Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [SOLVED] Email subscriptions, a little confused...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2022 18:16
So, I just received an email from TGC:
Quote: "Since you haven’t been checking our emails lately, we’ll go ahead and take you off our list. But... if we’ve got it wrong and you do want to hear our development updates and receive offers and discounts on our products just click below"

Now my confusion is how are they able to tell I haven't read their emails??(I have btw lolz)
Not the end of the world I know but I just want a reality check from someone here to make sure I've not lost the plot!
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2022 06:27
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
There is an explanation from Rick about this e-mail some have received concerning the update Newsletter.
With that said., the E-Mail Protocols (believe POP3 supports it,. while SMTP doesn't) where it will send back certain Status information... such-as if an E-Mail was Received, Read, Flagged, Forwarded, etc.
These technically can (although no idea is TGC actually do) track such status feedback for Metric Information.

And keep in mind I'm not singling out TGC... almost no business' I know actually make usage of said E-Mail Features.
That said I don't know of many people who actually read Newsletters., I mean they'll mark them as "Read" but they couldn't tell you what was in them.
Probably because most of the time they're little more than filler information rather than anything interesting.
Again I'm speaking generally not specifically here.
Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2022 13:29
I had the same email yesterday, I just re-subscribed and all is well.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2022 19:07
Thanks Raven, informative as always, to my great shame I had never considered anything like that when really its obvious as heck! I only ever skim read them anyway as there is not usually very much content that interests me these days if any at all.

@Steve Ancell I had done that immediately anyway thanks.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2022 22:52
It's done with tracking pixels.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2022 19:24
Thanks Loktofeit, appreciate it
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2022 03:39
Quote: "believe POP3 supports it,. while SMTP doesn't"

smtp sends the email, pop3 pulls it down. Do you maybe mean imap?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:34:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:34:06