Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / I just managed to run AGK in Raspberry Pi 4, Bookworm

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2023 19:12
I was trying to run AppGameKit in the raspberry pi 4 with Bookworm 64 and only got black screens, and strange failures, basically the system says that it can not find the executable.

Currently I have AppGameKit (2023-01-26) running (IDE and Tier 1) on Bullseye 64, and the player is the one compiled by Tboy (Dec 19, 2023), with GPIO support (in this thread https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/229239 ).

But since the new raspberry pi boards support primarily BookWorm, I need to be sure that 5 years from now am not stuck with some outdated OS and Board.

Then, after some web reading I found that it is possible that the 64 bit architecture OS has that same error (file or directory not found, or XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment) when running 32 bit applications. I added the architecture with dpkg --add-architecture armv7 but the problem remains.

So I decided to burn an SD card with BookWorm32 and it was the complete solution.

To my delight, AGK(2023-01-26) works perfectly in BookWorm32. I didn't even have to install any package yet. It ran well on first boot, just copied and unpacked AppGameKit to a new folder in my user profile.
I tested GPIO, Files, Bone Animation and the game projects included in the download. One of my goals is to be able to create multiplatform apps or games developed in AppGameKit Studio on my pc or mac and use them with Tier1 players on all the platforms available

This is great.

Now for Tier2, I have to figure out how to configure the environment, packages needed, Etc.
Let's go to Mars
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2023 06:55 Edited at: 21st Dec 2023 14:26
Brilliant News.. and good work..

I'll try and see if I can replicate your results with Bookworm32

Where did you unpack the AppGameKit - desktop ?

Yeshu777
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2023 15:16 Edited at: 21st Dec 2023 16:47
I always create a "jdev" folder under ~/ and there I put the tar and unpack. It unpacks to the folder AGKPi, then I rename it according to the version, sort of AGKPi2021A, so I can have other versions as well.
AlsoI create ttere a jDownloads and Jagkprg where I put all the agk projects, including the ones that come with AGK. The J is of course for my name.
This makes a very defined folder structure and well organized, in my opinion.
Also have other similar folders for python, xojo, and others.

So far the only issue I have with BookWorm is that for python it requires virtual environments for python, but in the end is a good thing. For AppGameKit didn't find any issue, at least for Tier1.
Perhaps after christmas I will try to compile with Tier 2 in the pi.

EDIT: Of course you can unpack to the desktop. I just think it is more organized in the way I do it.
Let's go to Mars
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2023 16:54 Edited at: 21st Dec 2023 17:08
Hey,

Ok initially, flashed Raspian Bookworm 32 - AppGameKit simply unpacked to desktop.

All starts up perfectly.

I copied the PiPlayer from the last post from tboy to the Players directory.

I compiled a known working project from Pi3 - nada

Running from terminal, it's reporting "libopenmaxil.so" isn't there..

Before I install any additional libs etc.. did you encounter anything like this?

Looking further I came across this by tboy..

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/228178

Yeshu777
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2023 17:58 Edited at: 21st Dec 2023 18:19
Hi Yeshu777,
I didn't install any library or anything else. It just worked with what the system has as default. (Used the Raspberry PI OS installed, latest version at this date).

Just copied the AppGameKit from january 2023, unpacked it. I renamed both players (the one in "players" and the other in "Tier 1/compiler/interpreter) from "PiPlayer" to "PiPlayer original" so the compiler ignores it. Then copied the latest PiPlayer from Tboy in both places, and added the execute permission. Just to be sure, do check both places for a PiPlayer and substitute for the new one. .

I didn't receive any libopenmaxil.so alert. That one is related to the openmax libraries that are not supported even on Bullseye AFAIK, and that is why the omxplayer does not work too.

EDIT: I replicated the problem by using the PiPlayer that comes included in the Jan 26, 2023 tar file from TGC. This means that you are not using the latest Tboy's player. Copy it to both folders I mentioned above and the problem will disappear.
Path to both folders:

AGKPI/Players/RaspPi
AGKPi/Tier1/Compiler/Interpreters/

Am sure the second one is what the compiler copies to the target and changes name to the project's name. but is good to change the player in both locations.
Let's go to Mars
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2023 21:07
Hey JD,

Many thanks, I hadn't replaced the Tier1/Compiler/Interpreters Player..!!!

Works like a charm!! ( albeit some more tests to run )

However, the game started as if it was running on the Pi 3B+

Can't thank you ( & tboy ) enough, Diolch!

Yeshu777

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 01:45:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 01:45:03