Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Is there a 64bit DBP ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2022 12:48
Hi

Can anyone confirm if there is a 64bit DBP somewhere that can compile executables which are fully 64bit.

I have been patching 32bit executables to be large address aware but that only provides up to 3GB and not very stable.

Thanks
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 11th Aug 2022 13:57
weird you must be reading my mind, I'm literally just compiling DBPro to x64 in Visual Studio.
Pro Programmer / Data Scientist, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2022 14:29
WOW

Please let me know how it goes. I would be very grateful if we can test this with BIMA.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 12th Aug 2022 11:05
it's going very well at the moment, I will let you know when I complete it. it will be exciting to use these in projects. I should have done this yonks ago. Time is never on my side.
Pro Programmer / Data Scientist, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2022 16:17
That's great news and thanks very much.

Definitely will be a significant achievement for DBP and hopefully BIMA too.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 12th Aug 2022 16:53 Edited at: 12th Aug 2022 19:57
All compiling ok except animation, music, objects, sound, system and setup projects (i'll keep adding here which projects don't convert so easily). Figuring it out. This is pretty awesome.
sman512
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2022 18:44
Wow that a very good news! Can you also change a index size of vertices, indexes of meshes from word to dword if it possible? DBPro can't make meshes that contains more than 65k vertices and it is very frustrating...
GS
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 12th Aug 2022 22:31
I'll certainly be looking into the directx 64 bit side of things
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 13th Aug 2022 21:33
Main reason for 64 bit version is to overcome memory limit?
And what about plugins ( Physics for example )?
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 13th Aug 2022 22:54
There is no source code for dark physics , unless anyone knows different
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2022 18:51
Yeah I was also wondering if making the core DBP 64bit will be sufficient for things like Dark Lights and Dark AI.

The desire for us is to remove the 32bit memory limitation for BIMA but we have a dependency on some of the DBP plugins.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 16th Aug 2022 15:59
ok, I just found the source for Dark Dynamics, Dark Physics, DArk Lights etc. I will attempt to compile
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2022 20:30
Quote: "The desire for us is to remove the 32bit memory limitation for BIMA but we have a dependency on some of the DBP plugins."

Yeah sounds wonderfull, however some plugins are widely used in many projects ( like physics and Matrix utils ) and i hope they will be still usefull.
It will be a new compiler, I guess? Or just another versions of main DBPro dlls?
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 17th Aug 2022 08:10 Edited at: 17th Aug 2022 08:10
the source can be found here:

C:\Dark-Basic-Pro-Initial-Files\Dark Basic Public Shared\Official Plugins, depending if and where you have downloaded/installed dbpro from github.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2022 03:30
Kuper makes a good point. Yeah this would be huge. However I am dependent on Sparky's Collision, Image Kit v2, Dark Animation, for various things.

Also Bored' last time I talked with you was years ago, I was attempting to convert MS3D animations to DBO. You were working on a similar conversion program. I was able to load an MS3D file into memory. All the vertices, polys, and other relationships into arrays and variables perfectly fine. However I just couldn't figure out how to pack it all back up into a DBO file. I got so close I could export the model as a DBO without weights and without animation. The documentation is just so vague and I was always screwing up some of the bytes. I just couldn't get it done.

Were you ever able sort out that DBO conversion?

Mage's Modular Code - Get awesome UI controls and powerful Bitmap Fonts!
Screen Device Recovery - Stop your apps from crashing when minimized/tabbed/screen locked.
CPU Friendly Frame Limiter - Make your app generate less computer heat + noise, and use less battery life!
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 19th Sep 2022 09:26
@Mage: Yes, it's been a while, had 2 children since we last talked, so it's been hectic. I will see if I can find time to convert MS3D anims to DBO. I have been looking to get various formats into DBO, but life gets in the way.
64bit conversion for DBO has been going ok, It's been a few weeks since I last managed to convert Darh Physics/ligts to 64 bit. More time is needed.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2022 16:37 Edited at: 19th Sep 2022 16:39
@Bored
What a hopeful surprise, I hope your kids are well. gz.

