Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Pushing P4 to 5.25GHz with Liquid Nitrogen!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 00:43 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2004 00:44
Do I need say more?

check this out: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html

There is a video you can watch too!

P.S:That's cold...

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 00:57
wow this would be amazing... with the exception that Intel themselves did this with thier 2.5ghz processor only last year and pushed it upto 8ghz

also with a freeza cooling system, there are currently 4.8ghz systems being sold ... my personal favourite is the Quad Opteron 4.0ghz system ;; just a pure monster processing power without a server farm
still a nice lil achievement for the little man eh hehee

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 01:00
theres a diamond based cpus being tested for mobile phone towers and guess what they are (eighty)80 ghz in speed
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 01:06
Man, I would hate to know what would happen if that cooler ever broke inside someones bedroom. They'd never wake up until someone from the future thawed em

But really, I think thats pretty amazing. Now if I could get my processor to go that fast....heh.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 01:10
lol well i have a 12ghz system at home which was the better part of $50,000 ... can only imagine what an 80ghz one would cost hehee

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 02:57
Hmm, 12ghz system sitting at home.. erm, I wouldn't like to go fishing with you..

I can just imagine it now.. "oh, look I caught moby dick"

You sure did

Kevin Picone
Play Basic - Visible Worlds - Kyruss II
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 03:05
'I bet those don't come cheap'

They will soon. Diamonds are already starting to be manufactured.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 03:12
poor raven cant even get by one day without a shaggy dog story.
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 04:14 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2004 04:20
i do fine with my 2xP4 2.8 GHZ, I plan on going 2 XEON 3.0GHZ by febuary

liquid nitrogen for the cooler is very dangerous.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 04:35
Quad Opteron 2.8ghz OC 3.0ghz on a liquid cooling system w|3gb onboard ram + 12gb PCI Expanded Ram and 2x QuadroFX 2000 AAGP + PCI
running on AMD 864 Chipset board.

Why, what the hell do you people render on?
... if you want i'll fish out who i got it from, but these guys do far better systems now.

puffy knows the link as he visits their site alot of drools

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
hey raven where did you get that PCI expanded ram card.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 10:12
He has that one sitting at home, but he puts "900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro" in his sig.

He didn't get it james... he doesn't have crap.. well except the crap he collects every morning, piles up, sticks video cards in and calls his $50,000 computer system.

Of course, with all that he dishes out, I can't imagine the pile being very big. 12 Ghz up the butt.

www.dbpcommunity.com - free webhosting
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 10:26
12gb of PCI extended ram? What kind of timings do those run at? Sounds like neadlessly large for any common application. Rule of thumb being 1gb per processor. Certainly wouldnt need 3gigs per processor to render with. Thats just silly. I would love to see a screenshot of the task manager telling your PF usage. Thats such a waste of money. More ram doesnt always equal better performance.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 10:41
Hey raven, got a picky???

U must have a digicam!

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 11:48
Froggerman, whats the largest scene you've ever rendered?

Cinematics Generally need to be rendered out at 6200x1600x128bpp (CYR) ... ontop of this your working in the region of 2-600million polygons per scene, including Depth of Field ; Global Illumination ; Raytracing ; -8 to +4 Aliasing (24x) ; Motion Blur

and even with cutting this up into several render outputs for Shake to handle the composition, can you even begin to imagine the ram useage PER frame? it runs into the gigabytes and the multiprocessors allows the frames to be async rendered, allowing upto 16 passes at once...

when each frame of a 30fps take around 12 passes per frame, this is a god send.

and you can get PCI and now PCI-X Ram Expanders from Watford Electronics, or Crucial, or Kingston Technologies ... if it is a highend seller then it'll sell such things.
It is best to buy them direct, as they're then created for that specific type of ram.

For instance the machine above has 15gb PC3200 Crucial Ram as it is what works best with AMD processors.
i've got a basic digicam, nothing that is grand and no i won't take a picture because a) i'm not at home and b) i don't want any aspect of my apartment shown.

sorry but i don't like people i don't know seeing where i live or anything like that.

and yeah the computer i have in my signature isn't top of the range, what is the point in that?
firstly i don't create with my top end systems, i use them either for additional power when needed; or purely for rendering and such.
The beauty of Windows Server 2003 and Windows 64Bit Edition is that they intercommunicate, allowing a network not to just be a few computer connected together but actaully pool resources where they're needed most.
secondly, the system specs i show is for people to know what system i'll be testing things on.

in general that is my testing system, it is also my general purpose work system... because it doesn't take forever to boot up, it doesn't matter if it get viruses or hacked as there is nothing important on it ... and most of all the parts are cheap to replace, and for a system that is run ALL day, EVERY day, ALL year ;; parts do burn out and break down constantly.

