Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Valley of the Kings - 2D Platformer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2022 02:15 Edited at: 17th Nov 2023 05:02
See latest post for most recent updates!

Hello TGC Forums! We’re Blue Herb Software and this is the demo release of our game Valley of the Kings, a 2D action platformer where you die in one hit. This game wears its NES inspiration on its sleeve, blending an 8-bit art style with modern aesthetics like particle effects and lighting. As a two-person team, we’ve spent the better part of 2022 developing this project in AppGameKit and wanted to take a moment to get some feedback on what we’ve built so far.

So, what’s in this demo? A vertical slice of the full game: precise platforming controls, 3 abilities, 21 rooms to explore, a suite of enemies and obstacles to avoid, a few collectibles and (short) cutscenes, 2 original songs, and a final boss fight against the Sphinx, gatekeeper to the tombs below.

We’re also looking to gauge interest in this project as a full release. All comments, encouragement, and questions are more than welcome!

Playable demo and screen shots on Itch.io: https://blue-herb-software.itch.io/valley-of-the-kings

Keyboard Controls:
WASD = Movement
Space Bar = Jump (once you obtain the ability, you can press directional towards wall to wall jump)
M = Hover (hold to hover you can let go and hover again until it runs out)
Comma = Dash (use directional to choose cardinal direction, makes you invincible for a short time and can damage certain enemies)
Period = Whip Attack
P = Pause

Controller Controls:
D-Pad = Movement
A / X = Jump (once you obtain the ability, you can press directional towards wall to wall jump)
X / Square = Whip
Y / Triangle = Dash (use directional to choose cardinal direction)
B / Circle = Hover (hold to hover you can let go and hover again until it runs out)
Start = Pause

We’ve been part of this forum off and on since 2004 when we started programming in DarkBasic. While the process has changed, our passion for creating games and sharing them with this community has not. Thank you for checking out our game!
Blue Herb Software - http://www.blueherbsoftware.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2022 02:57
will play the demo later but the video = GREAT old school platformer, Bio Fox.

always up for a platformer and this is one of only a few that i've seen from AppGameKit (aquillanto comes to mind).

please do continue this project as everything seems quite sound; ie, you've just got more rooms/levels to build, unless you have more features you might add?

meanwhile, please add the MadeWithAGK metadata @ itch (under Engines/Tools) so others interested in AGK games @ itch can easily find it.

finally, if you do continue this, consider posting the demo as an HTML export so that everytime we go to play it, it's the most-current versions without having to download. it also makes it available to non-WIN folks.

Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2022 13:58
Looks good mate.
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2022 22:12
@Virtual Nomad - Thanks for the tips! I've updated our itch.io metadata as you suggested. HTML version on itch.io is a great idea as well. Yes, we plan on adding more zones, enemies, and bosses as well as providing the player with more platforming abilities to obtain (such as a double jump, for example). While this vertical slice is linear, a future version may include something like a metroidvania (albeit scaled back). Our vision is a balance of gauntlet-like rooms and open areas for exploration gated by new abilities obtained in a linear fashion. Let us know if and when you play the demo. We're eager to know how the game handles!

@Steve Ancell - Thanks for checking it out!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2022 02:23 Edited at: 8th Dec 2022 02:46
ok, gave it a run and it plays clean. the cut-scene is appreciated so i'm glad you're going that route. and, the tune is catchy, as well (tho i quickly turned the volume down since i'm not feeling that "energetic" ATM ).

i like the controls; the press-and-hold double-jump is nice but i worry that somewhere during the adventure i'll need to refine my timing re: some moving object that requires precision and that might be tough vs taking the second leap precisely when i press JUMP again.

then there's mention of a grapple hook and UP doesn't do it (and i saw nowhere to pick it up, if necessary?). i was on keyboard at first then connected my controller in case it was a Key Rollover issue and still no ghook after trying (every?) key/button so i'm stuck at the first pit (a few screens in) unless i missed something? i tried chopping trees, beating up stones, collected everything i saw, trying to free a grapplehook from somewhere to no avail.

otherwise, i dig the vibe and play. the lighting is nice as is the sand we kick up but when jumping off a block should it still kick sand? seemed a little out of place but i never played on NES so if it's "standard", ignore me

meanwhile, i see you're writing to the read folder; i can see that being nice when u dev but you're inviting others to "partake". i know you've been around quite awhile but unsure of your experience with AppGameKit since i havent seen you post much for a while but Vishnu is handy. and, HTML export does a decent job in both departments (hint, hint).

alas, and again, ignore me if you've got things where you want them.

finally, lots of potential for fun and things seem solid so looking forward to watching this progress!

add: something curious that may be related to the grapplehook is when i collect whatever item is in the ankh room (2), i get the "collect" effect but noticed nothing new or beneficial from whatever i acquired. then i went to my Quest Log which still shows 0 Ankhs:

while i was confirming this, i thought maybe bashing the urns in a certain order was required. i tried a couple of combinations but nothing new happened..

btw, it's odd to me that everything respawns when you return to a given room. non-issue; but, making sure it was intended (ie, nice, quick replay-ability ).

again, i never played NES or a lot of these kinda games ( rick dangerous mighta been the last?!) , so... glad to be doing so now, working on my ignorance.