To that end, this might lighten the load. I have attached a dba that loads the MS3D file into variables/arrays, then takes it all and writes the MS3D file again using that data. Basically most of the leg work figuring out the file format.

Things to consider:
1. DBO seems to limit a vertex to one set of u/v coords. MS3D allows multiple. This example corrects that problem.
2. MS3D uses XYZ Euler rotations and DBO uses Quaternions.

Screen Device Recovery - Stop your apps from crashing when minimized/tabbed/screen locked.
CPU Friendly Frame Limiter - Make your app generate less computer heat + noise, and use less battery life!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 27th Sep 2022 09:33 Edited at: 27th Sep 2022 09:34
@Mage= I've used my own code to rework the importing of MS3D format files so it uses less memory and I've made the use of pointers where I needed to also, all I have to do now is get the format into DBO, I have some ideas, just need to find a bit more time to do it all. I am also working on getting B3D (BlitzBasic) format imported which I luckily had done some code for that a while back. If Ihad tons of time I would do this in VS C+ or Purebasic, DBPro is just quicker to develop in.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2022 06:33
Wow I hope you can succeed, having a converter like that would make things very convenient. MS3D is a very simple editor to use and it's convenient to create simple objects quickly. It's currently a problem exporting with animation weights, which was my motivation for trying to make the conversion.

Some thoughts about DBO Format:

The MS3D code is definitely really rough, zero polish. The priority at the time was just get it working. I never got back to tending to it. It was part of a larger project where an MS3D file could be converted to and from DBO, just without the weights and animations. The DBO file format specification is rather vague in areas, and I was constantly getting some of the bytes wrong. Especially with the weights. However the huge hurdle came down to rotational values, converting from Euler XYZ to Quaternion. In the end I figured it out, it took really long time, but I was too spent to tackle the last mountain which was encoding the animation at the end of the DBO. The angle conversions are just the first step, in that process since you need to make sure all bones have correct initial rotational values. Not to mention new angles in animation frames.

Plus good grief the non animation section of DBO it was a mess of convoluted parent frames, sibling frames, child frames, empty frames. In MS3D format they just list the bones, list the rotations, etc. So simple. In DBO its so vague it's all a big tree of frames, and half of them don't seem to do anything. Like all of the mesh data was packed in the parent frame, and there's even a list of all of the bones in there somewhere. There are Matrices all over the place, with empty of default data sets, no explanation why they are needed just that they have to be there.

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 29th Sep 2022 12:30 Edited at: 29th Sep 2022 12:30
@Mage-I will probably shed light on the DBO mystery.The specs are dreadful but worked it all out eventually. I will post code and try to explain what's going on and why the code is doing what it's doing. Maybe a kind of tutorial. I use(d) same code to convert GG MAX DBO to .X, fully animated/textured and get them in GG Classic which uses the same .FX files. There's a few werd things I had to do to get rotations working and when converting to OBJ I had to use matrices / directx SDK math to get the groups to position correctly. So if you need to see my code on weights etc I'll upload and do my best to explain.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2022 01:37
I'm sure it would be an interesting read. We're probably the only two people on earth at this point who are aware + care about DBO file format specs. I thought mentioning some of the trials and tribulations would be interesting. Someone else trying to bust their brain on the same issues and so on.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 26th Dec 2022 15:45
Greetings, I was wondering if you were still working on this project? I would LOVE a 64 bit DBPro, especially if it gets past the memory limit. A while back I was messing with making a minecraft-esque engine and as soon as I get close to 4 gigs of memory (using DBPro 9ex) it just crashes. It could probably be made a lot better than to use so much memory but it was still frustrating to have a limit when I have so much more memory to use.

