Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Challenge 1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 00:47
Well I think the deadline has passed.
Only two in it this time.

Rich get points for the least lines of code.
Arch gets lots of points for the fun level in the Blast Balls game.

I have to give the win to Arch. Very well done. I'll keep going back to that game in future.

So now I have to try to get my Tower Defence game done in time. I won't know if I can until the end of the month.

Cheers guys and I'll leave you with the latest version of my Lady Bugs mini game.
I added six levels of difficulty and made it more complete by adding spacebar to restart instead of having to reboot.

BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 01:13 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2022 10:29
congrats, Arch! yours definitely had "the most fun" inside.

i couldn't get in on it this time around but, depending on how soon the next is announced (hint, hint), i hope to submit something for the next challenge.

meanwhile, i plan on adding graphics to Fly Hard and fleshing it out a bit then posting on itch.io someday soon since "1/2 the work" is already done. i hope the rest of you consider doing the same with your creations

add: i know phaelax set the rules according to the old DBPro challenges to include "no external media" but one thing i always wanted to see were challenges set with minimal media provided.

ie, judge provides a set of blocks numbered 0-9 that participants need to use to make a game. or, a simple set of chess pieces with "make something other than chess" out of them. you get the idea. some home-made sound effects, music, whatever could go a long way, as well.

as long as we're all using the same stuff, it's all "fair" in a friendly competition and may open windows to creative winds

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 10:36
Quote: "some home-made sound effects, music, whatever could go a long way, as well."

I second that.
I think it would be a lot of fun to see what different ideas people come up with while all using the same media.
Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 21:17 Edited at: 4th Jan 2022 06:24
Hey, thank you guys, sorry being late.
This event triggered all of us to create something, that's awesome. I am also developing my ball popping game like those others on the net. If I ever finish it I'll announce it here and release it.

Well, for the next quest, let's create a random 3d city generator with agk with Phaelax's rules, end day willl be sunday, 16th of january. No textures needed, just the geometry will be judged.

Here is my very old city generator;

Edit: Let's longen the end day for a week and set it to 16th January, because everyone is developing their previous entries which is so great.

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 22:48
Quote: "I am also developing my ball popping game
+
create a random 3d city generator"

deal!
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2022 22:20 Edited at: 5th Jan 2022 22:21
@ Virtual Nomad . Nice update to fly hard . Next Friday I am going to have surgery on my arm and I will not be able to participate in this last challenge . in the meantime I've been fiddling with the code and this is my first attempt at random city .

I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Attachments

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 11:36
@:Rich Dersheimer-nice one, reminds me of an early game I typed in at the age of 12 from popular weekly magazie (which I still have in the loft), think it was called arrow man or something like that.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2022 05:45
@chafari thanks for participating. It gives the feel that you are in a city, nice job dude. I'm still busy with my 'ball blast' game, so I couldn't write a code this time.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2022 07:40
Thanks mate. If anyone would like to continue this thread feel free to set a new challenge.

Cheers.
I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2022 22:52
nice city gen, chaf

sorry i didn't put anything together for the challenge. i had an idea that proved to be more time-consuming than anticipated...
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2022 09:16
@Virtual Nomad thanks . No problem ...I can barely move my right arm and I can't write with one hand.. that's why I say if someone wants to set a new challenge.
I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2022 14:58
feel better soon, chaf. i don't see working on a challenge for 2-3 weeks myself.

if anyone wants to announce a challenge, please do. if i don't see one when i have more time, i'll post one.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2022 13:45 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2022 13:51
ok, so i'm looking forward to the winter games and thought i'd share it.

Challenge: Winter Games

Deadline: 23:59 UTC on Sunday JAN 30TH (i'll already be in Judge mode, so... )

Details: Create a game consisting of winter Olympic™ events, real or fictional!

Rules:
  • No external media

the long-week challenge should allow plenty of time to flesh out the "Olympic experience" some which is something i'll consider when judging
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2022 13:51 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2022 13:52
Ah someone beat me to it! We can save this for a future challenge. Winter games it is!

I have an idea for a short challenge, but a good puzzle that could show up in an interview for a coding job.

