Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Scan Codes Keyboard Layout

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey ladies and gentlemen,

Recently my dear friend Jessika needed some Scan code keyboard layout and she found one, but the scan codes did not match with the AppGameKit ones, so I remapped it. It's just a PNG file, but can be helpful visually, especially if you have a second monitor to put it on.

Hope this helps to anyone in need of such.

I hope you all had a joyful Christmas and are all healthy and all your families, and Happy New Year to everyone.

Been busy with many things, so have not been here in long time.

Take care.

All the best,

Lupo

PS I did not double check, but it should be correct. If any errors please comment, so I can amend. Thanks
????????

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 02:21 Edited at: 26th Jan 2023 02:31
you missed a couple (at least) that i assume work for you: numpad [del] + [enter]

and, the orginal backtick ` (192)

et al ?

otherwise, if you include the make of the (WIN) keyboard and perhaps region, it might be more helpful.

as is, not so much where the AppGameKit scancodes return the "right ones" for me. the only difference that i see in yours is the [#] key which i can't say i've seen before on an american PC keyboard. maybe 1 or 2 others.

meanwhile, i assume you shared GetRawLastKey() ?

ps, said friend?
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 03:02
That is one handy dandy little image. Well done
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2023 16:48
Quote: "as is, not so much where the AppGameKit scancodes return the "right ones" for me. the only difference that i see in yours is the [#] key which i can't say i've seen before on an american PC keyboard. maybe 1 or 2 others."

It's on the UK Qwerty, as where # is on the US Qwerty we have a £
There are other differences if you look, such-as where the Forward and Backslash are... I always imported a UK Keyboard when working in the States because your layout of the operator keys always felt a little unintuitive to me.
Was funny watching others try to program on my keyboard >_<

With this said... I actually agree that the Scancodes in AppGameKit are a little annoying as they ONLY match the US Keyboard Layout (keep in mind TGC is based in Wigan, UK)
It makes sense mind., so the Scancodes themselves are not actually linked to specific keyboard functions:
i.e. Scancode 81 might be Q on a Qwerty Board, but is D on a Dvorak Board... and yes, people do use them.

Personally., what I have is a Scancode.agc where I've written out all of the keys as #Constant KEY_{keyid} {scancode} that I import to my projects.
I've attached it for anyone wanting to use it... as a note Print Screen (PrtScn) is missing because AppGameKit doesn't support it, no idea why.
On top of this I've also added the Menu Button (which might be labeled as Cmd or Fn on some keyboards, so added those as options too)

(in case the upload doesn't work or takes a while... the forum is weird about uploads other than images for me)
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2023 17:16 Edited at: 4th Feb 2023 17:16
ideally, we'd have some kind of GetKeyboardRegion() or GetKeyboardMapping() command (whatever the proper term might be) that we could accomodate, somehow communicating with the OS (or hardware directly?). the next natural step is a fully-functional way to detect *every* controller out there?

alas, we can offer our own "mapping" options in-game/app, as an alternative.

otherwise, i've probably not done my due diligence as a developer by not considering various keyboards, etc,.. but i dont charge for stuff, so...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2023 19:37
The tick should also have the tilde ~
The del key on the number pad is also a decimal or period. The number pad also has arrows and other keys depending on if numlock is on or not.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys for sharing much valuable info.

Scancode (192) is actually [ ' ] (an apostrophe) and 223 is your tick [ ` ].

Enter on keypad is same as enter (13), but I added it in for anyone who might not be aware.

I added the Decimal Key (which also is labelled as DEL) on the Keypad (110).

As Raven suggested, this would be a UK QWERTY keyboard. If anyone has a link to a US layout keyboard, I can make one for that also.

Thanks Nomad for the GetRawLastKey() will be good to find out some of the scancodes such as for the Menu key and the Fn key.

Print key has no scancode I presume due to the fact that it acts as the key for taking a screenshot of the screen in Windows OS.

Below the UPDATED version.

????????
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2023 00:52
Quote: "Scancode (192) is actually [ ' ] (an apostrophe) and 223 is your tick [ ` ]."

Common misconception.
' is a quotation mark, " is a double quotation or speech mark
` is an apostrophe

I won`t delve into the whole correct English(ness) of written text, esp. when it comes to the use cases for the apostrophe, quotation and double quote; because almost no one uses them correctly.
And Grammar Checkers will NOT make said corrections... I mean that`s how common it is the incorrect punctuation is used, that it`s just accepted as 'correct' when it`s wrong.
As a note, I deliberately and consciously used the correct punctuation for said last paragraph.
That isn't how I'd normally do it (this sentence being a case and point) like most people, who use the wrong punctation.
Question is, did you notice?
Still, I'm not calling ` a tick... there is no such punctuation. Not even sure where you get that name for it from.
agkcoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2023 03:13 Edited at: 21st Mar 2023 04:45
The backtick ` is a typographical mark used mainly in computing. It is also known as backquote, grave, or grave accent.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backtick
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2023 03:41
Quote: "` is an apostrophe"

An apostrophe would technically lean the other direction. It's always been known as a backtick in the decades I've been typing whereas ' is accepted as the apostrophe (or single quote) .
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:55:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:55:02