Anyway, any updates on this? Thanks in advance!
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 26th Dec 2022 19:02
@Xeridox- thanks for the memory jogger, yes still working on this. I'm doing all sorts of stuff at moment but I will get back on this in new year, need a break, I'll keep you posted .
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 26th Dec 2022 19:03
@Xeridox- thanks for the memory jogger, yes still working on this. I'm doing all sorts of stuff at moment but I will get back on this in new year, need a break, I'll keep you posted .
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2022 17:29
Quote: "All compiling ok except animation, music, objects, sound, system and setup projects"

That's an awful lot of exceptions to claim its compiling OK...
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 28th Dec 2022 12:06 Edited at: 30th Dec 2022 18:22
Well it's not considering there are 36 odd projects to compile. They are being worked on, if I can bothered now. It's also probably more than you or anyone else has done, so 5 or 6 to still compile correctly out of 36 is pretty good going,
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 3rd Jan 2023 04:39
Awesome, Bored! Thanks for the update!

I am looking forward to the finishing of this project.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2023 08:42
Happy New Year !

@Xeridox: many thanks. The last 5 / 6 projects that aren't compiling are fairly straightforward to update/fix and hoping to do that soon maybe this week / next, time permitting. If you PM me your email, I will send the fully functioning 64 bit project to you once it's been thoroughly tested. This applies to anyone that wants it.

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2023 10:48 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2023 12:04
good news, update - > 33 out of 37 projects now compile with success in x64 bit. wading through code, some of it is applicable to 32bit and not 64 bit. projects yet to update / compile successfully are SOUND, MUSIC, OBJECTS and ANIMATON. These will be easy to fix, but for now, back to my main work programming job. Will keep you posted
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2023 18:32
If you need folks to test this out, I'd be willing to volunteer. Though I don't use DBP anymore these days, I think this could be an important project to preserve DB for future newbies.

Is there a chance of adding 64bit variables? Or will we still be constrained to 32-bit integers?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2023 21:29
NVAPI64.lib now implemented and OBJECTS project now compiles in true 64 bit. 3 to go.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 4th Jan 2023 09:07
MUSIC project now compiles under 64 bit. Animation / sound to go.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2023 16:46
This is absolutely wonderful and fantastic news.

Can't wait to see DBP compiling to 64bit. Great work on this ground breaking stuff.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2023 23:09
Wow that is a big U turn! Was there any point of you posting if you did not wish to share or did it even exist in the first place? I might as well have posted, that I just made UE6 using DBC - it equates to the same result, prove it or it did not happen as that is how this is going to end up being perceived!! Idk wth has gotten under your skin lately but this is no way to behave - insulting learners with "wtf" and "learn"responses, your posts are usually far more intelligent AND inspiring than this. Once upon a time everyone was at their stage in whatever language(s) they have learnt - including you! I can only assume and hope you have had a LOT of booze in a short period of time, got the wrong end of the stick over something or something terribly distressing happened in your life(ofc no-one "hopes" this part), but for crying out loud man, get a grip - the only "shame" right now is not what the community would miss out on, but the shame you bring upon yourself with such disdain and disrespect for other users! A person could be the smartest on the planet, but nobody is going to want anything to do with them if all they actually bring to the table is nothing but negativity at every level.
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2023 21:05
I see a bunch of Bored's latest comments appear to be deleted from several threads. (Shows him as the latest commenter Feb27, however he is not).
This suggests things have not gone well, that's a shame. I was eagerly awaiting updates.

Over the last few years I have noticed it's been a relatively common issue that his comments are deleted shortly after posting particularly if he posts a file. So if you do the usual and remember to come back later when you have time, you end up not being able to get the file you intended to get. Not sure why. I had to contact him at a later date to get a copy of the updated 2005 DBO file format specification, which he generously provided, a second time. A month ago I even copied all of the text from his recent threads on DBO format in case the comments were deleted.

I don't like bringing this up but thought it might be worth mentioning at least once. I hope everyone is well.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2023 12:56 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2023 19:42
guys, let's give BOTR the benefit of the doubt. 18 yrs on the forum has earned it.

@mage, unrealted to your last post but seems you've missed my recent PM ?
Dark Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2023 14:19
Bored has been banned from the forums!
Be Incidental...
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2023 15:58
@Dark Star
That's strange indeed...
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2023 23:26
A most unfortunate outcome.

Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2023 21:23
Can we know for what reason Bored of the Rings was banned?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 15:11:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 15:11:46