Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How to determine what tier a language is

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2021 18:53
Hi,

I understand that AppGameKit is tier 1 and C++ is tier 2....why? Because it has been said by numerous sources TGC being one of them among a ton of others that the only reason I can know this, but how do you determine what tier other langauges are that are compatible with AppGameKit? Tiers are something I have heard about, but never looked into or understood. I understand that some languages have some of the same capabilities as others and that some languages have more capabilities and are more powerful. That is a no brainer, but tiers, hmm. What are the qualifications for each tier if any? How is this tier thing determined?
Gigabyte Board/ AMD 3.3 Ghtz Quad core/8GB Ram/Nvidia Geforce 1080 GTX 8GB/1TB Western Dig. SSD/Windows 10 Home/Dark Basic Pro 9Ex

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2021 20:30 Edited at: 9th Oct 2021 20:37
not sure but i don't think programming languages are officially "Tiered". i was able to find THIS but all he is doing is rating various languages. so, while he proclaims "Official", my Official Tiering of his Official Tiering is "F"

yes, as you say, Tier 1 in the context of AppGameKit is the BASIC script and so-called Tier 2 uses the same libraries under C++.

i've also seen an un-official Tier 3 on the forums using Lua while i expect AppGameKit implementation under Python or Java & Kotlin or C# would similarly be "Tier 3"? aka, "a language other than tier 1 or 2 that uses AppGameKit libraries"?

i'm sure others could elaborate more on programming language classification (ie, Levels which, as i understand it, basically range from Machine Language (1) to Assembly (2) to so-called High Level languages (3) that require translation to Machine Language - (then, apparently there are Types, too), but, does the above answer your question?

feel free to wait for others to contradict me before answering that
[My Itch.io Home] [AGK on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2021 22:07 Edited at: 9th Oct 2021 22:18
The 'tier' thing always confused me too. I still have to think long and hard about which is which.
There's tier 1 which is a version of BASIC and tier 2 which is C++. (They should be the other way around in my opinion) but as VN points out, you can create A.G.K. code in many languages now, so to call them tiers is just wrong.

I think it's probably a bad marketing decision that TGC are now stuck with
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 11:36
Quote: "Link
not sure but i don't think programming languages are officially "Tiered". i was able to find THIS but all he is doing is rating various languages. so, while he proclaims "Official", my Official Tiering of his Official Tiering is "F"

yes, as you say, Tier 1 in the context of AppGameKit is the BASIC script and so-called Tier 2 uses the same libraries under C++.

i've also seen an un-official Tier 3 on the forums using Lua while i expect AppGameKit implementation under Python or Java & Kotlin or C# would similarly be "Tier 3"? aka, "a language other than tier 1 or 2 that uses AppGameKit libraries"?

i'm sure others could elaborate more on programming language classification (ie, Levels which, as i understand it, basically range from Machine Language (1) to Assembly (2) to so-called High Level languages (3) that require translation to Machine Language - (then, apparently there are Types, too), but, does the above answer your question?

feel free to wait for others to contradict me before answering that
"

I can't say I understand what TGC is trying to do, but oh well lol.

Quote: "The 'tier' thing always confused me too. I still have to think long and hard about which is which.
There's tier 1 which is a version of BASIC and tier 2 which is C++. (They should be the other way around in my opinion) but as VN points out, you can create A.G.K. code in many languages now, so to call them tiers is just wrong.

I think it's probably a bad marketing decision that TGC are now stuck with"

I think it's TGC's poor attempt to classify or organize the languages
Gigabyte Board/ AMD 3.3 Ghtz Quad core/8GB Ram/Nvidia Geforce 1080 GTX 8GB/1TB Western Dig. SSD/Windows 10 Home/Dark Basic Pro 9Ex

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 18:12
Lets take a pragmatic look at Tiers

Tier 1 = Basic

Tier 2 = C++

Wrapper = "A.G.K. code in many languages"

All the wrappers use Tier 2 they are nothing more than language bindings

Code tiers of course being a TGC construct and Basic being most peoples first look at AppGameKit it makes sense to call it Tier 1, a new user open the IDE to find he is using a 2nd Tier language is not a good look, C++ is the optional part so makes sense to call it Tier 2, anything else is a wrapper!

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2021 13:24
Quote: "Lets take a pragmatic look at Tiers

Tier 1 = Basic

Tier 2 = C++

Wrapper = "A.G.K. code in many languages"

All the wrappers use Tier 2 they are nothing more than language bindings

Code tiers of course being a TGC construct and Basic being most peoples first look at AppGameKit it makes sense to call it Tier 1, a new user open the IDE to find he is using a 2nd Tier language is not a good look, C++ is the optional part so makes sense to call it Tier 2, anything else is a wrapper!"

I understand now. But why did the developer of the Lua plugin call it Tier 3 if it is a wrapper? Just wondering

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2021 13:33
Aspirations of grandeur, maybe?. who knows

To be fair the whole wrapping thing (Lua, C# Python etc etc) can all be considered Tier 3, as humans we tend to like putting things in boxes, Tier 3 seems like a suitable box for AKG wrappers ...

Then there is AppGameKit mobile. not sure what box that belongs in!! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2021 17:05
The tier thing confused me when I started using AGK. I forgot where I asked a question but the process of determining which AppGameKit I had went a lot like this:

Them: Which AppGameKit are you using?
Me: 2
Them: So C++ ?
Me: Basic
Them: That's Tier 1. Tier 2 is Basic
Me: It was called AppGameKit 2.0 on the AppGameKit site, sooo...
Them: Sounds like you have AppGameKit Classic and you're using Tier 1
Me: Cool. There's more than one AppGameKit?
Them: For your version, there's AppGameKit Classic and AppGameKit Community. So you'd be using AppGameKit 2 Tier 1 but everyone calls it AppGameKit Classic because AppGameKit Studio is out now.
Me: So Studio is Tier 3
Them: No, you have Tier 1 and Tier 2 in Classic and Studio.
Me: So then what's Studio
Them: The new version of AGK.

LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2021 21:40
Quote: "
Then there is AppGameKit mobile. not sure what box that belongs in!! lol"

It's probably Tier .5 LOL

Quote: "The tier thing confused me when I started using AGK. I forgot where I asked a question but the process of determining which AppGameKit I had went a lot like this:

Them: Which AppGameKit are you using?
Me: 2
Them: So C++ ?
Me: Basic
Them: That's Tier 1. Tier 2 is Basic
Me: It was called AppGameKit 2.0 on the AppGameKit site, sooo...
Them: Sounds like you have AppGameKit Classic and you're using Tier 1
Me: Cool. There's more than one AppGameKit?
Them: For your version, there's AppGameKit Classic and AppGameKit Community. So you'd be using AppGameKit 2 Tier 1 but everyone calls it AppGameKit Classic because AppGameKit Studio is out now.
Me: So Studio is Tier 3
Them: No, you have Tier 1 and Tier 2 in Classic and Studio.
Me: So then what's Studio
Them: The new version of AGK. "

AGK Studio has Tier 1 and 2, but the compiler is not visible which is most likely in the Tier 1 directory like AppGameKit Classic/2 is. I personally wouldn't consider Studio Tier 3 just 1 and 2 capable by default

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 12:52:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 12:52:38