Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Kaelya RPG adventure game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2022 10:38 Edited at: 6th Dec 2022 10:39
HI

Since november 2022, I work on a little rpg-adventure, in 2D (3D iso).
For the moment, it's not finish of course ^^.

For the collision, I use BOX2D (the physics of AppGameKit for sprite), and it works great.
I have some strange behavior sometimes, but in general, it work fine.

I have a lot of sprite creation (image) to do, animation, add gameplay... ^^
But it's a good start I think .

Here, i have put a test version, which I will try to update (it's totally wip ^^) :
https://dracaena-studio.com/games/html5/rpg_kaelya.html

Instruction :
- keyboard : arrow to move, space to interact (fight, open a treasure, speak with pnj...)
- the virtual joystick and buton works too (it's made to work on android)
- langage : English (by default on not french device), French

I have to put it on itch.io too

Cheers !
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2022 11:17 Edited at: 19th May 2023 08:01
Hi

here is a little rendering of some of the monsters or pnj in the game :

I use it in the title screen.

cheers
tboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2022 12:42
I'm always in awe of your work Blendman, your art style looks fantastic.

What software do you use to create your characters?
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
I looked on your website to see no games are released and wonder why?
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2022 13:42
Hi

Quote: "I'm always in awe of your work Blendman, your art style looks fantastic.

What software do you use to create your characters?"

I use blender to create all my characters in 3D (sprite 3D iso or game in 3D volume).

I use blender 2.76/2.79 and 2.80
I have not installed blender 3.0 for the moment ^^.

I use blender since 1998 (blender 1.80 if I remember).

Quote: "I looked on your website to see no games are released and wonder why?"

My website isn't up to date

I have release some of my games :
- Android : Arkeos (RPG) in 2018-2019, Towerbot in 2018, fightfortress (2018), Puf labyrinthe (3D game, 2018). And other little games between 2014 and 2018 (Flying belet, Doctor memorie, superkang)
But with googleplay, we have to update our games and I don't update the games so they aren't no more on googleplay.
- pc (steam) : towerbot (in the agk game pack1).

For the others games :

Not finish (I don't if I will work on those game a day) :
- Dragonia : I have a little version, but it's too much work for a single man to create a 3D rpg ^^
- Puf & Squeeze (aventure plateforme) : It has become :"puf labyrinthe" which has been released on googleplay in 2018 until 2020.
- Arkeos Chronicle : has been released on googlplay from 2018 to 2020.
- Téo & Loli (plateforme) : it's a special project start in 2010 (comics book first, than a animation show, but the anime series did not find funding, so it was stopped.
- Titan Battle, Clash of bots : should be online : so I have stopped to work on it (to much work)

Abandonned :
- moonkrioe : game abandoned by the company that was supposed to developed it
- 3arks : abandoned because a game online is too much complexe for me and I don't have a server. But arkeos is the offline version of 3arks.

Cheers
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2022 19:43 Edited at: 15th Dec 2022 19:46
looking good, as always, Blendman.

your style is unique and beautiful, including the UI/Inventory items. great stuff!

Quote: "I have some strange behavior sometimes"

can you describe the issues? it feels like you're using multiple shapes for some of the sprites and no spheres (which could help with some of the "sliding collision" responses if you did, as would lower friction).

i know the demo is at a very early stage but, even without animation, etc, a few sound effects could help make it feel more like a game at this point. i generally throw a few SFX in early where it's otherwise motivating to me and a quick way to make a project feel "alive" early on.

otherwise, keep it coming and looking forward to more (and, thanks for the shout out ) .
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2022 16:12 Edited at: 19th Dec 2022 16:52
Hi

Quote: "looking good, as always, Blendman.

your style is unique and beautiful, including the UI/Inventory items. great stuff!"

Thnak you a lot

Quote: "Quote: "I have some strange behavior sometimes"

can you describe the issues? it feels like you're using multiple shapes for some of the sprites and no spheres (which could help with some of the "sliding collision" responses if you did, as would lower friction).
"

For the sprite which moive (player, enemies), I use a circle shape.
For other sprite, I use a square shape in general.
I don't use friction.

For my game, I have used the physics I have found on an example made by you (I think), for 2D collisions sliding.

Here is the example I have changed to test for my game :

As you can see, when you push a monster (square red) to the right or to the botom, it's ok
but not when you push the monsters to the left or to the top.

