Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Dun Runnin' [TD]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 11:08 Edited at: 24th Nov 2021 11:13
Dun Runnin

Objective

This going to be a development diary of my entry for the “Tower Defence [Community Prize Competition]”

Broad concept

After much consideration I decided on a literal Tower Defence game, using gun turrets and AI controlled Hordes of machines. I decided to make all media myself and choose the “don't care if it gets distributed “ option of asset protection (NONE), I hope someone will find something useful.
I decided to Make it 3D and give the player real time control of the Tower Turret. This will provide an active role in each mission. The player will have Strategic control over defence structure and positioning as well as an upgrade, build, repair, or restock resource management system between missions.

Background Story

It is the year 2121 and over the last century, global warming has caused rising sea levels. After realising that switching from Fahrenheit to Celsius doesn’t actually lower temperature, Humanity looked to advances in AI to solve this problem.
The AI decided the cause was not Cow Flatulence, Plastic straws or the Lack of trees causing global warming but humanity. It decided only way to resolve the earths problems was to eradicate humanity.
As most of the planet was covered in water, The AI created weaponised boats as shells for their cores and developed economic ways to convert water to hydrogen and oxygen, giving each boat unlimited power.

Within a year the human race was almost extinct, the last bastion of humanity is entrenched in an old Tower on a remote mountain bog in the highlands of Scotland. From there a last stand is made.

Welcome to Dun Runnin’

Tools

Code : AGK Studio - The Best Programming Language Ever……..Until TGC makes a new one.
3D Assets : Blender - I recently completed a beginner’s course from https://www.gamedev.tv/) and I have barely scratched the surface of Blenders power.
2D Assets : Corel PaintShop Pro - It has seamless tiling, Buttonizing, gradient and texture features that I make good use of.
Bitmap2Material - Can Give some good results
Sounds : Audacity - Amazing free program
Music : To be Decided - I have a few options, none of them that good, but I will make do.
Font : OpenDyslexic - Has a sort of retro futuristic look and should be easier for people with dyslexia to read, whats not to like ?

is available here – https://opendyslexic.org/

“OpenDyslexic now uses the SIL-OFL license, giving you freedom to use it for personal use, business use, education, commercial, books, ebook readers, applications, websites, and any other project or purpose you need.”

Shader -None ( Whatever is used by default In AGK).

If Anyone knows if it does something like Image slot 0 – Diffuse, Image Slot 1 – Normal, Image slot 2 – BumpMap, etc ?
It sort of seems too, but I cant find any information on it ?

Shaders are great. I have Packs and can successfully edit many of them. But I just can’t create my own, so don’t plan on using any for this project.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 12:13
Looking Good, your back story is hilarious.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The AI decided the cause was not Cow Flatulence, Plastic straws or the Lack of trees causing global warming but humanity. "

That would be the icing on the cake

Looks like a good start, keep it up.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2021 21:07
It's all looking good, jammy. I'm not sure why but the minimap excites me. i guess i'm looking forward to NEEDING it
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2022 22:06
Unfortunately,

I will be unable to post an entry this time - Life (and covid) has just got in the way.

I have made buying and placing systems for the towers, but have not had the time to link them into the game or make the necessary missions.

I will try and finish this project but would need another couple of months (or even more, at the rate i have been going).

Good luck to everyone who manages to post an entry. (that alone is an achievement)

Thanks again to the organisers of such a great compo, as the hooded claw was so fond of saying - Ill get you next time!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2022 22:16
i was looking for this throughout and expected something(s) RL got in the way; same for a few others, as well.

that's life, as they say.

meanwhile, do continue working on this, please.

what's impressed me after playing the majority of the [TD] entries thus far is the variety; yours is its own flavor.

and, all are delicious!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:38:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:38:14