Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Classic Version 2021.12.06

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
A new version is available on Steam and TGC servers. Changes -

AAB export updated to ensure certain media is not compressed when the APK is delivered.
Removed warning messages for deprecated commands such as EnableClearDepth and EnableClearColor.
Updated documentation for the CreateMemblock command.
IndexOf compiler error message updated.
Fixed a memory leak caused by creating dynamic and kinematic bodies.
Classic now targets API level 30 for Google (this isn't mentioned in the change log in the app - you don't need to alter any settings when exporting to get this change).
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2021 22:53 Edited at: 7th Dec 2021 23:25
Hi Orvillian, thanks for the update, so far so good BUT....The generate keystore is still pointing to the wrong place in this version though. I thought this would have been fixed in the Classic version the same time as the Studio version. Also, it would have been nice to have the java path in Android export the same as Studio. I was under the impression that all core features would be the same in both versions. Does this mean I will have to wait another 3 months before Classic is updated? or won't it be updated at all?

These aren't big issues and can easily be overcome but for new users this could be off-putting especially with the built in help (F1) also not displaying the examples for the last few months due to a server configuration issue.

So from a clean installation the keystore generator is broken, the java path is broken and the F1 help is broken.
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
The Studio IDE received several updates for this version including a change to the generate keystore path and the java path export. Given the time it takes to add these changes into the Classic IDE it wasn't possible for this update.

The server configuration issue is due to be fixed this week or next.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2021 07:23
Good news about the server configuration. Thank you.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
In the drop down there is still no option for the API level 30.

I am sure you will get it there..
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2021 04:37 Edited at: 9th Dec 2021 04:41
This isn't a big deal it just means the minimum target you can set is 29 instead of 30. In reality the minimum is always set a lot lower to ensure maximum compatibly.

For me this version is working well once the java path has been set and the keytool has been moved to the correct location. Once the F1 Help examples are fixed (hopefully in the next week) this version will be spot in.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2021 15:19
@Orvillian there seems to be an issue broadcasting to a device that is also serving as a mobile hotspot and to be honest this setup has always been a bit hit and miss, is this kind of thing supported/recommended or do I need to setup a dedicated WLAN just for AppGameKit?

I use my phone because I was spending a lot of time away from home and paying for broadband I never used so I cancelled it but I still have the router but I'd rather just use this setup, if I could get a conclusive "we don't really support that" then I will stop bleating on about it.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
@PartTimeCoder I have experienced some difficulties in the past with broadcasting when some devices would be able to use WiFi without any issues yet would not pick up the IDE broadcast signal. Restarting the devices or router allowed me to broadcast and then maybe the next day it would fail again and another restart was necessary, but I was never entirely sure what was causing it to go wrong. In the end switching to another router fixed everything for me. If you can explain your network set up I can look into it and see whether anything can be done to get it working reliably. Perhaps it could just be a case of changing some network settings but hard to tell with these things.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2021 23:07
I had a feeling you would say something along those lines

I had my DSL disconnected as I was working away from home a lot and was paying £45 a month for internet I never used plus the phone charges, it had to go! so I am using my Galaxy S10e now for everything, it is my router and my modem, but I still have the old DSL router

if I hook the phone and AppGameKit to the old DSL router its a tad more stable but I have to enter the IP of the device, ok no biggie but this poses the problem where as android disconnects its self from the DSL router because it can not find active internet, it deems it to be a dead network and disconnects so I have to keep reconnecting, I tried disabling mobile data to prevent android finding a preferred network but that did not work

if I use just the phone then its the same it will work when I set the IP but the DHCP changes the local IP almost every time I open the player app and sometimes mid session so it will be working and then just stop and I have to reconfigure everything, its not the end of the world but its quite frustrating

That is Classic, I cant get Studio to connect to anything no matter what I try, it just refuses point blank, but to be honest I have always has issues with Studio on that old DSL router and I will take on the chin that my method of connection is not quite orthodox and the DLS router is over a decade old but it should connect to the S10 its what 4 years old.

