Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / ParaglidingXC V2 - A Paragliding Game, for iOS and Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2023 13:26 Edited at: 17th Dec 2023 14:25
Hi Folks,

i just wanted to share the first screenshot of my upcoming mobile game called ParaglidingXC V2.
It is a semi realistic cross country flight game, where pilots have to fly through all the waypoints to the goal using thermals or ridge soaring.

it features:

- dynamic moving sun
- different weather conditions (they may change during flight, e.g. wind direction or wind force changes, thermals are getting weaker, ...)
- compete against the world with an inbuilt hiscore feature
- time acceleration available (to shorten long glide times)
- over 160.000 trees rendered on mid-range mobiles devices @60fps
- english/german language switchable
- silent mode, turns off vario beep beep beep and shows an arrow instead, your wife/girfriend will love this feature
- different level details selectable for maximum rendering speed of your device
- currently 1 map with 15 challenging tasks available (more to come within the new updates)

it is WIP at the moment, but targeted release date is mid january 2024.

hope you guys like it.

cheers,

Mac
--
Mac
Lead Programmer

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2023 15:51 Edited at: 17th Dec 2023 15:52
looks good and sounds fun, muc.

not sure if the terrain is random or ? but it might be fun to include actual locations from around the world?

good luck with the release and thanks for sharing

ps: video?
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2023 16:21
The terrain is generated by myself (no actual locations though) - video will be available a few days before release date. i have to polish some small things first
--
Mac
Lead Programmer
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
The screenshot looks fun. The kind of fun that reminded me of Just Cause 2.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2024 19:24
This is pretty damn cool!! Well done
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks amazing, especially considering the mobile target. 160,000 trees on mid-range mobiles? Is that through a shader or some other technique? And does that include collision detection for them?
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2024 05:11
The trees are grouped into 16 chunks, only the nearest ones to the camera will be drawn. Every chunk consist of only 1 Mesh (containing 10k trees) - thats it. Collision is off at the moment, because you can turn the trees off anyway ingame. Later on i will incorporate collision using some simple distance checks. no fancy shader stuff (i don't know shaders at all )
--
Mac
Lead Programmer
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow Mac, that would be an amazing level of mesh content far beyond what I would guess could be feasible. I know of no way that 16 chunks of one mesh with 10,000 trees each would run on any mobile device at 60 FPS. Even if each tree only consisted of two split planes each with no collision. Are you LOD stepping any of those? And are you dynamically adjusting the height of each tree when each chunk is repositioned for a new location on the terrain? You definitely have my attention with such an achievement and I'll be interested in learning more about how you accomplished it. This has been a major struggle for me when trying to develop plant placement and rendering systems for terrain.
haliop7
Years of Service
User Offline
Give us a Video!!!
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2024 10:24
Video will follow as soon the game is available, should not take too long (hopefully).

@SFSW:

my trees consist of 2 planes each, 10.000 trees joined together into 1 single mesh/1 surface (using blender), no lod. The trees positions are precalculated as trees normally don't move. in the end i have only 16 "tree" meshes to show/hide, a maximum of 8 meshes visible at the same time (around player/camera, depending on camera range). So most of the time my game will render 5-8 tree meshes (meaning 50k-80k trees). this method has some drawbacks as well, all the trees look the same, because they share the same surface, they don't move with the wind and shadowing them is sloooooow. in my game the trees won't cast shadows, but even without shadows they do their job pretty well.

the raw rendering power of agks engine is not that bad, do not underestimate. even on my waaaay old iphone6s my game spits out 60 fps with all those trees rendered.
--
Mac
Lead Programmer
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
I totally concur on the power of the AppGameKit engine and utilize its capabilities a lot myself. I would have expected any limitations with that volume of trees to be on the more hardware side of things anyway, rather than engine. I'm probably just trying to do too much with plants Pre-sculpted, no collision, no shadows, and single surface/mesh makes things sound a bit more feasible. Quite impressive, nice work!
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2024 07:10
My game is now available for iOS & iPadOS. Soon available for Android too!

--
Mac
Lead Programmer
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2024 15:58
Quote: "My game is now available"

congrats! link(s)?

and, make sure to add this to the AGK Showcase?
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2024 07:14 Edited at: 14th Apr 2024 07:15
Available for Apple (Android coming soon):

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/paraglidingxc-v2/id6469412850

I will add it to the Showcase
--
Mac
Lead Programmer
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2024 06:36
Guys, i need your help.

i am in the need of another 5 testers for the android version of my game, before i can release it to the playstore (those new rules do suck!).

so, please, contact me if you are interested!

you will get a code to download my game for free.

i am counting on you guys!

byeeeee!
--
Mac
Lead Programmer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 11:26:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 11:26:03