Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Feature Request: Make automatic internet/server connection optional!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be great if the user could decide if he/she wants to let AppGameKit Classic/AGK Studio to go online, connect to a server and display news or promotion. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it's distracting. I look at AppGameKit as a PRO tool so I feel any kind of internet connection thingy should be optional.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2022 11:53
While I would like to disable the "News" Pop-Up when I start., or like Visual Studio have it as a Tabbed Window that is present until you Start / Open a Project... but beyond that I don't see any real issue.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2022 15:23 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2022 15:24
The same News popup can be very annoying when it is displayed every time the app is started. Perhaps if it could limited to display once a week it would be better. An option to disable it completely would be good though.
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2022 14:05
I support TGC and love the tools they provide but I would expect advertisments inside free programs but not really in something I payed full price for.
Regards Sph!nx
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2022 15:10 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2022 15:21
they don't bother me much but i remember when the ad functionality was added.

in there, you'll see reference to a timestamp file (installstamp.dat, i believe)

for Studio, see:
Users\UserName\AppData\Local\AGKApps\TheGameCreators\Ide

and Classic:
...\AppData\Local\agk

i assume AGK/S skims that, downloads whatever graphic & news and displays News/Announcements based on the date inside.

might be worth tinkering with until we get a proper "don't show this again" tick-box/option.

maybe change the date to sometime in the future so it appears "expired" when skimmed?

add: it might not be that simple. i just changed the dates forward and backward and deleted it altogether trying to trigger the News again but "nothing". <shrugs>

...that was studio. changing/deleting on Classic DID trigger the news again which resets the file to 06/20/22 inside so, it's def related.
agkcoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your input. I think something like this would be an elegant solution.

smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2022 06:49
Hint close the add properly using the nutton and it won't show again. Otherwise it opens everytime.

Prime
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree the news popup is distracting when it happens. When I open an IDE, anything besides working on my code is an unwelcome distraction.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:28:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:28:48