sure leave it here

Yeah I know what you mean I like the journey to I follow lots of bike builders and game dev's, handymen all sorts just following their projects, love it.

And yes well the thought process in that was to give the player some perspective on what color reacts to what but in all honestly its massively over complicated remembering 64 moves is not going to happen so I ripped all that out, no info at all, it will be pure trial n error, good luck......

lol, no, joking, I already have the red/green thing on the highlight sprites so I am expanding on that, red=negative move, green=positive move, blue = natural move, I may expand this further if I have time, no video tonight as the wires are hanging out at the min, also this means I can edit and tweak the stats and not have to keep editing the info, just makes sense this way ... see this is what I love about programming every day a challenge and learning something new and I'v been coding 20 years.

Yeah this is my first Jam ever, and my first "take to completion" game ever, I'v build lots of software over the years but games I always get scope creep and end up giving up or having another fantastic idea that also goes nowhere so this really is a personal challenge to get past the blockade (I know lots of people suffer with this too), I am pretty eager to get this out there now even if it tanks I don't care it will be a building block to progress from ... I learned a lot building this, many things I can take into the next project, I mean me, doing linear algebra ..... yeah, I don't believe it either lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2021 02:44
Could not resist, I plugged in enough wires to get a short demo of the portal system and the text tween of losing atom points and years, points flow to the the other way when points/years are gained

I was going to clamp the numbers so they don't go below 0 but I kind of like the idea of adding to the mayhem that you can actually finish the game with a negative score (QI style)

Thats it now, no more ideas, finish what I got lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2021 03:21
Quote: "Could not resist"

was hoping for that

good stuff. can't say i've seen anything similar to this and looking forward to playing.

now, get some rest!
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2021 21:57
Quote: "now, get some rest!"

Coding is rest, its my relax, my unwind, but that being said ...

I had a rather gruelling day at work I have muscles aching I didn't know exists, while having a long soak in a Radox bath it hit me .. this "year" thing is just not working with everything else and I am struggling to figure out how to tie it into the atoms and such and a win/lose game scenario .... so I am abandoning the year aspect and using what I already have, the UI itself, or rather the "particle containment field", lightbulb idea brought about by sheer exhaustion.

And I can get away with the future aspect by placing the year as 2048 and well, this is particle physics on another level, pure SciFi stuff lol, it should take minimal code to setup as the framework is already there just need another widget or 2 on the UI and a complete rewrite of the info lol ... well, we'll call that ^^ a draft.

Atom will points repair the containment field, the more exotic the atom the greater the effect, I also dropping some of the portal things there will be some but I think I am going to do a Picard and get rid of Q
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2021 22:24
That is looking sweet. God luck with the jam!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2021 00:59
Quote: " I think I am going to do a Picard and get rid of Q "

Just to make us all feel old, wil wheaton is now older than patrick stewart was when he filmed star trek!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2021 05:04
Dam, where have the years gone!

Not much to report on the project, Nothing has really changed much visually most of it was backend work for the scoring and stuff, Ill try and get a playable alpha out tonight if work does not put me in traction!, game play is done pretty much just need to add the finishing touches and some sounds, I might just make this jam on time.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2021 02:20 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2021 02:28
First draft is live, please test and feedback welcome, still a few things I want to do and some balancing needed but the game aspect is done, its pretty much endless for now I need to work in the win/lose screen but still got 2 days left so its a breeze from here

https://parttimecoder.itch.io/singularity?secret=eEn9C3gMWvM37CwUKilgD4abi0

I must say, that was a rather complex set of rules to setup, all that's going on and I got it from a single for loop (and the game loop of course) highly optimised for web but absolutely peppered with select statements ... this is deffo the way to code web games and makes me realise how much I overuse for loops in my projects, I learned so much from making this

the info will be updated when I got a clear head its a bit of a mess (the info not my head, just tired), I will add some game play tips to it as well

Have fun

Edit, and oh, the final will be a lot harder and faster, this is a "test the water" draft to make sure everything works ok
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2021 03:25 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2021 03:35
first test, and without reading the instructions, it's a little frustrating. i dont know if the hit-boxes/circles are too small or i'm horrible @ focusing on an atom to select it (i did sense some fuzzy focus which helped?), but its a little tough. again, first run, so...

of the connections i made (still plenty), it seems that some should have directed at each other but, instead, just disappeared (i'm not talking about the grey "connections" but the green ones):

making sure that's normal.

then, the full screen option went away before i could scroll down to it and select it. odd to have that option "time out".

otherwise, the frame rate seemed solid and will continue to test when i can but wanted to offer some feedback ASAP.

quick thought: on a connect, allow it to trigger before we release the button? IE, as soon as its green. from the GIF, some of those could have connected but one or another (or something else) happened before i released the button = failed attempt. i might have been worried too much about precision but when the game goes live (@ normal speed), i won't be scoring much
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2021 03:53
yea I see the issue, I think its a mix of the hit box being to small and some restitution needed on the atoms, its hard to get a lock on ones moving above a certain speed, I made them smaller than the sprite because the the collisions looked bad with space between them, Ill add another shape for the mouse hit detection and increase the restitution, I think the timeout is stalling by 1 second so it looks like its active but its not (its removed at -1) I can see from your image that the atom is at 0 but still active ... need to fix that

also bear in mind, if you try to connect 2 atoms and another atom is in the way THAT atom will become the merge target for the colliding one

I added the coloured overlay like that so you don't really have to read the instructions, the system will tell you if its a good, bad or unknown reaction, red = bad, green = good, blue = unknown, applies to black atoms but is current broken and shows white

And yeah I'm having issues with the full screen, see here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/227824

The time out was added to make it more of a panic, before I induced the panic with tonnes of atoms but it tanks the FPS so had to find a compromise, the scoring sucks as well its hard to stay in the positive, the more I play the better I understand it

The final game will be set on a timer also, 5 mins till portal collapse, manage the atoms for that long without losing your containment field and you win and can enter your name in high scores (total atom points combined, even if negative, just getting that far deserves a space in the leaderboard lol), else game over

Thanks for testing and the feedback is valuable, it does get easier as you get to know the game but its a jam and needs to be playable off the bat, I' work on those issues tomorrow

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2021 19:01
All the numbers that fly into the atom get a little annoying after the about the 3rd time, just my opinion. Other than that it looks pretty cool.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 01:42
I had to bail on the Jam I had some life matters to attend to (all good stuff so its welcome) I should be back home in a few days and I'll get this finished.

Yeah the numbers need a little work still, to big I think or needs more action in the tween, the alignment is off aswell, they are only a visual que that something has changed with points so anything can be done with them, I did manage to tidy the gameplay up somewhat and finalise the scoring before I was called away so apart from some small things its almost ready to go.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:45:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:45:59