Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Data type ranges

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2021 15:34
I'm reading the tutorial on data types about ranges. The positive and negative integers at the top of the example I understand, but the real numbers part I'm lost.

I Know in algebra 3E is read 3*E, but this whole real example is confusing. Can someone explain it in simple terms of possible?

Gigabyte Board/ AMD 3.3 Ghtz Quad core/8GB Ram/Nvidia Geforce 1080 GTX 8GB/1TB Western Dig. SSD/Windows 10 Home/Dark Basic Pro 9Ex

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2021 18:22
That's called scientific notation.

3.4 x 10^38

These are the upper and lower limits
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2021 23:15 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2021 23:19
Quote: "That's called scientific notation.

3.4 x 10^38

These are the upper and lower limits"

I understand math as it is normally written, but how you got 10^38 out of what is there I'm clueless. Scientific natation I no nother about and how to read it. I have have done all the way up to algebra 5. I never had the chance to go one more step up to trig or even higher though.

They really should do the tutorial for type ranges in a more simple explanation so people who don't have a clue about scientific notation can understand ranges
Gigabyte Board/ AMD 3.3 Ghtz Quad core/8GB Ram/Nvidia Geforce 1080 GTX 8GB/1TB Western Dig. SSD/Windows 10 Home/Dark Basic Pro 9Ex

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2021 00:00
The limits are 1.8e-38.7 to 3.4e38.7, now if you understand what that means; eh.
Now the key thing to note is the 7 Significant Figures... because this denotes the PRECISION that is available.
Sure with the Exponent we can describe very large or very small numbers., but the crux is that these are only to the 7 most important values; or more specifically this is what will be accurately calculated; as more figures will be returned but will exponentially become less accurate due to rounding errors and affine alignment.

I mean think of a Digital Volume Control... you will usually get 100 Points of Volume out of it., were-as an Analog Knob can allow you to be more refined but this is at the cost of allowing for Precise Volume Control.

The same is true between an Integer and Floating Point., greater range / fine tuning but at the loss of precision.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2021 02:48
Quote: "
I mean think of a Digital Volume Control... you will usually get 100 Points of Volume out of it., were-as an Analog Knob can allow you to be more refined but this is at the cost of allowing for Precise Volume Control. "

I understand this, but not the number with "e" at the end. Does the "e" represent exponent or to the power of? If so then I understand now.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2021 05:05
E is for exponent. This is basically a convenient way to represent large numbers that can't typically be displayed or where you can't represent a superscript (the exponent).

This is a pretty well known and accepted notation, I suggest you google it and read up on it. Do they not teach scientific notation in school anymore?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2021 10:59
Quote: " Do they not teach scientific notation in school anymore?"

I couldn't tell you, I'm 56 years old. I graduated in 1984. Lol. I have been out of school for awhile and you tend to forget things sometimes if you don't use the knowledge very often

chamaeleon
Years of Service
User Offline
10^38 comes from the fact that there are 7 bits for the exponent in a 32 bit floating point (8 if you include the sign to allow for either really large or really small numbers). 10^38 is roughly equal to 2^127 (127 being the largest number representable using 7 bits).
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2021 06:35
Quote: "I couldn't tell you, I'm 56 years old. I graduated in 1984"

lol my bad. I'll get off your lawn now!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 07:06
Quote: "lol my bad. I'll get off your lawn now!"

Your fine lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:01:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:01:24