Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Specular maps or something close

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2023 18:39 Edited at: 28th May 2023 19:55
For some reason there is no support for Specular maps to make 3d object shine or glossy.

I am not sure why there is no support for this and everything under the sun has it but I am struggling with trying to get leather to look like leather.

I tried using the shader pack for setting my player mesh to have a specular shine to it and set it up just as in the example but my player model disappears. Turns invisible.

Now when I run the example the specular works fine but this is with a created object in game and not animated with bones so I am wondering if this is the reason.

So the only way to get a object specular shine is with a shader that does not work.

So I am lost.

Even Blender has shine and specular and gloss with pbr support.

If this is a game maker should we not have the same? Or even better?

This is not the only thing that is on my must have list for game making, there is a long list but this is one of the things that is the highest.

So after this rant, is there a easy way to add shine or bloom to a 3d animated object?

I am begging for the game creators to add pbr shader support.

Edit

I tried putting specular from the shader pack on my terrain object and it works good and adds specular to it making it look real good.

But on a animated boned object they disappear.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2023 22:34
Did you check the attributes exist in the mesh match those in the shader file? ie grab the mesh of your bone rigged object into a memblock, get the attribute list, find the bone shader file(there are 2 but both have same attributes so choose either) then look for the word attribute and compare the attributes from the mesh to those in the shader file to ensure they match. If this does not sound familiar you should read the relevant parts of the help files. Likewise you should ensure that the textures are applied to the correct texture stages. Often things disappear when things have not been set up correctly where shaders are concerned. I can only hazard a guess at this point that you might be missing bone indices.

There is a PBR demo that comes with agk studio though things are not dynamic but baked.
There is a bloom shader in your projects folder that comes with both versions of agk.

Blender was never built with any TGC product in mind, the two are not compatible in terms of shaders as they are more often than not(in the past at least) built for the engine, Blender has its own game engine. If it is bone indices that are the issue then I cannot say I know how to add them inn blender...to put it simply I have not tried.

We often consider "game makers" as things like game guru or fpsc, ie point n click drag n drop style editor, agk is a B.A.S.I.C language and its capabilities are limited to OGL 2(though think its not 100% implemented but 1.1 is?), so anything vulkan is set to those limits too - at least as far as I know...someone might wanna jump in here with the exact info relating to this area, on steam the min spec is stated as an OpenGL 2.0 capable card is required. That is not to say that "game maker" is some industry term, idk, I simply picked that up from reading these forums. So in terms of should we not have better...well when we purchase the product it is best to pay attention to what it says its limits are. Not saying there is no chance of better capabilities, however it has always seemed unlikely, ultimately it is up to TGC.
Now I just mentioned vulkan, however you have posted this on the classic board - classic does not have vulkan, only studio has. On Your other thread you said at first you fixed your issue by using vulkan, so you must already own studio so you already have the PBR demo installed.

There is little point begging TGC on here, I don't really ever see any of them on here other than the update threads and even then it can be long periods of time between visits.
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so this is what i have found

vulkan runs any shader with no problems and my models so not disappear but thy do not change the look at all lol.

if I run them in classic there black messed up or disappear .

What I want is a shader that makes my models shine on the meshes that are supposes to shine like metal or shinny leather.

So like in dark basic pro when you put a specular map on a model it shines only on that part.

So I am close to a solution but not there yet.

There is one example here on the forums that shows it shiny but it does not work for me.

I am still testing.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2023 04:49
Can you post a link to the example on the forum please?
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2023 05:35 Edited at: 31st May 2023 05:36
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Ok I found my big mistake and it works now and looks wonderful.

In the shader pack setting specular can only work with one uv map and three textures.

I was trying to set it to a mesh with 8 texture meshes all textured to each child object.

When I changed his uv to one whole uv for all the child objects it works.

Here is the command I was trying to use but for the mesh.

SP_Illumination_AddObject(player,player_defuse,player_rough,player_light,-1)

As for the example i can not find it but I believe it is under glossy or shine or something of the such. Let me look.

One mistake can make a nightmare.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so after testing and testing and learning this is my final result.

So I guess the shader pack is a lot better then i ever thought.

This in game looks just like in Blender in every way.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2023 11:03
Looking good, glad you got it sorted out
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:05:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:05:54