Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
can someone tell me how to make a 2d platfromer?
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2021 12:32 Edited at: 17th Oct 2021 12:32
no
2002 - Present
Dancelot Gaiming
Years of Service
User Offline
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/images/smilies/tired.gif
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 18th Oct 2021 03:00
Do lots of reading and research, find books, look at code snippets, basically learn
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2021 15:24

You simply have to think in terms of X and Y values for position, the size/radius of your sprites for collision, speed, intertia and gravity.
The rules can all be made up and changed on the spot:

Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2021 14:24 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2021 14:29
Way back in the day, darkbasic used to have a newsletter that had all kinds of useful info. I made a list of the tutorials that were in different issues which you can view from my website.

https://zimnox.com/dbcc/?page=newsletters

They all link back to TGC's archives, with the exceptions of a few that had linked to zip files for the tutorial. Those don't seem to exist anymore. If for some reason the newsletter no longer is available from TGC, at the bottom of my page are the newsletters converted to pdf and hosted on my server. Of the 154, I converted 101 (which is probably all that existed at the time I did this). So there may very well be tutorials lurking in the other 50 newsletters that I haven't listed.

Unfortunately, the 2d sidescrolling tutorial which came in 2 parts was in the newsletter as zip files.
http://files.thegamecreators.com/newsletter/DBPro_2DScroller_Part1.zip

If anyone from TGC knows if the newsletter attachments still exist somewhere give me a shout. Or if anyone else happens to have them on their PC please share and I'll host them on my server. All my DB files were lost in the ransomware.

Just like to point out, if you do use my website keep in mind that I'm currently fixing it as not everything works currently due to php upgrades and my site being so old i have deprecated code in it.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2021 13:29 Edited at: 15th Dec 2021 13:30
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2021 05:31
What's weird is that the link only works if I paste it in the browser. Clicking on it just flashes up a blank page but doesn't serve the file.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2021 05:50 Edited at: 17th Dec 2021 05:52
edge doesn't like it as a security risk but i can choose to "keep". you're probably experiencing something similar?

otherwise, i've attached them both.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:24:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:24:16