Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / AR - Augmented Reality

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2022 18:22
Hi,

I have a few android devices and the AGK's ARDemo does not work with any of them. The AppGameKit Player closes when ran and with apk, the program closes instantly. And yes, permissions have been given. Or am I missing something here?

Is this still supported?
JohnStabler
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2023 21:12
I too have this exact issue.

Running on Google Pixel 5. AppGameKit Player has all permissions and confirmed using CheckPermission(). Ensured the Google Services for AR is updated.

As soon as the ARSetup() function is hit the player exits immediately.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2023 21:52 Edited at: 6th Jan 2023 22:01
john's posted the issue @ the repo where he advises of the crash on broadcast.

@jlahtinen, are you experiencing the issues via actual export?

also, it may matter: you've both confirmed via opengl and vulkan where available? the demo is probably pre-studio and im not sure what the studio default is, so...

Quote: "Is this still supported?"

if it's advertised as a feature, it needs to be supported.

my phone is so old, it doesnt support google play services for AR so this is all the help i could offer
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2023 10:25
Yes, app closes instantly also when exported to apk and installed.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2023 17:04
Without enabling all permissions., ARSetup( ) will put the AppGameKit Player into the Background 1:5 Broadcasts; with all Permissions Enabled (manually via App Settings) it will ALWAYS push the App into the Background when connected and broadcasting.

Exporting as an APK., and all permissions are disabled by Default.
I think it's silly we have to manually add Check and Request (and we can't even find out IF Permission was granted without Checking again... why doesn't Request Permission have a Return?)

In any case., enabling Camera access (which is needed for ARCore) produces the same behaviour as the AppGameKit Player; where it doesn't close / crash the App, it just instantly pushes it into the Background.

Now as a note:
The APK is using Android API 31 (most current AppGameKit allows)., I've enabled everything in the APK Export and made ARCore a Requirement.
I'm trying to run this on a Nokia 5.4 with Android 12 and ARCore is installed, updated and supported just fine in other Apps.

As a note., the AppGameKit Player is still present within Built Applications; but a minor difference is customisable elements are prescribed in the App Store version; so you can't change the Renderer for example, or AdMod links to a tgc defined website that doesn't exist.
Stuff like that, which would be written to the APK/App on Build.

I'm familiar with this App behaviour from when I had an iPod Touch., as when Apps used to do this; it meant that I had to upgrade iOS (then Apple being the "Consumer Friendly" Company they are; stopped supporting my device, as forcing people to pay another £400 for a new Device is easier than supporting additional older hardware... but they also stopped developed from having older versions of the Apps, i.e. they HAD to be using a "Supported" version of iOS to build their Apps for the Store and stay on there.
It's not like Google who just hides them from the Store, but can be accessed via a manual link.

Anyway, as noted... this is behaviour common to "Incompatible API" versions, because gods knows it's obviously impossible to create a pop-up that says "This App is no longer Compatible with your Device" ... no, let's just let it run and keep minimising because it can't run and have the User confused as **** as to what is going on. That's a MUCH better solution, obviously.
(That's not a dig at TGC, but at the laziness of Apple and Google...)

Still it seems like the Feature for the moment is unavailable.
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2023 17:46
Any input from dev team about this?
JohnStabler
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2023 22:46
jlahtinen,

As per Virtual Nomad's post, there has been an issue raised at the AppGameKit Studio github repository. Tagged as high priority. However, no info from devs yet.

It would be useful to know if this is something that could get fixed for the next release. Or whether I should look elsewhere to develop an app that supports reading occlusion plane data from ARCore / ARKit.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

The AppGameKit team is working hard to fix issues, but I agree we need to try harder on responding to issues raised. I'm bring it up with the team.
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2023 19:18
No worries. I can wait.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:23:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:23:31