Given a string, return true if any containing brackets match up. That means an opening bracket must be followed somewhere by a closing bracket.
Good examples:
(apple)
ap(p)le
apple()

Wrong examples:
apple)
apple)(

For those with a bit of experience, this will likely be a very simple challenge. So to test how efficient of a solution you can create, you must check for the following bracket types:
()
{}
[]
<>

I've left out quotations on purpose since in AppGameKit you can't just simple use \" to escape them in strings.

Valid test input:
<How ((big) is [the] dog)?>
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2022 14:18
ha! some strange celestial something must have passed and inspired us at nearly the same time let's do this:

the first idea to get 2 commitments voiced here is the challenge. deal?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2022 14:34
lol works for me
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2022 19:05
Hi, nice to continue this challenge.

enjoy
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2022 03:32 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2022 03:32
argghhh. this isn't working right (yet):
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2022 23:06
Unfortunately i have absolutely no time right now but as soon as i saw the olympics topic i had an idea;
"Slalom"
Design:
You draw a line with your finger
When you start drawing a line a ball drops from the top of the screen onto that line as if it were a surface (A physics surface)
The ball MUST keep moving or you lose
As the ball moves along the line the camera follows it (Placing it in the centre of the screen)
If the ball is not in contact with the line then the camera will follow it horizontally but not vertically (So if the ball falls below the bottom of the screen you lose)
You get points for "Air". The idea is you make a slope to get the ball speed up then turn the slope up like a ramp. The ball shoots off the ramp and while it is in the air you get points.

Implementation:
Ball is a dynamic object with a circle shape
The line is a series of sprites with a physics shape of a line from touch point to touch point (Make the distance required a minimum so you don't generate a line unless the touch points are a certain distance apart). When the ball is touching a line you destroy any sprites that precede it.
Everything else should be managed by the 2D physics system
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 10th Feb 2022 12:09
Great combined thinking, winter games works well, original concept blink quite doable, I have some concepts in mind too as I dearly love these challenges but only just got internet at the new living address, bills are flooding in and lots still to
unpack. I may be able to whip something up been going through like 20 years worth of storage amazingly learning on the way who I thought I was giving credit to has not always been the original, according to my learned cloud storage solutions
and research its going to take some time to sort through the mess I have of files, including giving the original artists for media I have or complete recreations of my own.

Goodluck with anybody who does these challenges that's how software like AppGameKit becomes known in the community.
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2022 22:31 Edited at: 28th Jun 2022 23:17
Anyone want to partake in the current AGK Space Jam on itch.io but not up for a semi-serious project?

or, just up for a Challenge, regardless?

Consider making a Space-themed MINI game or toy that i could include in my entry as an in-game mini-game!

make it 2D, "mini" but fun, and HTML-friendly** as i hope to export my project as such (WIN is "for sure").

i imagine wrapping each within a function so, keep that in mind.

contrary to this thread's Rules, minimal media is required if you want it included in the Jam. create your own or find some free stuff on OGA or the like. BTW, i have all the TGC DLC's, a full membership @ Craftpix.net (which has a lot of FREE space stuff, too), & lifetime membership at CartoonsSmart.com so that broadens proper media rights beyond "open" (see attached)

Deadline: July 9th, 0100 UTC which should give me time to judge, implement and test before the Jam deadline 2 weeks later. that Date/Time may slide (back, not forward) if i think i'll have time to get my own prepared early/well enough.

and, inclusion into my project is NOT required. just let me know. and, FULL CREDIT will be included, as will you be added as an Author if you have an itch.io profile

with that, i can't guarantee everyone will get in the Jam that wants to be but you'll definitely be in THIS Challenge and i'll add appropriate entries that don't make it to the Jam in post-Jam updates to mine.

further, winner(s) here MAY be eligible to receive any prizes that my entry may win.

odds are that i already have what may end up as prizes, there, so... but i'm sure something will become a prize HERE.

finally, so that we don't end up with 1/2 a dozen space invaders clones, give us a hint as to what you're working on?

PS, Phaelax, i'm calling you out! this is YOUR thread and you need to partake

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2022 15:25
Quote: "PS, Phaelax, i'm calling you out! this is YOUR thread and you need to partake "

I'd love to participate more, I'm just always so busy. I code for a living and this week I'm trying to renew my sec+ as well before I leave for vacation in july.

The tower defense game I started was space-related, maybe I could work on that. As for mini games, I could whip up space invaders or asteroids (i've done both before)

Maybe a starfox style game, I call it Space Goat.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:05:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:05:02