IDE Drives, Graphics Cards, Mice, Keyboards, Monitors, PSU, Fans, Processors, etc...
computers are always turned off, at some point else you just damage them; you think i'll risk damaging systems that have cost me alot and i've bought for a single purpose??

lol you've gotta be crazy, i'm not shelling out $3,000 on top end systems and hardware every 6months just for some yob to hack it and plant a virus. i've learnt my lessons from the past :p

my crappy systems are the ONLY ones i log online with now. and really the only system i do mudaen tasks with... i mean who the hell would want to constantly have to fixx all 6-7 systems rather than just have to keep tinkering with one?

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 12:09
no picy???

awwww

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 12:37
Yes and I'm Bill Gates, I just use my other Human form because I don't want to risk damaging my brain...

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 13:09
So you render cinematic quality stuff on your computer, Raven?

No one in the film industry uses global illumination. That would take about two weeks per second on a small scene. Stop lieing.

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i saw this thing in a magazine once about some guy who fitted an exust stack to his pc to notch up his quake 3 frame rate by a couple of frames!

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 14:25
Unless theres somthing incriminating, or your a fib then its bad to post pictures, but since i have neither :

See it dosen't even show any part of my apartment, so why not show us raven???

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 15:29
lol

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk

- This sentence is not true -
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 15:36
Quote: "sorry but i don't like people i don't know seeing where i live or anything like that."

hmmm, too late...

Quote: "Windows 64Bit Edition"

What Windows 64Bit Edition?

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 15:43
Quote: "Windows 64Bit Edition"

A new version of XP designed for highly technical machines.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 18:03
Problem is, that's for Itanium CPUs only.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 19:48
Raven = Liar

I have bought 3 systems myself, plus helped my friends and family get systems that are better than the one in your sig. No hack, no virus, any of them, ever. It's called a firewall and not downloadig crap off Kazaa. For someone that'll put $50,000 into a pile of crap, you're a real pussy.

I'm not buyin it and it's sad that some of these people are.

http://www.dbspot.com/ - free webhosting (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
Don't forget to listen to the unofficial DB streaming radio station: http://jimmykicks.ath.cx:8000
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 19:55
Why would you render at 30fps????
You want to do the whole thing in slight slow-motion?

What software are you using? Renderman?
Where did you get the ultra high poly models from?

Why the hell would you have such a expensive PC?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 23:11
Quote: "No one in the film industry uses global illumination. That would take about two weeks per second on a small scene"

wow, i keep forgetting we have industry vetrans like Chris in here.
So mate mind explaining to me what Radiosity is without searching on the web?

Quote: "Problem is, that's for Itanium CPUs only."

x86-32, PPC 32/64, Alpha 32/64 out of the box...
yeah so your right now x86-64; man you would need like oh i dunno a Service Pack with a processor upgrade or something to include support for this processor.

On a 3year old Operating System, and from Microsoft who are infamous for never releasing updates for thier software.
Man you really caught me out there <_<

Quote: "I have bought 3 systems myself, plus helped my friends and family get systems that are better than the one in your sig. No hack, no virus, any of them, ever. It's called a firewall and not downloadig crap off Kazaa. For someone that'll put $50,000 into a pile of crap, you're a real pussy"

LOL ... i've had the system in my sig (or most of the current internals) for about 4years now, and i've had countless virus and hacks done on just that pathetic machine.

There is NO firewall in the world that makes you 100% safe, and there is NO anti-virus software that could also claim 100% virus killing abilities.

Currently at home i run Norton Anti-Virus 2004 Corporation, Norton Firewall Security 2004 Professional, Sygate Professional Firewall & Dr. Solomons Anti-Virus.
All of which makes my home system relatively secure, but even still the ONLY way to make 100% sure it can't contract virus or be hacked is to make sure it isn't connected to the internet ever; or have unsecure non-encrypted transfers made.

