Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Free Assets are a Headache!

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 01:31
So I am wondering to myself about asset ownership and where the line is drawn, grabbing a basic geometric shape like a rock from a free source and then after loading it into blender I remove double vertices and hidden faces, fix the origin point and give it a UV map that actually work without stretching, after exporting and applying a CC0 texture how much ownership does the original author retain over the asset ....

Yeah don't answer I already know, So now I am at the point where I am putting as much work into making free assets game friendly I as I would just backtracking and making my own, So, free assets are a headache, avoid at all costs id my advice!

I just deleted my entire asset folder and I am starting again, back to a bare unpopulated planet .... and it was all going so well but I figure if I am putting this much work into the tiniest of elements then I might as well take complete ownership of it, no?
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 01:43 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 01:46
Ah .... after all that blender has a rock generator built in .... what a waist of 2 hours!

now, a tree generator and I'm good to go

Edit:
Dam: https://blender-addons.org/modular-tree-addon/

Did I rub a lamp on my way home today ....

And for my 3rd and final wish Mr Genie, make this lotto ticket count!!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
So I am wondering to myself about asset ownership and where the line is drawn?

What do you need?, I am a member at a asset store and can download anything with full license and can share with friends and or family, but just one at a time.

There is real good 3d space assets for games there, but no music or sounds god forbid.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 02:12
Thanks for the offer but your good.

I just wanted to crack on with the code so opted to grab a few free packs but the work its going to take I might as well just make them myself, I can use blender I just haven't in a while so, you know, rusty.

I got a so called game ready spaceship asset pack here, same deal, double verts, hidden faces, overlapped edges, and the poly count is through the roof, bevel mods and gerbilles should be baked not actual geometry!!, they are not game ready assets and will take a lot of work to make them so, re topo or bake to low poly .... might as well just make them!

But low and behold the holy grail of addons: SpaceshipGenerator ... even better than a lotto win, thanks Mr Genie! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But low and behold the holy grail of addons: SpaceshipGenerator ."

Well good for you, sounds fun to play with.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 04:32 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 04:33
Quote: "can share with friends and or family, but just one at a time"

curious license. link?
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 04:49 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 04:51
Quote: "curious license. link?"

It is only with who made the assets, Not all of them, but yes, sure.

You have to ask them before hand.

2. FREEBIE PRODUCTS
2.1 CAPABILITIES
2.1.1 You are permitted to use the resources in any number of personal and commercial projects for yourself or a client.
2.1.2 You can modify the resources according to your requirements and include them into works such as game projects, elements for websites, applications, printed materials and others;
2.1.3 You can sell and distribute games with our assets.

This is only with free stuff and you should ask just in case.

I will post a link so others can get there content, I have a lot from here.

https://craftpix.net/
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 04:54 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 04:56
Quote: "curious license"

My thoughts exactly, lol

Anyhou, I decided that the mish mash of assets was just not going to work, things just looked like they were dumped on the planet surface (because they was!), trying to make things too modular just is not working so back to the drawing board

the pre sculpted mountains are the way to go I think, the small ones in the ingame image look like tea cakes! (mountains not textured yet I am still deciding the beat way to go about this with experimentation)

and I added a river, cool huh! lol

I think I need to forget about the code for a few days and concentrate on asset creation because its holding me back now, who would have thought indecisiveness was unproductive!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 04:55 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 04:57
where does it say that you can share? and, yeah, craftpix rocks
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 05:04 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 05:05
Well i was going to share the link as a free thing because he said free assets to begin with, that is what I meant , sorry for the confusion.

Edit I reread what I posted and it does sound bad lol.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 05:34 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 05:34
Craftpix does indeed rock but that free stuff needs a little work, its promo gear and not production ready, the frame sizes are off and their separate files, use Texture Packer to pack them with a unified size and they look so much better and are easier to use.

Game Developer Studio is my goto, excellent quality and Rob (the dev) is a really nice bloke, he engages with his community and takes requests
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 05:38 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 05:51
Quote: "is my goto,"

Wow, I didn't know this existed, thanks, looks like I found another great place to visit.

Edit: There is no free stuff there, everything is for sale. and no membership.

but very good stuff.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 05:59
I never said it was free, I said it was my goto, but c'mon man at those prices, its almost free...

I like that part about it, I don't see to many games knocking around with GDS stuff, Craftpix, Kenny and Itch.io stuff is absolutely everywhere!

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 06:02 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 06:09
Oh, and for sounds, I paid for this so you lot don't have to: https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk

Most of it is junk but that's the BBC for you!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 12:21 Edited at: 14th Nov 2021 12:26
Quote: "There is no free stuff there, everything is for sale. and no membership"

You're wrong.
There's loads of free assets at GameDeveloperStudio. Search by Price Lowest to Highest and you'll see. The link should have that filter applied

Here's a link to the GDS discord in case you want to discuss the assets, request custom stuff or just keep informed of new assets.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 16:03
I use this site quite a bit. Sometimes it can be hard to find the right thing you're looking for, but it's free. https://freesound.org/

And then there's this site: https://opengameart.org/. I have a few things up there myself. The few 3D things I've clicked on so far are licensed as public domain.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2021 16:15
https://www.zapsplat.com/sound-effect-category/game-sounds/ is a decent site to, plenty to choose from.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:41:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:41:14