Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK Info on 2D Weapons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again,

Currently I'm considering serious development in DarkGDK good new I got some sprites got some concepts however I got some pitfalls here as sometimes in development you have some concepts down and know what you are trying to do but don't know how to actually do it.

I have created weapons before however I have never done it in DarkGDK along with some other things that I'm aware of but is a 1st for me.

How can I program a 2D Weapon in DarkGDK ? Dark Invaders example covers this but not well enough for what I'm trying to do (example: I'm trying to code in a 2D 3rd Person M16 rifle that rapidly fires or 3 round burst on button press.

Anyone know good software for Old 2D style cutscenes (No animation just Old School 90's early 2000's screenshot)?

How to I create a weapons store? I got some ideas but asking for a basic scope as I have built game weapons before but its my 1st time doing it end to end including a weapons store.

how do I create a health bar in DarkGDK? I have done a basic health bar but I haven't done it end to end.

Last how can I create a save game system in DarkGDK? This is my 1st time having to do it.

These are all things I can technically do just looking for good examples for a starting point to fill the gaps.

No joke as matter fact I got $26 on however can help cover this strictly conceptual my next post will be the link to the full description if its allowed here.

DeVaughn_B
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok now its time to show I mean business

As covered in my previous post I need someone to practically humor me concerning weapons creation in DarkGDK (like 2D M16 with rapid fire), very basic 2D cutscenes software advice, health bars DarkGDK demonstration, weapons stores, and the DarkGDK save game system.

Below is the official upwork link for it $26 straight up for this task however I am expecting a full breakdown and demonstration of the requirements to weigh my options here and fill in the gaps.

link to small job task: https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~017d3fa88cc7393285
NOTE: This is not a troll link request this is totally honest and serious here:
DeVaughn_B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2023 18:18 Edited at: 9th Jan 2023 18:19
I see more people are viewing these posts I'm willing to negotiate the price as I'm serious about the offer FYI the sooner the better so I can move forward you will need an upwork account but its straightforward to signup for upwork.
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2023 19:02
Quote: "Dark Invaders example covers this but not well enough for what I'm trying to do"

You are right, this is not necessarily a good example when programming in C/C++.
I would put all the properties of the weapon into one structure.

Quote: "I'm trying to code in a 2D 3rd Person M16 rifle that rapidly fires or 3 round burst on button press."

I don't know what you mean by 2D 3rd person. I only know side scroller, vertical scroller, top down and isometric scroller in 2D.
But actually the perspective doesn't matter.
To make it more modular, you should create a structure for the bullets and one for the weapon to be fired.
The bullets structure could contain
{
Sprite,
direction of movement,
Speed,
Damage,
fraction by whom it was fired
}

The weapons structure could contain
{
Image,
Name and description (important for the shop?),
Cooldown (time between two shots),
Damage per bullet,
Firing speed,
Firing mode (0 = single shot, 1 = auto fire until key is released, n = number of shots fired with each key press).
}
Some of the values have to be copied from the weapon structure to the bullet structure.
Such as Damage, Speed, and Faction (Player or Enemy).

Quote: "How to I create a weapons store? I got some ideas but asking for a basic scope as I have built game weapons before but its my 1st time doing it end to end including a weapons store."

To do this, you can further expand the weapon structure with e.g.
{
costs,
condition,
size,
weight,
Knowledge required,
ect.
}

You can then manage the available weapons in an array (std::vector) or in a linked list (std::list). Of course you can also manage them in a key map (std::map).

Quote: "Last how can I create a save game system in DarkGDK? This is my 1st time having to do it."

Here you can also work with structures. All player data position, equipment, money, player condition could be inside.
Another structure could then contain current level data. Not found equipment, destroyed landscape elements depending on how complex your level is built.

Quote: "how do I create a health bar in DarkGDK? I have done a basic health bar but I haven't done it end to end."

That depends on your requirements.
The easiest way is to load a coloured plane (preferably white) as a sprite.
and set the initial size and position via dbSetSpriteSize dbSetSpritePosition.
and then adjust the size and colour (dbSetSpriteDiffuse) to your current state.

Quote: "Anyone know good software for Old 2D style cutscenes (No animation just Old School 90's early 2000's screenshot)?"

Sorry, but I really can't do anything with that. You can take a screenshot simply by pressing the 'Print' key.
Or with the snipping tool provided by Windows ([Win]+[Shift]+[S] or enter it in the windows search).
But I'm afraid that's not what you're looking for.

I apologise for not including sample code. My DarkGDK is a bit rusty.
But if it becomes absolutely necessary I can certainly dig out one or the other.

Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)

Donations are always welcome.
DeVaughn_B
Years of Service
User Offline
Madbit

If you could provide basic examples of each that would help big time as I while I can create structures I got no idea how to apply this to DarkGDK especially for rapid fire as vectors don't work as DarkGDK mostly uses void functions which aren't compatible with vector array's like push back. I also tried using a while loop on button press and it just bugs up the screen not getting the desired effect.

I'm an expert at C++ but everybody's DarkGDK is a bit rusty I also rarely use structure, templates, and vector arrays because I rarely need to use them as I use classes, while loops, for loops, switches, and constructors way more, along with header files.

That being if you know doesn't have to be for nothing got as I got an upwork for this task if you got time.

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~0120ae1583bfd482fa

let me know asap

Time to wake up Frankenstein.
I can make an exception on the 2D cutscenes as I can use paint.net and just mesh images together worst come to worst
DeVaughn_B
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone else got any advice let me know

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:13:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:13:24