Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [released] Rogue Machine: 3rd person sci-fi action rogue like

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2023 20:43 Edited at: 16th Jul 2023 18:23
ROGUE MACHINE: A 3rd person sci-fi action rogue like

Windows: https://www.indiedb.com/games/rogue-machine/downloads/rogue-machine

Android: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=rogue%20machine&c=apps

Armed with two laser pistol / laser sword combo weapons, you're a rogue machine in a fascist universe

Battle your way through 300 hundred procedurally generated levels spread across eight galaxies in this 3rd person arcade style sci-fi rogue like

Dodge laser defences, force fields and mines as you fight over over fifty enemy types to fight, all armed with deadly laser guns, rocket launchers, laser swords and power hammers

Pilot hover cars and space rockets as you dodge and weave through narrow tunnels and dense asteroid fields

Level up your character
- Earn experience by completing missions and collecting coins
- Use experience to increase your character's stats
- Collect weapons and gear such as rockets, force fields and melee combos to aid in your fight

Finish the game and unlock the new game plus mode that present tough enemies from the very first level

Unlock arcade games by collecting coins
- Play dedicated melee combat and space flight games
- Arcade games come with new game plus and a new game plus plus mode which add extra levels

Use keyboard, game pad and touch screen controls
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2023 03:14 Edited at: 8th May 2023 03:24
great release, 29gs, and a long time coming!

the game plays well and perhaps a little better on keyboard than controller:
  • please add a deadzone for the controller where i inadvertently turned around many times when slightly overshooting 0.0 on the Y.
  • Raven's recent XInput DLL would also be a great integration with both live detection and rumble!

there's also some confusion in the instructions:
  • you may want to proofread a little and clarify some things like the differences between pistol attacks, etc
  • i'd also like some indication of Coins collected and i'm unsure if Health regains over time? it seemed to during the tutorial but not so much later in the game?
  • otherwise, none of it is too difficult to figure out.

meanwhile, consider adding to the Showcase and @ itch.io? this would shine brightly amongst the other AppGameKit games there !

i'll be continuing Rogue Machine when i need a distraction as it's already proving fun and a nice AppGameKit title.

congrats on the release, & thanks for sharing!
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2023 22:17
Thanks for the comments.

It has been a long time coming. I'm going to release it for Android as well but I need to get back into my account. It been a while since I last logged into it, which is true of most of my game related accounts.

I'll have a look at implementing some tweaks to the game pad code and the other things you mentioned. I'll also add it to the showcase and I was thinking of adding it ich.io (I don't have an account at the moment).

The game was originally designed to be played with a keyboard and track pad, so could be played on a laptop without any other peripherals. Touch screen was added so it can be played on smart phones and tablets. The game pad was included as a bit of an after thought but I thought it might be fun.

It actually work really well as a mobile game as it can be played in quite short bursts.

To answer some of you other points:

The difference between pistol attacks one is shooting a single pistol and the other is shooting both pistols when shooting head on (when straffing the character will only shoot one pistol). Once you've collected some other weapons it makes more sense, as different weapons will be allocated to different controls.

Health doesn't regenerate. You can gain health by picking up spanners (spanners are used to fix robots not med kits)

Engery will only recharge to a certain level, shown by the grey bar that is revealed as the white bar goes down. Picking up batteries (that look a bit like rectangular 9V batteries) will instantly recharge and give extra engery.

I almost added the number of coins to collect to the hud but for some reason decided against it. I think I got to a point where I was just dealing with any game breaking bugs. I got some quite good ones when I changed to the latest version of AGK2 a couple of months ago.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2023 23:15 Edited at: 8th May 2023 23:20
i don't see you on Discord so i hope that you don't mind that i've announced RM's release there .

if you need help getting things set up on itch.io, you can PM me but i prefer Discord.

<- Crossed Laser Swords!
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2023 11:23
WOW! Rogue Machine looks awesome! Nice work!
13/0
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2023 22:22
Hi Cybermind, thanks for the kind comments

Thanks, Virtual Nomad, for adding a link to Discord. I've now created a Discord account so I can let everyone there know when the Android version has been released to Google Play and I'll add it to the showcase once that's done.

I've also been meaning to create an itch.io account for a while.

Anywa, I hope everyone who's rogue machine the game is enjoying it.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
looks like it is time to take a little break and check your game out.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I know i just tried it but, there is real bad screen tearing, other then that, I died real fast , going to have to keep trying lol.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2023 22:44
HI Game_Code_Here, thanks for trying the game. Sorry to hear you've got problems with screen tearing. I've not seen this myself with any of the devices that I've used. The game has a fixed sync rate of 60 fps so maybe this is clashing with your monitor settings, other than that I couldn't guess at what's causing the issue.

I'm kinda hoping you made it through the first stage as I toned down the difficulty quite a lot compared to the Alpha build.

I'm hoping to upload the Android version this weekend.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, Yes I got to level 4 and loving the game.

The tearing is not that bad but yes, I do believe it is clashing with my laptop frames.

Keep up the good work.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2023 12:33 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2023 12:36
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
The black/white color scheme reminded me of Blame! comic.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/blame.jpg
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2023 18:34 Edited at: 16th Jul 2023 18:36
Hi Scribble, that's some nice art you linked it and an interesting comment you made. The look of Rogue Machine was inspired by a comic book called Shakara . I just like the black and white art with the splashes of red. It also made texturing the models much easier. The robots aren't textured at all and the maps only use four textures.

Rogue Machine is now up on Google Play

I've also included it in the AGK showcase so thanks to whoever approved that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:54:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:54:57