If you've never had a virus or problem there are one of two explainations, either you are the luckiest PC owner in the world... or you have one and you don't even know it.
you'd be surprised at how many people systems are infected and don't even realise it!

you just start to thing Windows has some minor bugs in it, like slow-downs, or extra flicking of screens, or A: searchs when unneeded.

All of which can be dangerous to software and footage you create, especially non-standard settings which Media Player or such is capable of filling in the blanks for.

Quote: " Why would you render at 30fps????
You want to do the whole thing in slight slow-motion?

What software are you using? Renderman?
Where did you get the ultra high poly models from?

Why the hell would you have such a expensive PC"

- 30fps = NTSC/American Standard 60hz
- i've listed all the software i use before in another topic, so don't waste my time
- where do i get my models? ... oh i dunno, perhaps those few of us who do this as a living actually, i dunno MAKE THEM!
- why have such an expensive PC?

Here's why,
a typical scene to render... oki lets take what i'm working on at the moment.

I have a carpeted floor, short interwoven rug style. in the background is the room wall and door, the door is slightly open leading out onto a landing. and there is a desk slightly to the side against the wall.

in the middle is a small wooden box with engraving on it and gold poured in an set... the wood is polished and wax shined, slightly reflective.
popping out of the box is a small tiger gecko, the skin of it is slightly scaley and bumpy with a shine yet diffused and soft colour dispersion. It's toes are slightly transparent and its eyes are overly reflective.

there are two light sources, one from the left which is daylight through a window (and slightly closed curtains) and from above and slightly to the right is a 9600kelvin lightbulb.

the landing also has it's own lightsource which is a window from the right as well. As it's in the shadow of where the sun is from to cast some actual light there needs to be a white wall just outside of the window say around 10ft away; this would reflect the light nicely and give a slightly darkened glow to the room.

to make sure this appears real, i'd want to take this on a 30mm camera render setting; and set the depth focus to around 6" from the lense which should blur everything in the background (but it still needs to be rendered, materialed and lit properly else it'll spoil the illusion)

so what happens is you render in layers to break up work...
as the gecko itself and box will be using HDRI for rendering the light and reflections for a room which isn't there, they need to be done seperate; infact on a started system you'd want to render each of them on thier own and composite later.

now a rough estimate of how long this would take on even a simple P4-2.0ghz | 256mb PC1800 | GeForceFX 5200Go!
1024x768x32bpp | DoF | Advanced Lighting | Radiosity | -2 +2 Alaising

would be around 3hr's for the background room, another hr for the depth cue for the room, another 4hrs for the gecko and maybe 2hrs for the box. (if the carpet is done using spline array particles then could even be upto 5hrs)

on that expensive machine, i could render the entire scene layers at the same time in under 25minutes ... could even use Shakes builtin Max Composition to build the image as each component is rendered.

i know this as i've done similar scenes before, so the overall difference is around 8.30hrs rendering time.
rather than waiting half the day for something, i can go off and make and play something for a little while or code something and et voila it's done.

futher more the fact i model on one machine and specifically use another just for rendering allows me to actually keep modelling and prototyping as the scene is rendering. which is far more productive.

i mean jesus, don't any of you ever care about getting work done on time? Hell i do this even for DarkBASIC Pro and Visual C++; because compiles can take upto an hr on standard machines, on my little beastie that take seconds and i can keep working even when it is doing it's job.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 23:51 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2004 23:55
Raven- why on earth would you use corsair pc3200 DDR for that machine? Surely you would get some ECC registered Dimms that were syncronis with your FSB.

"Froggerman, whats the largest scene you've ever rendered?

Cinematics Generally need to be rendered out at 6200x1600x128bpp (CYR) ... ontop of this your working in the region of 2-600million polygons per scene, including Depth of Field ; Global Illumination ; Raytracing ; -8 to +4 Aliasing (24x) ; Motion Blur"

Wow, talk about foolish. More polygons and more maths only equals more ram usage up to a certain point. After that your processors cache is exausted and it just can't keep up.
-8 +4 anti-aiasing? You dont even know what your talking about. You don't undersample Anti aliasing settings unless you want some funky results. Also, brazil wont even let you pop the samples down that low if you wanted too.

Oh and nobody renders animations at that resolution for film or any other purposes. Big numbers dont equal better.