Attachments

Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2022 03:14 Edited at: 8th Dec 2022 03:45
@Virtual Nomad - Thank you for downloading and playing our game! We started out using the appdata folder which AppGameKit defaults to, then we switched to the media folder. Vishnu looks interesting and HTML sounds even better for distribution on itch.io. We'll make sure to check that out.

A few follow up questions if you don't mind. First, were you able to figure out how to grapple? It's an ability the player has from the start, though it sounds like we need to make that clearer. When you're near a grapple point (the green hook-shaped vines that grow on some blocks) a rotating reticle will appear. Press and hold the up arrow on keyboard or the right trigger on controller to use the grapple hook and you should immediately start swinging. Our philosophy is no explicit tutorials so maybe we need to build in a little reminder in-world so players understand the mechanic right away. In other areas, we use "hieroglyphics" to convey gameplay controls. Any thoughts on that?

As for the ankh displayed in the pause menu, that's a collectible you'll find in the world. The ankh altar (the 2nd room of the game, but there's three in the demo) is a save room. If you whip the floating crystal, it saves the game. I can see how the symbol on the wall could be confused for the symbol in the pause menu. Would it have made more sense if the collectible was something other than an ankh?

When you say double jump, do you mean you were able to jump twice before touching the ground? Were you able to press jump just before hitting the ground and then it triggers a jump when you hit the ground (this is intentional). Was it an interaction with the grapple hook?

Yeah, re-spawning stuff in each room sort of comes with the territory of the retro style we're aping. I'm sure I could come up with a lore reason if I wanted to, like Dark Souls! haha

Anyways, we really appreciate you checking this out. Great to know your experience overall was positive.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2022 05:22 Edited at: 8th Dec 2022 05:29
ok, first things first: a couple of apologies.

1) for not paying attention the first time i watched the video. this 2nd time thru and "it's all right there" & i should have gleaned what i needed to know from it.

2) for not expecting the level of detail in the game. that's the difference between a simple coder like myself and a dev like you. it's apparent in the "simple" games i make; "just jump and collect. maybe whack something" kinda thing. mentioning the hieroglyphs then watching the vid and again "it's all right there" and that's on me. i need to pay more attention.

it doesn't help that i played dozens upon dozens of 20 Second Game Jam entries over the past week or so where "not much depth" was common (but still a lot of fun). but, there were a few that managed to get the "real game" notion into that 20 seconds and they stood out to me. i need to look for it vs assuming it's not there.

meanwhile, i can grapple, now i need to practice but i'll get there.

as far as jumping, my experience was basically, if i hold JUMP (once), there's an extra "oomph" in the ascension (rise, stall, rise again) that's not there if i simply tap JUMP, which i took as a different kind of "double jump" (see THIS RL example).

now that i know "there's more" to it, i'll revist the jump aspect. i seem to remember "something more" in that department but hadn't sorted it out yet. as far as a "jumping in connection with grapple" notion, i haven't yet grappled enough to see it. again, i'll get there (slowly).

and, the hieroglyphs are perfect indicators. which, all of this, and thanks for explaining everything so well, reminded me of something i heard "eons" ago. "you don't tell a chef how to prepare your meal".

you're obviously not preparing this under the golden arches, so... "Would it have made more sense..." is something i'm not qualified to answer.

thanks again. i'm appreciating this even more

Attachments

Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2022 20:38
@Virtual Nomad - Appreciate the clarifications. Yes, I can see playing through game jam games and having a certain expectation. We've only participated in one game jam ourselves, but we very much flew by the seat of our pants in those 48 hours. That doesn't leave a lot of room to consider design, at least from my perspective.

However, I hope we're not too far away from communicating our game play mechanics succinctly. There's certainly areas we could improve. For example, your comment on the ankh collectible got me and my dev partner (tarkusAB) thinking we might swap the crystal out for the ankh to whip and maybe make something else the collectible. Confusion between the collectible ankh and the ankh alter (save room) was never intended, but that right there was a bit of design miscommunication on our part and it's something simple that we'd never think of without some outside perspective.

