Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi.
I tried in vain to get a google maps displayed using agk.
I set up a google billing account and generated an api key. I tried restricting it, unrestricting it and used other people's code from here (using my api key) to display a map...
All I got is the big checkerboard and red X every time.

Can somebody please tell this monkey with a pc what I'm doing wrong?
Is there a step by step process showing how to properly set up and use api keys with agk? (I have searched)

It's probably an easy fix and blatantly staring me in the face, but I'm completely lost on this one.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2022 09:54 Edited at: 27th Oct 2022 09:58
hey, futsio. i had a play with it a couple months ago and this works for me:

i'm sure i got the code from somewhere on the forum tho i may have altered it since the move/zoom isn't working but it does pull up the map:

hopefully this helps get you going. if you get the rest working, please post?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
futsio1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Virtual Nomad.

I saw that code and tried it, but my issue lies with the api key creation and implementing it into the code.
Please be patient with me!
what api is required for use in an app?.....more importantly...is it free to use?

I know i sound like a complete noob here, but where this is concerned...I am!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2022 20:53 Edited at: 27th Oct 2022 21:05
i dont remember much about setting things up other than having to set up credentials and manually enabling the maps api within the cloud console. it wasn't very clear to me at the time but if i'm able to fumble my way into the right spot, you should be able to as well

beyond that, the code provided above shows where your key goes. either change GLOBAL myKey$ = "YourKeyHere" or insert it @ line ~63

finally, at the top of my console pages is:
Quote: "Free trial status: $300.00 credit and 17 days remaining - with a full account, you'll get unlimited access to all of Google Cloud Platform."

so... in 17 days, i dont know whats going to happen. i believe i set things up in august so that's ~3 mos?

i thought it was always free up to a point/number of hits/uses:
Quote: "All customers can use 20+ products for free, up to monthly usage limits."

https://cloud.google.com/pricing/
futsio1
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks nomad.
I'll go back to my fumbling through with the clear as mud api system lol.....i like your optimism.

or I might wait and see if you've been billed $300 in 17 days! lol
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2022 12:16
I've had a free Google Cloud account, including the use of the Google Maps API for several years and never been charged or gone over my free usage limits. I haven't used it with AppGameKit but I do embed interactive maps into several customer websites.

When you open a new Google Cloud account you get $300 free credit to use against API's and services which they normally charge for. The Google Cloud Free Program includes a recurring $200 monthly credit for the Google Maps Platform. Depending upon how you use the Maps API, this equates to around 28,500 dynamic map views per month or around 99,000 static map views before you would start being charged extra. More information is available here: https://mapsplatform.google.com/pricing/
futsio1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the help and soothing my concerns over the pricing.
It seems my problem was based around opening a billing account and key activation (duh)

Every days a school day.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2022 22:02
Excellent stuff VN. Super usefull

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:42:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:42:37