Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Algorithm for square root

Author
User Banned
Posted: 6th Aug 2023 08:27
Will post here too as Studio is the main app these days, I don't think people go into classic thread much. I have worked out how square root works and I believe is simply

Just something for you guys to replace the standard sqrt function. I haven't tested it. It's from memory, but by all means give it a try and see if it comes out correctly, not sure how fast it is and maybe faster than sqrt

I have tested small ones like 64, 81 etc and comes back correct.

Trying large ones like huge numbers then will have to increase that for loop to something like 100, 1000 or do a while loop to stop when it starts repeating the result

I hope you can utilise it somewhere in our developments. It's better then the long winded sqrt. Give it a try alongside sqrt to see results but I think and tested it to be exact and faster

Aidan
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Just tested it out of curiosity. The result was correct but the built in Sqrt() command is a lot faster even after reducing the for loop in the function to 10 iterations. Keep in mind that AppGameKit (Tier1) is an interpreted language. While your algorithm may or may not be faster (I have no idea), the built in Sqrt() is calling a compiled C++ function which can run hundreds of times faster than AGK's bytecode when it comes to loops and logical/mathematical operations. You'd need to test it in Tier 2 to see if your algorithm is actually faster.

Here's the code I used and my results.

Both outputted a result of 8.944272
Sqrt() time = 6ms
mysqrt() time = 141ms

Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 6th Aug 2023 15:32
Thanks for testing, it was nice to work out how sqrt mathematically works with that simple

X = 0.5 * ( x + ( n / x ) )

And maybe one day I'll test it in c++ to check its timings to the normal sqrt then maybe the Devs can replace the normal or add an additional sqrt function using the above that is indeed noticeably faster.

C++ compiles straight to ASM which is at machine level so
No harm in trying it I suppose as a new agk built in function
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 6th Aug 2023 18:21 Edited at: 6th Aug 2023 19:02
But then I've noticed that you have hard coded 10 steps into the for loop. Promise it will find the answer within 5:for small numbers.so your iterations is wasting time with 5/6 extra unnecessary steps

So will have to jig the code to do a while loop instead and stop or exit the while loop once it finds its first repeat.

Cause it will fail straight away if want to do higher / huge numbers
I will be back soon with that code

Promise This will be worth investigatin

Forgive my coding, I don't have appgamekit. Doing it from memory
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2023 23:59
There are many ways to calculate the square root of X.
In general, the faster the calculation, the less accurate it is.
Quake III used a very fast inverse square root for normalization, which was about three times faster, with a margin of error of about 1%, which was negligible for this purpose.

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried it again with your new function (same code otherwise), still getting about 6ms for the built in sqrt() and 106ms for the custom one. But again, the interpreter is almost certainly a bottleneck for this kind of thing, especially inside of an interpreted function call. I did a quick test with a function that does nothing other than return 1.0, and the sqrt() call was still faster. Up to 2x faster over 100,000 iterations.
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 7th Aug 2023 07:43
Thanks again guys.

I don't understand the concept of the magic number version involving

0x5f3759df

It didn't work for me either that one, came back as wrong results.

I'll leave this for now until get my hands on a laptop with c++

Thanks Hendron too for your bit of testing
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 8th Aug 2023 08:04 Edited at: 8th Aug 2023 09:11
Ok cool. Did some digging and this fast root thing is (c#) but similarly in most

Or

Converted to AGK. Forgive me if it's wrong. Doing it from memory

This results in

Which is from

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.geeksforgeeks.org/fast-inverse-square-root/amp/

But the code suggests to find the root of 256. This by rights is not. The root of 256 is 16 or 16 x 16 not 0.0623942

My mind boggles with this FastRoot one, doesn't make no sense

Anyway

Aidan
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2023 17:56
As PSY has already pointed out, almost inverse square root is only an approximation of the real square root.
Which is perfectly fine for game development (most of the time).
If you multiply your 256 by 0.0623942 you get the approximate value. (15.9729152)
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)

Donations are always welcome.
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 9th Aug 2023 08:23 Edited at: 9th Aug 2023 08:26
Thanks for that

256 x 0.0625 = 16

Which is definitely close to that approximation. Now understandable, I just couldn't wrap this idea in my mind. All good now.

Which will work for distance maths, cross vector maths, normalisations I suppose. Heavily useful all the same

D# = sqrt ( (X2-X1)* (X2-X1)+(Y2-Y1)*(Y2-Y1) +(Z2-Z1) *(Z2-Z1))
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2023 08:02
As a note: Fast Approximation for Square Roots while we're useful 20 years ago are no longer going to provide the same performance differential as when first proposed.

You have to keep on mind that all CPUs now have Mathematics Accelerators... i.e. Fixed Function accelerated processing for various common mathematics problems.
This will provide close to, if not the same performance as approx. approaches whole offering an accurate calculation... I mean a BIG performance issue with Sqrt was always the branching, but we now have intelligent branch prediction.

Figuring out the maths behind various common tasks is a good exercise to know /what/ is going on behind the scenes but in general it's simply an academic exercise rather than something you'd do for performance
Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 11th Nov 2023 13:30 Edited at: 11th Nov 2023 15:28
Here is a math hack

Square root 25

Add ( 2 + 5) = 7 - 2 = 5

Square root 64

Add ( 6 + 4 ) = 10 - 2 = 8

Square root 196

Add ( 1 + 9 + 6 ) = 16 - 2 = 14

Square root 289

Add ( 2 + 8 + 9 ) = 19 - 2 = 17

Try it out

Edit... Ignore me

Square root 11

1 + 1 = 2 - 2 = 0

Instead of 3.3xxxxxxx something

I got my hopes up then lol

Don't believe any maths shorts on YouTube lol

On the other hand, it's fascinating why these particular numbers work so well.

Are they whole, perfect, Fibonacci, prime numbers or something

But 3 x 3 = 9, so

9 on its own using the above - 2 = 7 )wrong)

God knows why that you tuber is surviving giving me hope then destroying it at same time lol
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2023 18:01
@Arch-Ok, I think your algorithm could be sped up by ditching the memblock. I think there's a bitwise method for changing that float to an int that should be faster. Whether or not its enough to make it as fast as the built-in sqrt I can't say.
I ran your program and got these results:

As far as precision goes, I'd be perfectly happy with it up to the hundredths place. Anything more than that in most cases is negligible.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 00:27:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 00:27:43