We'll have to investigate that jumping issue you mentioned. Let us know too if you find more detail or possible steps to replicate more exactly. You've been a big help sharing your thoughts.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2022 18:40
This looks awesome, I'll play it as soon as I get a chance.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2022 21:04 Edited at: 15th Dec 2022 21:11
This is a hard game! And that block that drops at the second grappling point is just straight up mean!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2022 21:49
@Phaelax - Thanks for checking out our game! Yes, the core of the design is challenging platforming. Were you able to get by that room? The first few rooms are supposed to be more tutorials before the demo gets really hard. If people get stuck early on we'll want to adjust the difficulty.

Is there something specific that you found difficult about the block? Maybe that particular platforming challenge belongs later in the demo / game.

Any other thoughts on the game? Did it control as well as it initially looked?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2022 19:46
I died a dozen times before I figured out how to jump to the second grappling point. Since it defaults to arrow keys, they didn't make much sense to me. Backwards to whip in front, up to throw grappling. I kept pressing arrows towards my target to shoot the hook at it. 30 years of games telling me arrow keys control movement makes it hard habit to break.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2022 20:13
@Phaelax - That's a good point about the controls. We'll definitely take that into consideration. Our goal was for them to mimic the four buttons of a modern controller but I can see how that could be confusing,
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I gave up playing because I could not hook onto the first rock and keept dying.
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2022 18:42
@ Game_Code_here - I just added instructions for the controls in my original post. In order to grapple, you must press and hold the up arrow (or right trigger on XBOX/PS controller) when close to the green vine hooks. A reticle will appear letting you know when you can active the grapple. Once attached, you must hold the button and then swing back and forth. If you get a chance, give that a try and see if it works.

Clearly we need to communicate the grappling controls better in game. I'm also thinking we remove the spikes from the first grapple just to give people the chance to test it out with dying.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I used my controller this time and I get hooked to the first rock, then evetime I try to get the next rock I die. And let me tell you, I got so frustrated I almost screamed. I almost threw my controller.

For some reason, when I am swinging on the first rock, And I try to swing to the next rock I fall instantly.
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2022 20:49
Did you try jumping off of the swing? You can jump, grapple to the first block, swing to the right, jump at the height of the arc, move toward the second block, grapple, and swing to the right.

See this moment in the video for an example: https://youtu.be/-ufXSpV9cwM?t=36
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Did you try jumping off of the swing?"

Hi, Yes I tried everything and all it does is fall real fast to my death lol.

Your talking to a experienced super Mario brothers player lol, joking.

But I have played many , many side scrollers and even attempted to build one, And I can not swing on this one.

I even tried to hold on for a long time and swing then at a high swing change to the next rock but I still fall.

Over all, other then this issue, it is a real cool looking game and i enjoy watching the video of it.
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2022 22:42
Fair enough! We really value your repeated attempts. I'm a bit of a platforming junkie myself and cut my teeth on Super Mario World. Newer releases like Celeste are also hugely inspirational.

Me and tarkusAB (my partner on this project) talked it over, and we think it may come down to a lack of conservation of momentum when releasing the swing. This was a challenge to build in, ultimately, due to the movement code being one set of rules and the swinging being another (namely, using AppGameKit built-in 2d physics). Given everyone's difficulty with what was for us an experimental mechanic, we're strongly considering removing the swinging altogether to focus solely on the core platforming mechanics and its additions (like a double jump, a dash, a wall jump, etc).

Between that and fine tuning some of the early room difficulty, we plan on putting out an update soon. More to come on that.

Again, thanks for checking this out and providing a lot of feedback. It's the things we took for granted during development that surprise us the most when new people get a hold of the game, so this has been tremendously helpful in highlighting what does and doesn't work.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 19:08
Quote: ", we're strongly considering removing the swinging altogether"

I think you should leave it in, it gives your game a unique mechanic and helps separate it from every other basic platformer. It just needs a little tweaking.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2022 22:09
I can agree with that. Thanks, Phaelax. Our decision may ultimately come down to how easy it will be to add additional platforming mechanics along side the swinging. We'll post an update after Christmas when we have time to go over our plans for the rest of the game.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2022 23:13
yah ,leave it in just cause i can't hang right now doesnt mean that i dont like it. i'll get back to this project after the holidays.
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2023 03:34 Edited at: 9th Jan 2023 03:48
Hey folks, hope your holidays were fun and relaxing! We’ve been busy the last few weeks but found plenty of time to update our demo based on feedback. Below is a link to the download, a YouTube video showing off what’s new, and a change log of all the new features.