I don't know why;

Quote: "i know the demo is at a very early stage but, even without animation, etc, a few sound effects could help make it feel more like a game at this point. i generally throw a few SFX in early where it's otherwise motivating to me and a quick way to make a project feel "alive" early on.
"

Yes, but I have a problme : I'm disabled (hyperacusis), and I can't hear a sound.

So I don't know what kind of sound to use, when, et and whare I could find these sounds (without the possibility to listen to those sound to know if they are good or not, it's not easy ^^).

For the music, it's more easy, because, I can create the music in midi in a daw (on the piano roll), without listening to the music. I just hope the result is like in my mind.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2022 19:01 Edited at: 19th Dec 2022 19:50
Quote: "hyperacusis"

i'd be happy to help there, if you like.

do you own the AppGameKit Sound Library by chance? i also frequent freesound.org, opengameart.org and know cartoonsmart.org has a lot of nice sound packs when i'm hunting for sounds.

feel free to hit me up on discord and we'll talk about putting something together
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2022 12:16 Edited at: 21st Dec 2022 12:26
Hi

Quote: "i'd be happy to help there, if you like."

Thank you very much

Quote: "do you own the AppGameKit Sound Library by chance? "

Yes, I have buy it in 2021

I have seen there is a pdf for the description, it's great !
I don't know what to use ^^.

Perhap's it could be great to use those sounds for :
- fight (player and enemies) I have seen a lot of sounds for fight : BattleswordClash.wav)
- drop (I have seen droponground.wav)
- level up (from "Pickups" sounds : PowerupSuper.wav)
- perap's a sound when the character walk (from "Movement" sounds : BasicStep01.wav)
- open a chest/treasure (OpenPirateChest.wav)

What do you think about that ?

any ideas ?

Quote: "i also frequent freesound.org, opengameart.org and know cartoonsmart.org has a lot of nice sound packs when i'm hunting for sounds."

I know freesound a few and opengameart, but not cartoonsmart.*
Thank you

For the music, I will use probably my music (but I don't know if it sound great or not ^^) :
https://www.dracaena-studio.com/music/pourjeuxvideos/intro2.mp3

Do you think it's a good music for this kind of game ?

Cheers
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2022 14:36 Edited at: 21st Dec 2022 14:38
it depends on the mood you want to set for the game. the music is nice if you're going for a "melancholy with a touch of ominous" vibe

now that i know you own the sound pack, i can put together a small pack that might include some of those (which i'd already started).

you've also reminded me of an idea for a "visual" sound system which shouldn't be too difficult. i've always wanted to do something along those lines and this might be the time.

again, see me on discord where we can chat and exchange files and we'll put something together.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2022 19:24 Edited at: 21st Dec 2022 19:50
hi

Quote: "it depends on the mood you want to set for the game. the music is nice if you're going for a "melancholy with a touch of ominous" vibe"

outch ^^
it's not what I would like for this game, at start at least ^^
I will change to create a more "happy" theme

I ha ve made some changes to be less "ominous" :
https://www.dracaena-studio.com/music/pourjeuxvideos/intro3.mp3

Thank you a lot.

Quote: "now that i know you own the sound pack, i can put together a small pack that might include some of those (which i'd already started)."

Thank you very much !
I will use those sounds.

Quote: "you've also reminded me of an idea for a "visual" sound system which shouldn't be too difficult. i've always wanted to do something along those lines and this might be the time."

Great
it will be interesting.

Quote: "again, see me on discord where we can chat and exchange files and we'll put something together."

OK, I will see you on discord,

thank you again.

(it's hard to live, for a former musician like me (I have made music in the past from1990's to 2005), to have such a terrible handicap and not be able to listen to music for 17 years
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2023 07:17
I just watched Disney's "Strange World" and the character design and art direction is so similar to your game design.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2023 09:26 Edited at: 12th Jan 2023 09:30
HI=i

Quote: "I just watched Disney's "Strange World" and the character design and art direction is so similar to your game design."

I don't know who this person is, but he is inspired by my work. (it's a joke, of course. I know who is this personn ^^).

I think a lot of 2D/3D designers who have a cartoon style have similar works .

I've always loved science fiction and fantasy. Since 2000, I create my designs in a Cartoon style, almost always.
I don't know "Strange world", I have only see a trailer. But I think a lot of Sci-fi / fantasy cartoon design must have similarities.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:17:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:17:01