Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Set3DPhysicsCharacterControllerGravity( objID, gravity )?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello. I have a question.
About Set3DPhysicsCharacterControllerGravity( objID, gravity ) command, the Help page says the gravity default value is (9.8 * 3)
Does that means the default gravity is 9.8x3 = 29.4?
What does the 3 actually means? It's not some kind of 3-way vector is it? In real life gravity is 9.8, but why is it need to be multiplied by 3 in AppGameKit?
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 00:26
Sorry late posting here and not sure this is going in right direction, but if the default setting for the Character Gravity is the same as the world's Set3DPhysicsGravity() then perhaps the x3 refers to X/Y/Z axis. Default is -10 in Y axis so thinking that might be it.

With Get3DPhysicsCharacterControllerGravity() only returning a single float I'm second guessing this...
Automation on Steam now!
Score Table Jr. on Google Play!
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 01:38
I was wondering if it relates to scaling to the bullet physics. To make things visually correct ???
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2024 12:28 Edited at: 10th Jan 2024 12:28
Yeah I don't understand why the default Character Controller gravity is 9.8x3 = 29.4,
while Set3DPhysicsGravity( x, y, z ) default is ( 0.0, -10.0, 0.0 ).
Just wondering if there is something 'hidden' with the calculation that will trip me later on. But so far, nothing significant. Maybe the Rigid Body physics is a separate system from Character Controller system. Maybe it doesn't really matter
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2024 14:50
Haven't played with bullet much at all, but maybe it is useful as an easier control method like applying forces to match character controller alignment at various times for things like jet pack controls or drones etc without having to find new local to world offsets to impart manual force to achieve the same? Or maybe other forces cannot be applied to character controller in the usual manner like for kinematics/dynamic/static so this is the way to do it instead? Just thoughts really - I have been warned about having them many times before...
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 02:19:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 02:19:49