Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / HOW TO FIX THE WATER IN FPSC!!! Figured it out! THIS CAN WORK! 1 definite, 1 most likely

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2021 09:01 Edited at: 28th Nov 2021 12:13
I've been digging around on here and it seems, over the years there's always advances in the water system. I think it would be good if we had a sticky containing all the ideas people have came up with that worked so far, so that when someone else has a new idea for water workarounds it can be added to the knowledgebase.

Advancements in the ways we can get around engine restrictions come from new games needing special sauce, and occasionally we get a little extra special sauce to us, such as, I just figured this out tonight reading all the information i could find relevant to water.:

How to have an animated waterfall:
I was reading this thread about animated textures and they started discussing alternate textures with blood for dead enemies, and "Fruitless CRUNK" this:

Quote: "Fruitless CRUNK

i dont thenk thats its a script at all i thenk that its in the modeling park of it and textures"

and this gave me an idea for creating shallow water and an actual animated waterfall which i intend to begin working on shortly. i have modelpack 38 and tried the waterfall there, it's just a static image of water. The way you make shallow water and waterfalls has to be with animated entities, such as a cylinder that constantly rotates around an invisible axle.

Multiple water planes:

IT IS POSSIBLE TO CONTATIN THE WATER TO A CERTaiN AMOUNT OF UNITS SOMEHOW> HERE IS PROOF!

If it wasnt possible i wouldnt be able to go to the waters literal edge in one direction and the water go off into oblivion in another, it would go off into oblivion on all sides of the map, it appears that water depth is infinite, but water surface area is not, therefore we can tweak it or trick it somehow...
If it were possible to put the water off map by a few squares we could continue past the edge of the water because the world is flat. the waters origin is not Zero'd, because at the southeast corner of the map there's no water, but at the northwest corner it keeps going for quite a ways. But I already tried moving the skybox and the skybox did move, but the water didn't, i dont understand why.
Actress/model/musician/ & now a game dev

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2021 16:41 Edited at: 28th Nov 2021 16:44
Your looking for something like this... ?

But the "water" command itself extends the entire map level area. It is not containable, so to say.
You can however, turn "water " On and Off as one progresses thru the play area of a level, so to give the
illusion of water in one area higher than another ( with the waterheight command)
** WHERE'S MY eXplosys ? **
SolaraV
Years of Service
User Offline
yes just like that!

Quote: "But the "water" command itself extends the entire map level area. It is not containable, so to say.
You can however, turn "water " On and Off as one progresses thru the play area of a level, so to give the
illusion of water in one area higher than another ( with the waterheight command)"

there has to be a way to either contain it or move it so that it only covers a portion of the map,
or it would extend past the map 10 units in all directions instead of 20 units in one direction.
The previous picture of the waters edge was at the southeast corner

This is the Northeast corner:

We have a 60x60 editor, the tile is 80x80?, and it appears to go off to the northeast about 20 units. so it doesn't cover the world totally, so it has an origin point similar to a reference bone
SolaraV
Years of Service
User Offline

Where is there a syntax list for the effects?
I dont understad why i still have a static waterfall sheet... I don't understand what most of these values are for, i entered what I thought it was requiring but i didnt make any progress. i've been looking for an fx syntax list but i can't find one if it exists
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2021 21:15 Edited at: 28th Nov 2021 21:15
There is no command for this, its an "entity" shader. It gets attached to the entity in its property settings
as an "effect". But the right textures are needed for it work.
** WHERE'S MY eXplosys ? **
SolaraV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2021 03:04 Edited at: 29th Nov 2021 04:10
I put the textures in there in the "slots" in the shader where it said <texturename>
I even tried dropping those textures into the same folder as the effect.
i even tried using the rain effect on the entity, i still have a static non moving sheet of water.
postprocessing is set to 1, newblossershaders is set to 2

i'm trying to learn, but it just doesnt make sense to me why its not working, and i dont understand these shaders at all. I even went back to the original unedited waterfall.fx from metrotheater and idk.

So line 4 Texture = <colorTexture>; so... Texture = waterfall_large_D2.dds; -------------------- Like this? is this section where i put this?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:56:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:56:14