"i mean jesus, don't any of you ever care about getting work done on time? "

This coming from the guy that in 5 years hasn't released a single demo or game.

way to be a dumbass

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:00
NTSC standard framrate is 24 FPS. PAL is 25 FPS (in the UK anyway)

Anyone who has seen pretty much any "Special Effects" documentry on a DVD extra will know what radiosity is.

What I really want to know is how your computer can render more than 20 times faster than Pixar's computers.

And..... don't try and shrug it off with a snide remark: No one in the film industry uses global illumination. The only example I know is Fight Club's "Microsoft Galaxy" which, lasting about 10 seconds took about 8 weeks to render.

Stop lieing Raven.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:02
Quote: "Quote: "Problem is, that's for Itanium CPUs only."

x86-32, PPC 32/64, Alpha 32/64 out of the box...
yeah so your right now x86-64; man you would need like oh i dunno a Service Pack with a processor upgrade or something to include support for this processor.

On a 3year old Operating System, and from Microsoft who are infamous for never releasing updates for thier software.
Man you really caught me out there <_<"

I mean, really, can you read?

"AMD64 processors cannot run Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for Intel Itanium processors. The differences in architecture between the two processors prevent each from running Windows XP compiled for the other one."
Taken from the MS site.
And no, there's no Windows XP 64-bit Edition for Opteron yet.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:07
Actually NTSC framerate is 29.97 Hz (59.94 fields per second)

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:13 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 00:14
Heres a little example i quickly cooked up of what happens when you undersample anti aliasing settings.
The first image in the rar is at -4 +4 and took 7 minutes 57 seconds to render.

The second image is sampled at +1 +4 and took 5 minutes 3 seconds

As you can clearly see the sampling quality is better in the second image and the render was faster.

http://www.shellshockede.com/sampling.rar

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:21
From Pixar.com:

Quote: "Each frame represents 1/24 of a second of screen time and takes about six hours to render, although some frames have taken as long as ninety hours."

The important parts are "24" and "hours".

Bear in mind these times are on Pixar's huge computer, I don't know it's specs but it is huge.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:27
Yeah, movies are at 24 frames/second

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:55
why didnt raven buy an SGI suite with that amount of cash? because his hand is in his pants scrambling around for that little thing in there.
youll find it one day mate. keep looking.

btw

http://www.sgi.com/
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:05 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 01:05
Erm, surely the intelligent way to answer some such skepticism would be actually detail this super machine. Although a few renders, or digital cam snaps might quash the remaining doubt. (although I still haven't got my email regardung your hush hush work )

Although (damn indi beat me , for that 50K you could have setup a fairly neat render farm.

Kevin Picone
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:06 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 01:11
for one who says i use Brazil?
i've not used Brazil in almost a year

-8 +4 samples is -8 Grid with 4 Samples per Grid Space... this samples the EXTERNAL on what is already rendered with the internal.

this doesn't produce freaky results, this is how you blend what your rendering with what you've already rendered so that you don't get that nasty Renderbucket effect. You also need to up the light blend depth from 24 to 32 to make sure that it has a much smoother blend across a surface.

I mean geez how the hell long have you been doing 3D and you still don't know this?!

and Chris your the one giving me the best laugh here,
Everyone uses Radiosity but not Global Illumination ... LMFAO at some point you might actually come to realise they're the same bloody thing.

as for the frame rate...
Film 24 - PAL 25 - NTSC 30

you always export to the largest format first then allow your compositor to handle the frame blur to compress the frames into the appropriot formats for the needs.

and i know what Pixar render out to, and i know they're machine is close to 4,000x as powerful as mine. But they're also working on a FAR FAR larger scale... your talking around 30 render passes per frames with upto 32 layers and realtime composition utilising Maya.

not to mention Renderman 10.0.3 is much slower than Messiah:Render, as the materials being used are shaders being calculated and rendered on the fly.

Not to mention they're polygons counts hit the HUNDREDS of BILLIONS not millions like mine.
Most of my work is purely for TV, suchas adverts like Samsung's Flatpanel Digitall and such...

my definition only has to be that for a 16:4 Widescreen Television ^_^ so the pixel definition can be sacrified a little.

thank god my 10,000 post is comming up becuase you people are beginning to get really pathetic now; what is it, you jelious that someone might actually have the kit to actually get on with his job like a professional?

seriously need to all grow up for once, i mean really what the hell does it matter to any of you what i have and don't have?

