Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Quick little game questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 15:00 Edited at: 1st Jan 2004 16:03
I have a game on my mind. I already wrote out a design document to the best of my abilities and I have most of the graphics and sounds I'll need thanks to a friend on the net. Now I have a few questions concerning my game (by the way my game is slightly Super Mario World like).

Q-1. How would I do a Super Mario World type world map? (i.e. you walk on thisworld map and there are circular pads that represent levels and if you hit (insert keyboard button here) you will enter the level but if it is a level they have never done they can't continue past it till they finish it.

Q-2. How would I do a mario side scroller type level where the player can move left and right, etc. and as they go right the screen goes with revealing more of the map same with if you went left.

Q-3. How would I program a realistic mario jump? Like if they hit umm... M they would jump and they could jump over walls, and holes, and hit enemies, etc. but if they mis-aim when they jump a hole they will die or if an enemy touches them before of after they jump they die.

Q-4. How would I program enemies to only walk a certain distance than walk back? (i.e. they go back and forth) and when youre character is in their walking area they speed up at the character and if he's touched he'll die, if he jumps on it or uses a power up he kills them.

Q-5. How would I program a mario like pwer up system (where he hits blocks and a specific item comes out and you can only hit it once and if he hits a coin block he can continue to hit it for a certain amount of coins (like 5 coins).

Q-6. How would I do a scoring program like every enemy killed is 5 points and every coin is 1 point and if you collect 5 let's say nintendo coins that nets them 100 points and a 1up.

Q-7. How would I do a saving program where you can have three files and if you hit enter and select save from the menu another menu pops up with the available files and they can save over new ones or save on a empty save slot. and at the main menu how would I do it where if they select delete file they can delete a file they select?

Q-8. How would I do a cut scene? Since my game is 2D I'm guessing animate it in something like photoshop, save it as a gif and load it at the point in the game the scene is supposed to occur?

These are all I can think of for now, I'll add more as I think them up but please feel free to answer the ones that are already here. Any help and code would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I thought of 1 new question.

Q-9. How would I do a cheat system. Like if they select cheats from the main menu and then they enter the cheat they hear a sound confirming it and then in game they go to the menu and select active cheats and select the cheat they want to use or if it's a play as a secret character cheat they can choose who they play as at the start of a new game. Also for the cheat menu like onsome games it shows you the buttons you are pressing (like if they press down on the arrow keys it shows the down icon on the screen) how would I do that as well?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 16:43
First of all I suggest you start with something more simple than this, if you have absolutely no idea how to do any of these things then you are obviously no where near ready to start this project. Go through the help files and look for tutorials on the internet. The code base will help you a lot.

BTW. You questions may be quick to ask, but the answers to each of them would probably take up several pages each. Attempt them, then give us source code and say more specifically what your problem is .

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thanks, I think I saw something to answer some of those questions in the code base a bit ago so I'll go check it out but the only thing I really need to know is the how would I do a save/load feature? That's all I really need help with so any help be nice other than that I only have one question that I got when I read through the programming manual for DB Pro and that's Gosub, when I do a gosub command does the subroutine have to be near the gosub command or can it just be anywhere in the code? Lol thanks for any help. (also if you anyone actually does want to answer any of those earlier questions be my guest)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 17:03
sub routine can be anywhere in the code. define it as

MySub:
code
code
ceod
RETURN

then you call it when you need it from anywhere

gosub MySub

it's like a function but doesn't return anything and doesn't accept arguments.

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply! http://www.mod2software.com
Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks, now all I really need help with is the save load feature.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:40:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:40:14