Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Can't run any VR game, need help!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2023 16:37 Edited at: 1st Feb 2023 17:07
Hey everyone! New to AppGameKit, and I've got a bit of a bad first impression of it sadly. I've tried to run the VR demos provided in the AGKVR DLC with no success.
Specs:
RTX 3060 Laptop
Ryzen 5600h
Oculus Rift CV1

What I tried:
Verifying files
Uninstalling and reinstalling AGKVR
Compiling it and running the .exe
Using the OpenGL renderer
Running the demo as a 64-bit app
Restarting the PC
Reverting back to an older version of AGK
Running Steam as an administrator
Running the compiled .exe as an administrator
(maybe other things that I forgot about)

Other info:
The game just closes itself/doesn't respond when running it as a 32-bit app. When I run it as a 64-bit app, it will give me this error: Failed to load plugin "AGKVR" required by this app, it may not be available for this platform

Any help appreciated, thanks!
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2023 19:00
Do you have SteamVR installed?
regamox
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2023 19:32 Edited at: 1st Feb 2023 19:55
no headset here so no experience with VR but how does this recent VR release work for you? https://counterparry.itch.io/brazil-fencing-club

otherwise, i believe the plugin is 32bit only? so, from within the IDE, go to Edit/Preferences/Build and make sure the Windows 64 bit option is not ticked?

when i try to compile the demos, i get the same 'Failed to load plugin" error under 64 bit. when un-ticked, i get some different errors that i believe are related to the fact that i don't have VR installed but the compile seemed to have moved past that initial error.

add, i now realize that the pre-compiled exes that ship with VR should have run for you since they were compiled as 32 bit, i expect

another user a few years ago: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220857#msg2617360
Quote: " i needed to copy over the new openvr_api.dll"

not sure what that means? copy from where?
regamox
Years of Service
User Offline
This works well it seems. I've just tried to run the demo again, still no luck. 32 bit just crashes for me :/
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2023 20:19 Edited at: 1st Feb 2023 20:20
Quote: "This works well it seems."

at least we know it can work.

meanwhile, i've PM'd parry, the creator of the Brazilian Fencing Club app and asked him to visit this thread and offer any insight where they had mentioned "I did run into a few issues with the VR plugin" in the thread.
regamox
Years of Service
User Offline
The weird thing is that the demo game actually runs if I don't have a VR headset connected, but the moment my VR headset is plugged in, the app just crashes. Also, forgot to add that I once managed to make the thing work, but I didn't see anything on my headset. It just told me that the game was starting. So I could still interact with the game but without actually seeing anything. Couldn't manage to reproduce that though....
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2023 20:24
see my edit above.
i also solicited help on discord; hopefully some help arrives soon.
regamox
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your help
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
regamox
Years of Service
User Offline
yup that was me. also that was fast haha
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2023 15:59
The AppGameKit VR Plug-In has both Windows 32bit and 64bit Libraries., and it will compile in both (I use AppGameKit Studio in 64bit by Default)
Now when I first started using the Plug-In, I do remember having some issues with getting the Demos to work properly...

Just as an important clarification:
You do have the Oculus Runtime installed and running?
You do have Steam VR installed and running? (Some older/third party VR HMD will NOT automatically start Steam VR)
Download a (Free) Steam VR title just to test that the HMD is working correctly (The Lab for example)

If you verify this... then Start Steam VR > Steam VR Home
Then try Build / Run (F5) your AppGameKit VR Demo Application

You shouldn't need to "Copy" any files for the Demos as long as they're run from the Demo Folder., but keep in mind that ANY Projects you create, you will have to copy the corresponding plug-in from the OpenVR Folder into your main project folder.
Note: If you're using Windows 64bit., rename OpenVR_api.dll to OpenVR_api_x64.dll and also copy the 32bit one.
I don't know why it isn't named that by default.

This said I am curious about this line:
Quote: "Using the OpenGL renderer"

AppGameKit Classic only has an OpenGL Renderer and there is no way to change it.
Running the AGKVR DLC on AppGameKit Studio requires a little bit of a different setup, but it will run on Vulkan and OpenGL.
regamox
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey! Just wanna make sure, is this the right oculus runtime app? It's the first one that came when I searched for "oculus runtime rift CV1", but it also says it's unsupported... I'll check the other things you said later as I can't access my headset right now. Also, regarding the renderer, I realized after making the post that only AppGameKit Studio supports both Vulkan and OpenGL, forgot to edit the post, sorry. Talking about AGKS, should I use AGKVR with it and see if the demo works there?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2023 03:28
Quote: "Hey! Just wanna make sure, is this the right oculus runtime app? It's the first one that came when I searched for "oculus runtime rift CV1", but it also says it's unsupported..."

I don't own an Oculus but I'd think it would be this: https://www.oculus.com/rift/setup/
Parry
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2023 21:31
I never tested the plugin on a Oculus Rift. I have tested it with Oculus Quest 2 (game running on a computer thru PC VR cable and PC VR Wifi) and Windows Mixed Reality.

Do you have apps installed for another VR headset on your computer? This may throw off Steam VR. When Steam VR loads, it tries to guess what VR system you are using. If you have the Oculus Quest App installed, I would guess that may be an issue. Just a guess, again not familiar with the rift. I guessing Rift uses a different app then the Quest 2?

Also FYI, using Quest 2 PC VR for example, I found that VR worked better or "only works" when the supporting VR programs are loaded in this order...

1 Start the Oculus Quest App on the computer.
2 Link that app to my quest 2.
3 Once inside Quest 2 VR, I start the Steam VR environment from the Quest VR Enviroment
4 Then once the Steam VR home is up and running, only then can I start a game.

If the supporting programs are not started in the correct order, I (sometimes) cannot just restart them but have completely reboot the computer. It is a Steam VR issue not a issue with the AppGameKit plugin. Steam VR seems to look for several different types of VR systems and sometimes it guesses incorrectly.

Hope some of this helps.

Did the Brazil Fencing Club game work okay when you tried to run it?

Counterparry
DarkDIRE RPG a roguelike game build with AppGameKit Tier 2
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2023 00:39
It's an old thread, but you did put the openvr_api,dll in your project folder?

It works fine for me, so if you still have troubles, I'll help as I can here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:15:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:15:19