Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Skillful people repository

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 00:05
Did anyone ever make a site which allowed DBers to register and upload a profile with skills etc etc to add to a database. I remember being involved in this thread about a year back where we all concluded it'd be cool to have a site where you can browse through people, see their skills and contact them to ask for help.

Did that ever get made?

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 00:06
havent seen one...things like that always seem to be just talk...

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 00:08
I dont think so actually. it would be like a freelance game developers listing found in many other multimedia fields when your choosing an artist for a job or assignment.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 00:09
eh...
I never heard of that. I'm currently working on something like that to add to my site...but I'm doing it all manually. (I don't know how to let people submit thier own profile)

Maybe someone else remembers.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 18:00
Ahh fair play. We're finally getting onto PHP etc this term, so come march/april, I should be able to make those sorta sites if need be, or help people such as Megaton to make em.

This is kinda related to my last post about respected developers. Would be nice to be able to browse DBers, their profiles and their works.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 09:49
It'd be kinda like selection your mercenary in a turn based action point type game.

I'll take the nutter with the big machine gun please.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 14:59 Edited at: 1st Jan 2004 15:08
I think it's been tried before through some the off-shoot forums/portals. Rich could prolly work somehing into here. Hmmm, perhaps link it, to the code base system or something.. I.e. Votes = Hight Ranking. It can prolly already do that anyway

Kevin Picone
Play Basic - Visible Worlds - Kyruss II
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 16:48
Well, if he expanded the profiles for each member to include a few more key things (like maybe a pic, age, skills list (you could select from predefined drop down boxes), links to completed works etc) and then made those profiles searchable, that'd be sweet.

So basically, more detail in profiles and some sorta section where you can browse and search em.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 19:41
Well, there is this thread in the team request forum:
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=16213&b=9

But, it only has like a dozen or so entries.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 03:44
yea I was going to include that, and the "list of known composers" to put it into sections. For example:

3d modelling:person 1, person 2, person 3
programming:person1, person 2, person 3

you get what I mean? Each person will be a link that leads to his/her profile.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 05:28
I made a suggustion in the general talk area for forum improvements about adding a more in depth profile with stuff.

I'd really love to make a database with most everyone in the forum, only problem is that it'd take a lot of time and trouble of contacting people. Maybe over Summer Break I could work something out, but I wouldn't guareentee anything.

Would be easiest if Rich added a thing to our profile to list info. and then those that listed info. get added to a list or something.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 05:31
seams like if people voted we would end up with kids having little popularity contests. I dont know about you but I would discourage that sort of behavior. I think thats why we dont have postcounts.

I cant ever see it being that used or usefull. Would do more to inflate egos than anything else. (isn't that pathetic )

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 16:08 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2004 16:17
uh...
That wasen't the way it intended to be but it's possible....:S

EDIT

Quote: "I think thats why we dont have postcounts.
"

uh...are you sure? I think those are still around...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:36:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:36:55