Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help 3ds is killing me

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi guys, im portuguese so im sorry if the english isnt very good, first of all, great job of you all, this forum is great, but i cant find the solution to my problem, im really stressed and angry, im reallyy about to leave darkbasicpro, all my entusiasm as gone away:

1- i understand tha dbp as a bug about 3ds objects, it crashes wen loadind.

2- i know who to do and animate some decent 3d studio max models.

3- i cant load them to dbp, if i convert them do .x they dont animate and the plugin's ive found for that (like panda directx exporter) have big bugs ! i cant find anything else to convert 3ds to mdl or md2, i discovered milkshape3d , and managed some tuturials but im really incompatible with milkshape 3d, its stupid and i hated (i know its a good program but it just doesnt work for me.

4 i can only animate in 3ds, please help me, i was so excited when i found darkbasic and know im so sad, i even had a nice idea for the alienware competition but i didnt started it because i knew i couldnt solve the 3ds problem, i have spent this last weak reading all the forum messages, i cant find anything, please guys, help me

im just a kid (17y) but i wish i could some day be a great game developer.... but i keep getting stuked everywere, besides there is no one to help me here in portugal...damm....i dont know if i shoul quit programming or not ...

I will make urban chaos 2, ive already concepted teh story, its my dream, i wont to go to muky foot
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 08:51
first of all, welcome to the forums

i can tell you that dbpro does load 3d objects just fine....if it has some problems with you i can tell you that it is either your computers graphics card or you may have some problems with direct x.....when i first got dbpro only text works because i had to updat my graphics driver.....

i don't know about modelling programs(my brother does my modelling), but it could also be that your program has a problem exporting models as well.....we had some problems exporting in milkshape ans i am sure that problems similiar to that could occur in 3ds max....

3rd of all, i strongly advise you NOT TO GIVE UP!!!! i can't stress that enough.....we all have days that we want to give it up, but if you stick with it, it can be extremely rewarding....

i don't know your problems well enough to give you alot of help, but if your problem matches anything i have said, post it and i can further help you....

good luck,
Bishop

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
ei bishop, thanks men, i dont know why but today i woke up at 9 am and by the time im writing this post ive already made and animated a small "all-made-of-boxes" model, hehe !!!!!!!!!! Im the man...im the man , realy thanks bishop !

could you help me on one thing ? wen i load and position the 3dobject i made e isnt position from is center, but instead from is left or right, this makes te object to not center on the position were i put im, do you know what i mean? could you help ?

many thinks for the motivation you gave me bishop

I will make urban chaos 2, ive already concepted teh story, its my dream, i wont to go to muky foot
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
ei bishop never mind, i solved the problem, it was an option in milkshape hehe, duh ! but i notice something, i had all the cenario made but when i loaded the object the fps droped from 60 to 30, i dont get, the object is small and doesnt uses materials , what can be the problem ?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 05:50
Quote: "the fps droped from 60 to 30"

what polygon count is this model ? In Milkshape click Tools/Show Model Statistics and tell me what the triangles amount was.

Because you havent loaded a texture DBC/DBP attempts to apply a surface texture for you using I think "Gourad Shading".
Its a little more cpu intensive than a textured surface from memory. ( im no expert it just looks like it ) gathers the Directional light from light zero and attempts to grey shade the object.

Its the same as comparing the color object command to a textured object. Try to keep the texture as small as possible and divisble by 2 or 8. If you want a raw coloured object then make a small 16 x 16 image and texture it with that.

Show me how your code looks as well because sometimes stuff in the main loop is not required each loop and could be hindering speed.

Your video card will play a major role in the polygon amount vs speed on the screen, so what brand is your video card as well

try this code it uses a box and texture as an example

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 21:19 Edited at: 1st Jan 2004 21:20
If there is a problem with the .x exporting on your software, try just making the object a 3DS file and then enter...

or something.

EDIT: Sorry, should have read the whole post, forgot to check if you'd solved the problem and just answered it straight away,

Am I the only one here who's really confused?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:38:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:38:28