Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Info about 3d

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 20:58
I'm interested in creating games, so I've downloaded the DarkBasic demo, and have worked my way through the tutorials.

The lesson with the fully animated character contains the following code:

rem Load 3D object and append walking data to it
LOAD OBJECT "idle.x",1 : APPEND OBJECT "walk.x",1,100

Please can you tell me how I would create and edit an object like "idle.x". Do I need more software, and how easy is it to use?

AgentX20
D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 03:05
you'll need a modeling software like MilkShape or GameSpace or 3D Canvas Pro. MilkShape is very good in model creations, its not expensive, and its very easy to learn. by MilkShape you can creat or edit ur model by adding some animations like "walk.x". check out the "3D modeling" icon above.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 04:04
Milkshape has the best price out there, but I find it a little difficult to use. If you can bounce it, Caligari's gameSpace is $300, a nice price compared to discreet's huge $3500 powerful monstrosity.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 10:19 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 10:20
Well GMAX is free and it's a full copy of 3ds max 4!!!!
Obviously the best solution if you haven't so much money!!!
Get it here:

[href] www.discreet.com [/href]
Rage_Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 16:54
No it bloody well isn't. The gMax file format can't be used in DBPro. Do you really think Discreet would be stupid enough to give away for free a fully-working version of its flagship software?

You can use gMax with "game packs" that are supported by some games in order to create additional content. AFAIK, you can't use it as a free modeller.

Its exactly like the Maya Personal Learning Edition. You can use it to *learn* the software, but if you want to actually use it for anything, you have to buy the full product.

There is some disagreement about whether the EULA allows you to create game content for games that don't support game packs. AFAIK, you can't....at least the exporters that allowed you to export to MD2 now don't work with the latest version of gMax.

www.tronsoftware.co.uk
AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 180GB HDD, 512MB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR, Windows XP Pro, DirectX 9.0b
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 06:53
I love gmax's interface and all that, but in actuality it's only good for models. Most of the formats it exports to don't store animation data correctly, or at least in the way so that a converter can change .md3 or whatever to .x

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:36:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:36:30