I have a feeling its IP settings but I do not know enough about it to diagnose or fix, there does not appear to be any DHCP or DNS settings in the phones hotspot management screen so I am at a loss on how to set static IP's or even if its possible, I'll do a little bit of research and see if I can make sense of any of it but any input or advice you could give on the matter would be appreciated.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
tarkusAB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2021 22:23
Hi, I currently can't export my game. I get this error when trying to export an App Bundle: "Could not find Java. Make sure you have JDK 8 or above installed"

I tried on Ubuntu and Windows. Same error. I don't see where I can change the Java path.

When will this be fixed? Or how do I fix it?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2021 22:36 Edited at: 20th Dec 2021 22:36
@tarkusAB,

you're running the latest Classic?

otherwise, see HERE re: setting the PATH environment variable.
tarkusAB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2021 23:11
Hi Virtual Nomad. Thank you, implementing that change worked. You saved me a headache!

Yes I am running the latest version of AppGameKit Classic (steam version), and verified as such before implementing those changes. Still no clue how to fix it in Ubuntu, but I was able to export from my Windows environment by following your instructions.

It's a shame that such basic functionality requires this level of tinkering. I hope it gets patched soon.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2021 23:31 Edited at: 20th Dec 2021 23:36
i thought classic/studio were both auto-finding the bin folder now but now i don't know. that's why i asked if your classic version was current.

meanwhile, THIS looks helpful/familiar (but i've never uses ubuntu). worth a skim?

even better?

and, you're welcome. now go make something fun
tarkusAB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2021 18:27
So I made the suggested change and it still didn't work, but I come to find out I did not have the correct version of JDK installed. Silly me. I installed it, and now I can export APKs again. I think that was the problem all along, not the path. However, exporting App Bundles still fails, though now I get "Failed to add files to zip file" error.
wedgeeguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for fixing the memory leak issue when recreating physic bodies! I've tested with the code that I initially used to report the bug and everything seems to be working correctly now!

Thank you again!
Bruce
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2022 16:15 Edited at: 10th Jan 2022 17:09
prompted by this post on steam re: "could not find keytool program" / failure to generate keystore file on classic, i tried it for myself (for the first time) and had the same problem:

i found keytool.exe where i had installed JDK (C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17\bin), copied it and went to my classic install location's android folder "App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Editor\data\android", and created the "\jre\bin\" folders (per the error message) and pasted keytool.exe inside and was then able to generate keystore files.

hope this is an appropriate workaround until it's properly addressed. (per the newsletter, classic won't see an update until march+).

IE, it's not ideal to have multiple copies/versions of files spread about but it works, for now.

in the meantime, if there's another option, please share? IE, is there a config file somewhere that is sending AppGameKit to the wrong location that we can edit?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2022 11:01 Edited at: 12th Jan 2022 04:24
I reported this bug to Orvillian before the last update and I used the same method as you to get around it. I'd forgotten about it so I've not tried it in the latest updates. I can't remember if I put it on Github either

I'm hoping the full screen issue when using pin hole cameras will be addressed as well in the next update. It will mean I have been waiting nearly 6 months for a fix which isn't ideal. The updates aren't frequent enough in my opinion, 3 months is a long time and if an issue isn't addressed it then becomes 6 months, 9 months etc.

In the 3 months between updates I wonder how much time do TGC actually spend updating AppGameKit? Not long by the looks of it, probably a week at most I would say.

TGC have a policy of fixing all known bugs for the 3 monthly updates for GameGuru. It would be good if they could apply this same policy to AGK.
Nieb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2022 04:25 Edited at: 15th Jan 2022 21:01
I got it working.

What's the word on the JDK fix for AppGameKit Classic?

I'm trying to update an Android App, Google complains about API target if I use an older version of AGK.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2022 03:25
A Windows 64-bit broadcaster/debugger would be nice to have. Debugging projects with 64-bit only plugins doesn't appear to be an option with Classic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:26:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:26:11