Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dido: Life for rent - God music, bad CD

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 16:01
Copy Control, Peh!

Read on:

Quote: "I have just brought the Dido life for rent CD. As with many people when i went to play the CD on my PC i could not miss the clicks and stutters caused but the copy protection.

I am not an administrator, so it is impossible for me to 'upgrade' windows media player. Even if i could upgrade, the unpgrade is not microsoft certified so i would not attempt it.

How do you propose i play the CD? More to the point how do you propose i use my right to make a back-up copy of the CD if i cannot play it?

I know that i am also in my rights to put a copy of the music onto a MP3 Player, as long as the Original CD / Backup CD is not in use.

Is there a non-copy controlled version of the CD that i can swap for my current CD? If not i would consider the CD defective and return it ASAP.

As for the technicalities of copying a CD, it is very easy to copy a CD with even a half-decent Hi-Fi + Sound Card, so i do not see how this is stopping people from copying/uploading music to the internet for people to download.

Thank You,

- Martyn Pittuck"

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 16:01
Ps, it is a email i just sent to BMI

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 16:33 Edited at: 31st Dec 2003 16:37
Simon Cowell won't be pleased with you ... or is he with BMG?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 16:36
did you cc a copy to a respective journalist as the media is your stage in this 2004 climate.

btw happy new years from australia and 54 minutes into the new year
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 17:01 Edited at: 31st Dec 2003 17:04
According to PC Format, apparently in English law, we have no right to backup music/software for our own use, unless explicitly defined, and I quote :

"Under UK law it's illegial to make a copy of copyrighted materials (CDs, DVD's, games) for any reason without the consent of the copyright owner."

The place for all great plug-ins
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 17:19
But u are allowed to make a copy of the medium for back-up purposes as long as only one copy is used and the other is in a 'safe' place (ie where a back-up should be).

Also, u are allowed to make a copy for EEM Players (electrically Eraseable Medium). Like a MP3 Player.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 19:33
i don't think they should be allowed to stop cd's or any other medium from playing or running on a pc, for me my pc is where i play almost all the cd's i listen to as the cp player in my small hifi set up is broken. also i don't like that some dvd's won't run if the tv out is enabled, this is just plain wrong as while i have a pc with a dvd drive and a good graphics card with tv out to go to my tv, why should i have to buy a seperate, lower quality, dvd player just to watch them on the tv.

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 21:48
'if it gets any worse then you'd be better off with a pirate copy and get less problems'

I have to be honest here, that's already the case with a good deal of over-protected software. The pirated copies run better. Lots better.

Luckily we have the nice people who release just .exes with the copy protection removed, so hopefuly people will continue the buy the actual games and just get the NoCDs...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 21:52
Cdex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ ripped the only protected cd I have seen. I think it was a bmi cd. I was temped to install kazaa and start sharing because of the incoveniance just to copy it.

I guess it's only a matter of time before computer cd drives are available that will read the disks normally.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
lassix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 22:17 Edited at: 31st Dec 2003 22:19
hmm... I had the problem with Natalie Imbruglia - White Lilies Island CD about a year ago. the copy control crashed my comp everytime I tried inserting the cd! (and it was a present)

I also bought the new Dido cd, but I haven't got any problems with it all.. and I've trie car stereos and all that. I did notice it has copy control since by inserting the cd it wants to launch the player for the cd. well, that's stupid, because you can always click cancel and stop it from doing anything. Then just play it in whatever prog you like. That's what I did.

speaking of the new dido cd, there's some extra stuff if you go to the official website with the cd in drive.

as for the problems I had with the Robbie Williams - Escapology cd, I used a 3-year old crappy burn program that listed the tracks on the cd nicely. then I just saved out each track, one by one, as .wav's.

[edit] crap... wrong login once again [/edit]

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 22:30
'I guess it's only a matter of time before computer cd drives are available that will read the disks normally.'

If it isn't made illegal by our wonderful, corperation-controlled governments ...

aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 08:38
At this very moment John Ashcroft in combination with the RIAA is spear heading yet another movement... To shut down the anti-goverment software pirates of the DB forums who complain about the wonderful albeit annoying, overbearing, insanely complex, unneccesary, crappy, obnoxious, and oh yes greedy headache inducing copywrite protection.

I hate 'em all... When I finish my game it's going in My Shared Folder and from there to all the computers of people using Kazaa and I-mesh, and a free download lacking copywrite protection on my website.

Take that RIAA and Ashcroft! (oh and all of you corporate programmers who made copywrite protection on CD's, Serial Numbers, Registration, and periodic Cd checks(DBPro) possible.)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 09:45
What's wrong with being a corporate programmer? I happen to think it's common sense and sanity to want some money for your hard work. Computers and food and taxes just so happen to take that money and you need to get it from somewhere...

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 10:37
I have no problems buying CD's, just when downloaded music works better than the CD (£9) how the hell do i justify spending money on CD's?

I listen to CD's on my MP3 player and PC mostly, i only play the radio on the background (kerang).

But news is not bad, i have got around the problem and i am making a personal back-up of the CD onto my PC AWP. lol

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 13:08 Edited at: 1st Jan 2004 13:09
copy protection is never gonna work in the long term, it`s just pure logic

a..only idiots would think copy protection was a good idea

b..ergo..anyone programing copy protection is an idiot

c..anyone not programing copy protection is smart enough not to waste there time

d..so smart people don`t program copy protection

e..if smart people don`t write protection then one of the things they do must be writing cracks for it

f..and they are smarter than the people who make the protection

g..hence they will always break the said protection

h..so protection will never work

(this is a little tongue in cheek) , happy new year.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:28:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:28:49