Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Invasion [TD]

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2021 01:56
This is basically a data structure and retrival system, external data has to come from somewhere and as I love using Lua I thought it the perfect opportunity to use it now, there will be some AI automation further down the line I'll keep you updated on the code and systems, I will not lean to heavily on Lua .. you'll see where I am going

This "city_placment.lua" is a data file, it will eventfully hold a massive amount of Lua table data and a few functions for C++ to retrieve the data

And this is the C++ code that runs the script and retrieves the data (the Lua C API does seem a little complex but its a piece of cake when you understand the stack system, and what seems like a overly complicated data system really does have massive advantages, thus why a lot of AAA games use it)

The project will end up having a dozen or so scripts like this for various assets, AI decisions and anything else I need to store externally, the benefit of this is I can tweak things while the game is running, offer modding capabilities, and of course, show off my coding skills

Approved?

For anyone else wondering what on earth this is all about, As I am now making my project in Tier2 I asked the Mods if I could incorporate Lua, external data has to come from somewhere this is no different to using XML or SQLite its just way more flexible, anyway, the Mods said they want to see code and examples of how I would be using Lua as its an AppGameKit competition, the AppGameKit API must take precedence, but as you can see from the code it really is no different to using RapidXML, just a million times more flexible
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2021 02:43
Excellent, Thanks

When I get to the AI part I will post further snippets and a working example, like I said I want it for the "yield" or "Sleep" functionally, even C++ can not yield in the middle of a function call without locking the program up, Lua can it just sits there and waits for permission to continue, like magic lol, it can cut a state machine in half and simplify a whole bunch of things.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 03:31
Ah, Like VN found out I am hitting "real estate" issues and I foresee a finite cap on playability ... so a rethink is in order "open up another section of the map" ... has given me an idea, I can use most of what I have written so far and add "something else" ... TBC.......
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 05:44
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 06:17 Edited at: 19th Nov 2021 06:18
Wires are hanging out ... going to take a few days to put it all back together .... will post a video when I got the new framework up n running, pretty much the same system as I was going for with the globe thing just with an added *something* to give me a million percent more real estate.....

It will make sense when you see it
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2021 04:27 Edited at: 20th Nov 2021 04:30
Main Menu, Game Title (Finalised!), Prop Badges, I will stick a rendered backdrop of a battle scene in when I am ready, might even animate it if I got time, cant show now though as it will give too much away ....

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2021 20:49 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2021 21:09
Just a quick render, not feeling the code today so messing around in blender.

The invasion looms!

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the cartoon look, the more cartoon the better.

Do you have a working system for any game play yet?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 23rd Nov 2021 21:03
i have been waiting for a request from you to change this thread's name but couldn't take it any longer

Quote: " The invasion looms! "

good stuff!
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2021 21:07 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2021 21:10
Quote: "any game play yet?"

Almost ..... all in good time

There will be 2 modes to the game play, the second part is fighting back (but I got Flu and cant think straight, hence the blender stuff) on the plus side, 2 weeks off work coz everyone thinks I got the lurgies!!

It wont look exactly like that in game as that's an Eevee render but I am going to try to get it as close to that as I can, I quite like it too, looks like plasticine, I said from the start I want that Futurama look

Edit:

Quote: "but couldn't take it any longer"

HaHa, thanks
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2021 22:38
The concept art is looking great, just wish I could export to AppGameKit looking like this!

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 23rd Nov 2021 22:41 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2021 22:44
looks great, ptc

so, with 8 fingers per "hand", it's gonna tickle its target into submission?

very futurama
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 23rd Nov 2021 22:56
Quote: " just wish I could export to AppGameKit looking like this!"

Bake the textures
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2021 23:30 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2021 23:30
Quote: "it's gonna tickle its target into submission?"

Yes, Gatling tickles, nuclear kisses and love bombs...lol

Quote: "Bake the textures"

Yea I have not got that far with blender, I have done basic diffuse and AO, but not done lightmaps yet, but with the shader pack and some patience (and some YT tuts) I am sure I can get it looking close (just been looking at the self illuminating stuff)
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 00:09
I would go with a diffuse and normal. Using a normal will give you the shininess (specular)
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 08:45 Edited at: 24th Nov 2021 08:45
I thought normal was for the texture... so much to learn lol

Thanks for the vid
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 10:26
Looks great.
I'm curious how the models will look and work in the game.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 11:02
I am working on the looks, I had backtracked and decided modularity was the answer so I am soaking up lots of knowledge from YT lol

As to how they will work, I am playing with 2 aspects of gameplay if I can incorporate them both and have it work seamlessly then I will stick with it but not going to revile to much yet as I may end up scrapping one or the other.

But basic turret setup will be pitch and yaw (rotation, elevation), I might use a rig for this, still need to experiment to see what works best

First set of game ready turrets are almost ready, just got to hone the workflow once I got that I can go on a asset binge

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 16:39 Edited at: 24th Nov 2021 16:44
That 40 second solution was indeed to good to be true, it only works on the most basic of models, with the mods I am using (mirror, bevel, boolean) and the setup it fails....

Need to use a "Cage" object

Thanks Grant .... again, lol

I have only done the base for now, getting to grips with the workflow has been a days work!!

The detail on the base object is baked from the high poly, some of it looks naff but I went overkill just to see some results, now time to go back and do it all properly, proper unwrap and apply a diffuse, now I know I can go mad on the detail and not worry about polycount... let the fun begin! lol

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok here is where you need to use gimp

In gimp you can make normal maps and just apply them in appgamekit

Take a high poly version texture and make a normal for it then apply it to the low poly version in game.

I have done this many times.

It is the fastest way and easy to do.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 17:32
I just spent 6 hours getting this right.... no more learning!! lol

I have a Normal plugin for Paint.NET but I found it does not produce fantastic results, not tried in GIMP.

I don't think it would work anyway as I am using mirror mods to help with the modelling and save texture space, the plan is to have all the turrets (probably about 40/50) all baked out to a single 4k texture, a generic Normal generator would put detail where I don't want detail, baking the detail from one model to another gives the exact results as its baking the topology data and not colour data, this is the workflow pro artists use so tis good enough for me! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2021 23:41
Although Photoshop currently generates normal maps, the 3D features are getting moved to Substance 3D and not sure how long it will be around for. Its also getting a bit buggy. I may need to look at GIMP in a bind good to know it supports that.

I'd also suggest making light maps for the glowing rings - can just take copy of the diffuse, color in the ring areas and make the rest black.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2021 03:55
Yeah I have sussed the emit maps in blender, I got the whole process sorted now it should be cake from here, the main thing was learning the workflow and getting it banked into long term memory so I can repeat without the fuss, the way the file is setup, materials, uv's etc it really matters when it comes to baking.

I have not done much on this project the last week this flu been knocking me out (was bound to happen the time I spend on trains!) but I think the worst is behind me now and I have told work to not expect to see me till after xmas as I still feel like dirt but while curled up on the sofa I was playing around in blender with junk files just learning a thing or two about the process (point and click stuff with the laptop hooked into my new black friday TV , still don't feel up to coding so I will refine my models with what I have learned

The problem would still stand with PS anyway, I am baking geometry data from a high poly model to a low poly, maybe Substance 3D is more suited for this task but PS would be no better than GIMP or Paint.NET, maybe that's why the 3D functionally is being shipped to Substance, I have found that Paint.NET can make a decent Normal from a heightmap but if the hightmap is wrong you got no chance with the Normal, in my experiments anyway!

anyhou, I think I'm due some more Beechams and some shuteye!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-17 00:38:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-17 00:38:54