[edit]
forgot about the WinXP64 comment... 64bit isn't purely for Itainium processors, it's for ALPHA and PPC processors out of the box.
And there is a Service Pack which not only comes with new x86-64 processors.

And i don't remember saying SPECIFICALLY Athlon64 or Opeteron processors... i made careful note to say x86-64, because the AMD 64bit processors have a few little things which are going to be in Windows Nx and are already supported by a few Linux builds.

... ... ...

and as for SGI, i'd love one... problem is compatibility. I'd need more than one for it to be worth it, as they run on Irix based Operating Systems which Windows isn't a fan of.
And they're built to spec, you fiddle around inside updating things and they complain; i know what i'm doing with a standard IBM Compatible if anything goes wrong.

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:10 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 01:15
Quote: "seriously need to all grow up for once, i mean really what the hell does it matter to any of you what i have and don't have?"

Is it me or has it gotten colder in here?

Hang on a mo! 10,000 posts!? Have I missed something? What's so special about 10,000 posts? Are you leaving?

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:17 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 01:18
It matters because you don't have it but you say you do.

You actually go the other way - render at 24 FPS and use a different program to get the extra frames. That's why Pixar.com says they render to 24 FPS but you can also get thier films on Video. It would take too long to render the extra frames.

Global illumination and radiosity are not the same thing. Radiosity is the reflectiveness of any object and how it effects what everything around it looks when it moves/ changes/ disappears. This is not rendered globally. There is no need to ray-trace all the way across a hall when a chair moves in the corner. The animator will decide upon the area and which other objects are effected.

The bottom line is, you cannot keep making these ridiculous claims with no proof. Stop it.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:26
Quote: " Not to mention they're polygons counts hit the HUNDREDS of BILLIONS not millions like mine."

So your suggesting, these are real polygons, and not 'hypothetical polygons' aka dust jacket jargon.

Surely you an supply some 'links' showing/talking about such performance rates, and what uses this level. I wonder How many terabytes of memory these super systems have ?

Quote: " Most of my work is purely for TV, suchas adverts like Samsung's Flatpanel Digitall and such..."

It's these types of continuous claims that only proves to discredit your input here. So unless your willing to provide upfront proof for whatever claims/work achievements your expressing here, people will call you upon it.

Kevin Picone
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:27
Yawn.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:38
Quote: "And i don't remember saying SPECIFICALLY Athlon64 or Opeteron processors"

Quote: "Quad Opteron 2.8ghz OC 3.0ghz on a liquid cooling system w|3gb onboard ram + 12gb PCI Expanded Ram and 2x QuadroFX 2000 AAGP + PCI
running on AMD 864 Chipset board."

Quote: "forgot about the WinXP64 comment... 64bit isn't purely for Itainium processors, it's for ALPHA and PPC processors out of the box.
And there is a Service Pack which not only comes with new x86-64 processors."

Yeah, I guess that's ok as long as you don't expect anybody to believe it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:52 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 01:53
most render farms are roughly what my system is, except you have stacks of 24 of them to a 5ft row ... most tend to have around 5-10 of these stacks.

Quote: "Global illumination and radiosity are not the same thing. Radiosity is the reflectiveness of any object and how it effects what everything around it looks when it moves/ changes/ disappears. This is not rendered globally. There is no need to ray-trace all the way across a hall when a chair moves in the corner. The animator will decide upon the area and which other objects are effected."

hahaa... yeah nice try, now try again. It's about light absorbition or "Photonic" / "Photometric" lighting models.
Radiosity and Global Illumination are BOTH done on a global scale.

As it alters the light cast during it's travels and the depth determins the number of bounces it has.

the maths behind them is effectively given of a number or proportionate lighting across a surface with a given property of becoming a light source itself from the lumination of the surface.

in laymans terms so you can understand, the moon at night reflects the run because of it's bright grey-blue hue of the dust on the surface of the moon. THAT is a Radiosity Object, that Globally Illuminates anything within it's path.

the word Radiosity itself means almost quite literally "Eminatting Light Source"

do your god damn homework kid

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 02:21
Quote: "most render farms are roughly what my system is"

The difference being most render farms and your $50,000 system is render farms actually exist.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 02:22

Good point.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 02:34
look ma Ive locked this post, aint it pretty!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:38:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:38:04