Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / VS Code Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2023 18:30 Edited at: 21st Oct 2023 12:20
Hi having another stab at VS code . I think I'm nearly there . The problem I am paused on is it cannot find the compiler.
Thanks for reading .
Any help appreciated . Where is the compiler ?
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio\media\compiler\AGKCompiler64.exe" //here even
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2023 19:24
do you mean the Compile button/F Key?
F5 = Run
F6 = Broadcast
F7 = Compile

otherwise, top-right:

if you're asking about the compiler itself, i dont think it's exposed.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2023 15:12 Edited at: 17th Oct 2023 16:23
@Pfaber1, It sounds like you have not set the path for AppGameKit Studio.

If you are seeing the error 'Could not find AppGameKit Compiler, please check that you are using the latest version of AppGameKit Studio, and that your install folder path is correct in the extension settings' then try the following:-

1. Open VSCode and click the cog on the bottom left of the screen
2. select settings
3. On the user tab look for Extensions and expand the selection
4. select the AppGameKit Language Client
5. in the Agk Path field set the path eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AppGameKit Studio

If you like VSCode I have found this extension useful for adding additional menu buttons. It makes it feel more like the classic version of agk for me.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=jerrygoyal.shortcut-menu-bar

Another tip is to exclude files / folder types from the explorer pane so that only .agc file types are displayed, this makes the explorer a lot less confusing.

To do this edit the settings.json file which is located in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Code\User

This is how I have configured mine:-

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2023 17:59 Edited at: 17th Oct 2023 18:00
ah, i figured since pfaber said "another stab" they already had it installed. there's a set-up attached guide HERE if needed.

with that, maybe the compiler is somewhat exposed? not that i'd know how to direct to it, but does that language server found @ AppGameKit Studio\VSCode do that dirty work?

otherwise, nice find and advice, zaxxan. we could really use a guide for using studio under VSC written by someone who's explored the notion which it seems you have
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2023 18:17 Edited at: 17th Oct 2023 18:46
I think the compiler must be exposed in someway as the VSCode extension accesses it, only TGC have the secret to that though. It's a shame Paul left as the VSCode extension could have been even better with some more development, I'm hoping Orvillian will continue improving it???

I have been using VScode for 2 or 3 months now and I have been using it as a replacement for Classic and it does come quite close. I only use Studio to export to android. If TGC could create a standalone export tool that could be started from VScode it would solve this issue. The VSCode editor is a lot nicer to use than the Studio editor in my opinion. If Classic is end of life then it would be nice to see some development time put into improving the vscode extension, I believe that this would be a good path for TGC to take with AppGameKit Studio.

The only things I'm currently missing from Classic are the F1 help key and the export tool.

From a guide point of view I found the guide that you produced very helpful but other than the info I posted above I don't think I could add any more to it at this point unfortunately. If I do discover anything useful I will certainly post on here. Perhaps between us we could consolidate our findings to improve your guide? If TGC would release the source code to the extension then perhaps the community could help to develop it further?
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2023 12:30
Thanks for all the advice. I'm out at the moment but will try all the suggestions when I get home
Bonjour

Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2023 10:49 Edited at: 21st Oct 2023 12:22
I've found the compiler.

"C:\Users\NAME\Desktop\AppGameKit Studio\media\interpreters\compiler\AGKCompiler64.exe"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio\media\compiler\AGKCompiler64.exe"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 00:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 00:26:02