Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / python is a lot like AppGameKit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2023 01:18 Edited at: 16th Jan 2023 01:19
I did not know, and was looking at videos of python, For what I see python code is a lot like AppGameKit or am I wrong?

If so I guess it would not be too hard to learn python from this point on. Not that I really want to because I do not see a lot I can do with python .

And even if I could do something with it I can do the same thing in AppGameKit So I am just confused on the difference in each of anyone knows?
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2023 05:12
python and agk have are similar in keywords and some of the syntax they are similar enough that you could infact easily move between the two. Python can interface with just about anything and has 1000s of librarys . agk is geared towards game creation with minimal external functionality without custom addons

Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " agk is geared towards game creation with minimal external functionality without custom addons"

Yes i noticed this, I searched for games created by Python and there are not many, no big titles so i am guessing it is mostly for programs.

But like I said I would rather not learn it if it is only good for small programs.

I am in for learning something new, But am happy with what I learned here.
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2023 19:30 Edited at: 16th Jan 2023 19:32
Quote: "Yes i noticed this, I searched for games created by Python and there are not many, no big titles so i am guessing it is mostly for programs"

Python is technically a scripting language, so you might be more likely to find games created in engines that use Python rather than games "made with Python," like how you'll find a lot more games that are "made with Unity" rather than "made with C#." A couple of engines that I know of that use Python are PyGame (more of a framework) and Panda3D. AppGameKit has a Python version as well, and Godot's GDScript is very heavily styled after Python. Still, it is definitely underrepresented in the game dev world, probably because it's not as fast and lightweight as say, Lua, which is very common in games.
psikoT
Years of Service
User Offline
Python relies on indentation to nest and define code blocks, statements, functions, etc. rather than using brackets or the need to write "endif" or "endfunction"... I'd say that AppGameKit looks way more similar to Lua. At least that is what I thought the first time I saw Basic code.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2023 20:45
Quote: "Python relies on indentation to nest and define code blocks, statements, functions, etc."

Python doesn't care about your white space, its not like that garbage yaml
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

psikoT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2023 16:27 Edited at: 19th Jan 2023 16:27
Quote: "Python doesn't care about your white space, its not like that garbage yaml"

https://www.w3schools.com/python/gloss_python_indentation.asp

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:31:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:31:18