Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Suggestions for Starship Generator/Explorer project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 13th Nov 2023 01:35
Hi Guys
While working on a completely different application I have come across some random details and techniques that gave me a random Idea!
The Idea is to create a Starship generator/explorer application just for fun! technically you click a button, and the application randomly generates a new Starship that you can then explore.
so far, It can randomly generate and place the main areas of the starship Flight Deck, Crew Quarters, Engine rooms etc. at present these are just empty boxes, linked by a maze of corridors where I have spent more time!

Corridor sections come in a relatively small selection of templates, Straight, Corner, T-Piece and Cross road. the good bit is these templates are made up from a collection of different sections that get glued together based on a procedural equation, i.e. I have floor tiles that for the best part are properly configured, but randomly some have missing tiles exposing what lies beneath, same goes for Ceiling and Wall sections.

Currently the corridors are generated using a rudimentary maze algorithm (too slow!) but the results are quite impressive, you can walk around for ages.
I've now reached a point where I'm looking into designing the other areas using the same system but before I continue, I'm looking for suggestions for all the different areas you can think would be on a Starship, I have a list (small section detailed below) to give you an idea.
FLIGHT DECK
COMUNICATIONS
NAVIGATION
MEDICAL FACILITIES
CREW QUARTERS
PASENGER FACILITIES
DINING FACILITIES
RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
DETENTION/SECURITY
ENGINEERING
ENGINE ROOM
ENVIRONMENTAL FACILITIES
I currently have a large collection of 3D objects which will eventually be used to populate these areas.

I'm not only looking for specific areas, but for any Spaceship types you can imagine.
EXPLORER
CARGO
RESEARCH
TRADER
WARSHIP
TRANSPORT

This project is in so much in its infancy, the ink hasn't dried yet, but once I've got a big enough list, I can focus on creating the required individual elements that can be used by all Ships/Areas, furnishings etc.
If it ever gets completed adding enemies, puzzles or treasure hunt tasks should be relatively easy.

Live Long & Prosper mVr.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 14:04:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 14:04:57