Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Is it true that AppGameKit doesn't support .dds files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I'm still learning the ins and outs of AppGameKit (I'm coming over from DarkBASIC), and now I'm wondering about changes to the .dds textures on models. Back in the DB days, when you got your hands on a model, let's say from the Game Creator's Store online or one of their DarkMATTER packages, you'd get the model itself, either a .x or a .obj file, and then you'd get the texture for it in a seperate .dds file. If I remember correctly, the texture would load automatically when you loaded the model. You just had to make sure the texture file was in the directory with the model file. So I'm trying to carry some of those DarkMATTER files over to AppGameKit, and the models seem to load, but the textures don't. I cruised the forum for a bit and I found this topic where one user says that the .dds format is no longer supported, and no one seemed to correct him ( https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220367 )

Is this true? Are the old DarkMATTER models obsolete? Are all models on the old Game Creator Store obsolete? (I did think it was strange that the main Game Creator website didn't seem to have a link to it.) What formats are typically used for model textures now?

I'm thinking about getting that 3D Asset package from the website; are they in a different format? If so, I can totally just use those.

I even fed the .dds file into an online converter to make it a .png, and then loaded it in manually with the loadimage and the setobjectimage commands, and it... tried(?) to load... but no real success... ... ... so what's the deal?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

tarkusAB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2022 09:15
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
It is important to understand that DarkBasic was built on DirectX, and AppGameKit is built on OpenGL (with Vulkan available as an option in AppGameKit Studio). DDS is a DirectX file format so yea it is not supported. I've used PNG for model textures regularly, not sure why it isn't working for you.
SomeOldDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, thanks. Very direct answer. Yeah I worked with DB for about five years on and off. I like to think I was good at the commands and building programs, but I wasn't very knowledgeable about "under the hood" things. Thank you!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:47:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:47:19