Our main goal was to replace the grappling hook mechanics, which while I know some people wanted us to keep it ultimately didn't fit with the kind of move set we want our platformer to have. We want the character to be in as much of the player's control as possible, and swinging just broke that goal. So, introducing three new Egyptian god-powered abilities: Amon's Second Wind, a hover ability that lets you remain in the air for a short time. Bastet's Feline Finesse, a wall jump ability. And finally, Horus's Holy Falcon, a fiery dash that can cut through enemies and go in all four cardinal directions.

We also have a new re-spawn system which is a little more lenient. The old system of re-spawning at checkpoint rooms only is still available, but the new system allows you to re-spawn in the room you just died in. This should make things A LOT less punishing for people. You still save by activating the checkpoint room.

If you have a chance, try out the latest version and let us know what you think!

Itch.io Download: https://blue-herb-software.itch.io/valley-of-the-kings

Change Log:
• Three new abilities to replace the grappling hook mechanic: a hover, a wall jump, and a dash
• Several new rooms in the demo to show off the new abilities
• Updated re-spawn system with two options available when starting a new game. Normal mode re-spawns you in the room you died in at the nearest ankh statuette to where you first entered the room. Hardcore mode disables the ankh statuettes, re-spawning you at the last used checkpoint room. In all instances, saving the game occurs only when you activate a checkpoint room
• Swapped the collectible with the ankh so that the collectible is a rotating gem and the ankh is associated with the checkpoint rooms (aka the ankh altars). Thematically and mechanically, this felt like a no-brainer once people pointed it out!
• The pause menu displays the whip and obtainable abilities as they are collected
• Updated player deaths, specifically the burn and electrify deaths so they use more particles
• Save icon and a cutscene icon that indicate when those occur
• Updated control images in the settings menu so they are our original images (we were using stock sprites before)
• Packed our game using Vishnu Studio, found here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224373. Highly recommended, it works with very little effort

One thing we couldn’t get working was using HTML on itch.io. This is due to us taking direct control of the rendering pipeline, which is doing things that HTML doesn't like apparently. If anyone has any tips or tricks on that front, we’d love to hear them!

Next steps for us include adding new areas, new enemies, and additional bosses. We envision the game having a semi-open central Metroidvania-type zone that has linear off-shoots gated by each ability.

Attachments

Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
I redownloaded the game and now it plays good and i love the respawn in the same level area. This time i went a lot farther, I keep dying at one part but I watched your new video and think I can win that part.

I like this a lot better.

Good Job Guys

Keep up the good work.
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2023 22:13
Quote: "I like this a lot better."

Thanks, Game_Code_here! Good to know we're in the right direction. As soon as we implemented the new abilities we felt a lot more excitement about the design.

Over the coming weeks I'll be putting together the next area of the game: a central cave system with an abandoned temple in the middle. Excited to try my hand at some new tiles that aren't yellow bricks lol
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2023 04:47 Edited at: 17th Nov 2023 19:26
Almost a year of game development has us reaching a new landmark for our retro-inspired platformer Valley of the Kings. Five zones are now complete, including unique mechanics and a few new music tracks. Two of the five planned bosses are also in the game, with a third nearly finished.

A demo is temporarily available on itch.io so we can gather feedback. The new YouTube trailer is embedded below. Expect a Steam page soon!

The demo pre-loads three save files at different points in the game:
- First save gives you the Hover ability and places you in the Hanging Gardens
- Second save gives you the Hover and Wall Jump abilities and places you in the Black Crypt
- Third save gives you the Hover, the Wall Jump, and the Dash abilities and places you in the Lava Works

And if you'd rather play the game from the beginning, go into Options, clear one of the save files, and load it up.

Go ahead and try out any of save files to experience different zones and the abilities you gain over time. Controls are listed in-game and on the itch.io page. Controller highly recommended! If you’d rather start from the beginning, you can clear one of the save files in menu to do so.

Download Demo: https://blue-herb-software.itch.io/valley-of-the-kings

A quick high-level roadmap of what’s left to do:
• Add three more boss fights
• Design the final zone
• Add an optional challenge zone and special item to collect
• Polish the controls, level design, art, and music

Thank you for all the support. We’re excited to hear what people have to say about our game!

Attachments

Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2023 17:18
This looks great, well done!!

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2023 14:09
This looks amazing! Good job!

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2023 03:30
@Yeshu777 - Thanks for checking it out!

@PSY - Appreciate the compliment! We've spent the last year honing the art direction and gameplay. Glad both of those are shining!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:09:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:09:06