Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / My experiments with the ECS

Author
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2023 09:58
The Entity Component System (ECS)

I set myself the task to develop such a system in AGK-Basic (Tier 1). In an object oriented environment like C# or C++ this is no problem.
The possibility to create classes with inheritance and overrides are very helpful. But AppGameKit does not offer this comfort.

ECS - what is that?
Some of you may have already heard or read something about it. I'll try to define it in my own words.

Entity
An entity, roughly speaking, can be anything in a game environment. Every object that is displayed. But also what is not visible. For example also any triggers. It does not have any functions of its own. It is rather a collection of data (components) that describe a function or behavior. So the entity is a description about the appearance, behavior and function of an object.

Component
The component contains only low-level data. No functionality or logic. Only data. Typical components would be for example position, acceleration and appearance. The position would have x,y and z values. Acceleration would have corresponding acceleration values and Appearance would have, for example, sprite data. The components are then used to describe the entities.

System
The systems execute the logic, behavior and functions of the entities. They are the control centers of all entities. Usually a system is developed for each behavior. For example For motion, the motion system would go through components that have an acceleration and position and calculate and write back the new position data. While the representation system would then go through all the sprite components and represent them. Thus, a system would have to be developed for each behavior.

Here would be a link for a better description.
I think the concept can be implemented in several ways.

As an example of an implementation of ECS, I have developed a Space Invaders clone.
The player, for example, is an entity. This entity has certain properties. It must be represented. It has to move. It is controllable. So we have three systems that have to be implemented.
- Display system
- Motion system
- Control system
In addition, there is an entity system. This system is responsible for the creation and deletion of entire entities. It also generates unique ID's that are used to identify the entities. With it then also the individual components are connected with one another. Thus can be determined which component to which Entity belongs.
This system is not a system in the sense of ECS. A better designation, in order to avoid confusion, would be Entity server. Because it serves us with new entities or deletes them.

So how do all these parts work together?
The entity server creates the entities, these call the system functions to create the components which are important for the respective system. The individual components are stored in arrays. In order for them to be found again, they need the entity name, or number in my case. The system then goes through the components and determines the behavior according to their components.

Here is an example of a component from my project.

For example, the player entity is created like this.

In the last code snippet you can already see which system I use.
A .._AddProperty finally adds all the components of the system.

For the movement, it looks like this.

For the update of this system it goes through the array velocity.

This is of course only a rough outline. A finished project is available for download. First the DOCUMENTED source code without media. The second is the compiled game. Packed with Vishnu Studio. Great Program for media protection .
I have omitted the sound for now, because I wanted to try it out first how everything could work under BASIC.

I really enjoyed this experiment. Because thinking in the ECS sense is different than the typical approach I usually followed in game development. That's how I feel about it.

What about you?
Are you already familiar with ECS?
Have you already used it?
What does your implementation look like?

Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)

Donations are always welcome.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2023 22:51
Nice one, interesting experiment . Does it offer any speed improvements over 'standard' coding, eg, the massive amount of units you can do with ECS in Unity?
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2023 13:19
I think under AppGameKit you will not have any speed advantage.
Agk has to constantly search the component lists for the right components that belong to an entity.

I think here the advantage is the easy extensibility.
In my SpaceInvaders example I don't have a UFO flying along the top of the screen.
Such an entity should be easy to add with the existing components and systems.

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2023 01:15
Interesting experiment, and interesting approach ..

I have been using an ECS (Entt) in my raylib projects with such a framework its kind of a mandatory requirement else the code is messy and it made implementing things like a animation manager and box2d fairly simple tasks, I had not ever thought of implementing Entt into AppGameKit as it already has some basic form of entity management out the box (as in the ID system) but still needs classes to manage things a ECS is probably a better solution

this *could* be a good system even in tier1 if used correctly it would not *exactly* speed up the code or give any beneficial speed increase over standard coding styles but could help prevent bottle necks caused by multiple management loops, for example, if all dynamic sprites and objects have a velocity and direction and these components are managed in a single loop ... all movement for the game is handled in that single loop, player, enemy's, platforms, lifts etc etc ... so in theory yes it can help speed up game code but only by virtue of its intended use case and yes it would/does make extending things much easier

its certainly something to think about, especially in tier2

Have you looked at Entt? (its not anything that cant be done with a class wrapping a std::vector it just saves reinventing the wheel and provides the operators and helper functions for managing the ECS)
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2023 17:19
I did not know this before. I had seen some ECS libs, but this one didn't catch my eye until now.
It seems to be very flexible and potent.
However, I must say that it is more fun to develop something like this myself.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 14:47:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 14:47:33