Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DP Pro for other stuff than games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 18:07
I'm seriously considering using DB Pro professionally in a way that could benefit both the package and me. Sometimes I get assignments to do modelling jobs. For instance, I did a model for the architectural commission in my home city for an architecture contest they had. That one I did in a static model in 3d Studio Max.

With DB Pro I think I could make a more stunning model, with a lot more whiz-bang, and I could cut the price radically and generate more business...

Imagine having a model you could walk around in as effortlessly as you do in an FPS, together with music and stuff?

I think perhaps TGC ought to widen the language use description a bit. I mean, I understand that DB Pro is primarily a bobbyist gaming language, and TGC wants to keep it that way. But perhaps one could also push it for other fields, to aid the hobbyist gaming part?

What other non-gaming things would you consider doing with DB Pro?

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro can do almost anything that other languages can do. It's just that most people want to make games.

Pincho.
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 18:18
Yeah, I understand that. I use DP Pro because I want to make games too. But still, it can't hurt if TGC could have a little blurb saying something like: "DBP was used to model Infernal Towers, the highest sky scraper in the World, and helped XYZ Corp win the design competition".

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 18:19
If the sound system in DBPro was slightly improved, I might consider making a sound editor.

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 19:33
VB.NET and DX9 SDK For Managed Code, then all you need is an .X model.

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply! http://www.mod2software.com
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 02:09
@CattleRustler

Haha, I'm not quite THAT fanatical about VB.NET (yet?). I believe that I could do a fairly good walk-around-model in five minutes with DB Pro if I had a finished 3d model that I could convert into a .X file.

I mean, you don't need sliding collissions and fancy stuff to make a good walk-around-model, and you don't need AI or an advanced weapons system algorithm.

I don't think .Net can do that yet.

-----
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 03:52
you can do anything that dbp can do in vb.net and dxsdk9.
need proof? go to ms site and go to dx home page and look around for the info on dx9 sdk for managed code...

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply! http://www.mod2software.com
kenmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 05:08 Edited at: 27th Jun 2012 06:11
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 08:36
@CattleRustler

Yes, I agree. You can do anything in VB.Net that you can do in DB Pro. But it will take longer because you will have to handcode more in VB than you have to in DB.

VB is the more complex, general language. DB is more of a niche language sitting on top of a good engine that can be used as described above.

-----
-----
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 14:38
In DBPro, you've got :

SQL access
Speech
File I/O with sharing
Advanced maths functions
GUI

so you can certainly do other things other than games...

The place for all great plug-ins

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:43:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:43:21