Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / exporting to an android app

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2021 18:48
Hi is there a demo or video which shows a step by step guide for exporting to android please as using the latest version of app game kit studio, but getting nowhere.. doesn't seem to be doing anything or even reporting an error. Thanks.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2021 20:12 Edited at: 1st Oct 2021 20:23
the short version (WIN10, until someone prepares a proper one):
  • Ensure the latest Java Development Kit is installed (currently JDK 17)
  • Add JDK bin folder to your Path in Environment Variables (User)
    >> Right-Click on "This PC" > Right-Click "Properties" > Advanced System Settings > [Advanced] Environment Variables (lower right) > select PATH then EDIT and add NEW (full) path to bin folder (OK when complete)
    >> Example: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17\bin"
  • Restart System (or Log Out & back in)
  • Export APK or AAB

that's what worked for me (both APK and AAB confirmed).
[My Itch.io Home] [AGK on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2021 20:55
I have tried the above and it is not working for me . I'm a steam user and cannot find the update on steam it's not showing any updates that I can see.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2021 21:12 Edited at: 1st Oct 2021 21:16
i'm on steam as well. i think i'm set for auto-update (i didnt have to do anything and it was updated on launch this morning).

when you check Help/About in the IDE, which version is it showing?

and, "it is not working for me" means what? the failed to check for java error? the jarsigner error?
IanDunn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 02:14
thanks Virtual Nomad, but on one point as the Oracle version of Java is no longer free for 'commercial use' (including making commercial games) - you need a subscription license, do you know if you can use OpenJDK instead.. actually simple answer is for me to try it myself.. https://adoptium.net/ ?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 03:14 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2021 03:19
no idea, and please let us know about OpenJDK.

otherwise, i'm no lawyer but THIS:
Quote: "Executive Summary - September 15, 2021
  • Oracle is making the industry leading Oracle JDK available for free, including all quarterly security updates. This includes commercial and production use.
  • The new license is the "Oracle No-Fee Terms and Conditions" (NFTC) license. This license for the Oracle JDK permits free use for all users, even commercial and production use. Redistribution is permitted as long as it is not for a fee.
  • Developers and organizations can now easily download, use, share and redistribute the Oracle JDK without needing a click-through.
  • Oracle will provide these free releases and updates starting with Oracle JDK 17 and continue for one full year after the next LTS release. Prior versions are not affected by this change.
  • Oracle will continue to provide Oracle OpenJDK releases under the GPL on the same releases and schedule as it has since Java 9.
"

and, from the FAQ
Quote: "What is the new “Oracle No-Fee Terms and Conditions” License (NFTC)?
The NFTC is the license for Oracle JDK 17 and later releases. Subject to the conditions of the license, it permits free use for all users – even commercial and production use. There is no click through license so automating downloads of it has never been easier."

clear as mud, to me
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 08:59 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2021 10:23
"JDK 17 (LTS) users will see their NFTC license revert to Oracle's OTN license in September 2024."

So after September 2024 the JDK 17 cannot be used for commercial licenses.

I've tried OpenJdk 17 and it does appear to work.
ThePict
Years of Service
User Offline
I am getting an error when Exporting with AGKStudio. Says; Error: Failed to read AndroidManifest.xml - Any ideas?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2021 13:49 Edited at: 7th Oct 2021 13:50
@ThePict,

what OS are you running on? and, i know you've recently bought studio; i assume it's updated to V2021.09.30?

meanwhile, see this: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGK-Studio/issues/882.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 19:17 Edited at: 11th Oct 2021 19:25
The error I get, after installing the JDK and adding the environment path, is:

Error: Failed to start bundletool program.

This is displayed at the bottom of the Android export menu, but it's out of view and invisible until you scroll down to view it. I'm now attempting to add the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AppGameKit Studio\media\data\android' folder to the environment path list where the bundletool exists (bundletool.jar)...

Edit: Nope, didn't work. Still getting the error. Perhaps the project location is an issue there. Guess I'm stuck until the cause can be found.

Edit X2: Nope again. Changing the location of the project to Studio's \media\Projects folder also didn't get it to work.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 19:47 Edited at: 11th Oct 2021 19:50
@SFSW,

have you tried it under today's Classic update?

also, are you able to export as APK?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 20:02 Edited at: 11th Oct 2021 20:02
I generally use Studio's player in classic (for reasons associated with the IDE's), which broke with the latest updates (now crashes), so I've reverted back to using an older build of classic until a solution can hopefully be worked out. So no, I haven't tried the classic route and probably won't for a while as I need Vulkan for my work. I don't mind using Studio to compile for mobile at this point, but it seems that isn't an option yet until a solution can be found for the error I get above.

No, I also can't build an APK. The error I get when trying to do that is:

Error: Failed to start jarsigner program.

Must just be something to do with folder assignments or similar, but I haven't been able to sort it out yet. Everything is using default installation folders and parameters.
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
@SFSW where have you installed the JDK to and what environment path have you set for it?
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
@SFSW
Those were all steps for me to export my game in the new format.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
I was able to pin down the cause. I downloaded the file archive for the Java development kit, extracted and placed the files manually. This will apparently not work and causes the errors above. Downloading and running the installer version is required. Once I did that, things worked fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:54:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:54:51