Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Community Challenge: Asteroids [Voting]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2024 16:59 Edited at: 22nd May 2024 07:09
In another thread badkneecap sought a challenge which was set to create an Asteroids-based game by May 19th with the following submissions entered:

Ando: Download (with Source)

badkneecap: DL w/ Source (prototype)

Phaelax: Play Online

VN: Online (+ DL)

Ando prepared some graphics for the Challenge and posted HERE (which i obviously took advantage of) and invite you all to do the same where everyone should produce some kinda asteroids game if they haven't yet

Please play each of our efforts and help us determine a Winner and feel free to offer feedback where i expect some of us will continue to improve our entries.

Voting Deadline: Sunday May 26th @ 2359 PST.

Thanks for playing!

Attachments

Login to view attachments

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2024 17:19
Quote: "Ando prepared some graphics for the Challenge and posted HERE (which i obviously took advantage of) and invite you all to do the same where everyone should produce some kinda asteroids game if they haven't yet"

As did I if anyone wanted high-res graphics https://opengameart.org/content/asteroids

I'll vote tonight after I have a chance to download badkneecap
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2024 20:40 Edited at: 22nd May 2024 07:21
While 'cap's has a lot of potential to build on the classic, i like the high-res graphics and controls in Phaelax' submission and the twist in Ando's in chipping away at the Motheroid + the explosions. That said, my vote:

somethings that threw me off in both was the one-shot-at-a-time notion and their not wrapping around. together it can make for a strategic element but just didn't feel being guided into that approach.

regardless, both were fun and have potential for even more so please do continue work on them?

and, since we're sharing media, here's the SFX from mine (created in SFXR). No Rights Reserved

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 02:24
Ando: A different approach by letting the user somewhat control how many asteroids they have to face, although I find myself hitting it by accident way too often! And your saucer was neat looking. Coolest intro music. I did find the controls a bit weird, the turning was just way too slow for me.
VN: Another twist on the game, made scoring more difficult by requiring you to collect fragments, which can easily make you lose sight of what you're flying into. But the saucer seemingly spawns right on top of me almost every time.
badkneecap: I like the graphics, though a larger sprite might help avoid the the glow effect from making everything look like a square. I'd like the speed and maneuverability but with no speed cap you still need to be careful as you can fly out of control very fast. But with no score or death I'd like to see it finished.

I think I'll have to give my vote to VN based on overall completeness.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 06:03
I found the online version to be slower to rotate. Maybe due to constant torque being applied - AngularDamping + lag might make the torque intermittent?

I thought they were all fun in their own way.
I have to vote for VN. Felt more complete and polished.
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 07:11 Edited at: 22nd May 2024 07:29
Quote: "I found the online version to be slower to rotate. "

ah, the exe plays so much better than the HTML version. sorry i didn't check for that and i've since taken the HTML version offline where it doesn't properly represent the game.

based on the newly-revealed FUN inside, i'm voting for Andoroids™
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 09:46
LOL... I hope that's not going to be a thing.(insert face palm emoji)

So a lot of people cruise around on the forum, why not give it a try and have a vote.
Here is some incentive... VN is going to win if you don't!!! (although VN might still win anyway)
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 10:10
So I was terrible at them all...that said VN's entry gets my vote - completeness being the main deciding factor. Had the other entries been more complete it would have been a difficult choice indeed. I might not have otherwise put my vote in so early.
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 13:41
I tried ando's again, desktop version. Controls are better. I didn't get as far this time because I kept respawning on top of an asteroid and died like 4x in a row and that happened a few times.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 19:35 Edited at: 22nd May 2024 19:39
Quote: "VN is going to win if you don't"

i've already won in being a part of it, seeing others in the arena, and folks playing our little games

default wins are worse that losing
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 21:52 Edited at: 22nd May 2024 21:53
I luv glowy so badkneecap''s got my vote
Bugga! i'm too late
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 21:56
i'm sure ur late for SOMETHING but not for voting
Quote: "Voting Deadline: Sunday May 26th @ 2359 PST."
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2024 22:10
VN, looking at your games on itch I see you have been pumping out creations and all presented in a professional way.
Others could learn a thing or two.

Phaelax, erm.. yes that respawn death problem was on my "to do" list. I had time to add it at the end but just forgot.
I'll add it soon along with a few other things so it "appears" to be a little more professional.

Since I've been getting in to 2D lately I would like to try some 2D game ideas I've had for a while. Mini games for pc and android.

Cheers.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2024 07:34
After playing all 4 of the developer challenge's entries here are some considerations:

Entry #1 (Ando): The ability to reverse-thrust is a great feature. This gives the user increased precision in controlling the direction and speed of the ship.
Entry #2 (badkneecap): I really like the neon-like glowing graphics effect.
Entry #3 (Phaelax): the graphics are superb, especially the rotating rocks and the debris/fragments in the explosions. I also like the gameplay mechanics of the colliding rocks that rebound and change direction.
Entry #4 (VN): I really like the well-placed audio, each appropriate for specific game events. I also like the innovative design of mining the fading remnants of destroyed rocks for extra points, and the online (or local) high score table.

After giving it some more thought and reflection, I am submitting my vote for entry #3 (Phaelax's version).

I love that instant laser beam! And the way the rocks glow red when they absorb a hit, and the way that they collide and rotate. I also like the visual effect of the flying debris when either a rock or the ship gets hit. And the small graphical details like the ambient light on the ship when the laser shoots. I like the mechanical feature of the rocks colliding and changing direction. That adds a unique spin (no pun intended) / feature to the game.

I enjoyed playing each one of the entries. It would be neat to see (and participate in) more of these challenges in the future. Thanks for submitting the entries, each one was fun to test and review!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2024 07:58 Edited at: 23rd May 2024 07:59
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2024 04:46 Edited at: 27th May 2024 04:56
modified source for Haulin' Asteroids made available @ https://virtual-nomad.itch.io/haulin-asteroids
- added local high scores/removed global (@ando, take a look at it where it converts 20 scores to a single string and a simple example of how to add similar to yours).

nothing amazing inside but it's 1 way to go about it.

btw, the AddComma() function found somewhere on the forum but i think it's suspect. if anyone sees a flaw lemme know where sometimes it returns, say, 15,001 when the score is 1500? again, sometimes so it may be something else that i'm doing wrong.

otherwise, enjoy.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2024 05:12
I ran addCommas through thousands of iterations and not once got anything unexpected. I think the issue may lie in the value you're passing
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2024 08:29 Edited at: 27th May 2024 08:49
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Votes:
VN: Ando
Phaelax: VN
Ando: VN
James H: VN
Blink0K: BKC
GemGames: Phaelax

good fun, guys; both coding the challenge alongside you and playing the entries.

if any of us continue working on them, please let us know in this thread?

ando wrote: "Since I've been getting in to 2D lately I would like to try some 2D game ideas I've had for a while. Mini games for pc and android."

consider the OlyGames Game Jam which "officially" starts in ~3 weeks while you're welcome to start mocking things up "whenever" for the most part, i expect submissions to essentially be small collections of minigames (that's my plan for my submission, anyway).
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2024 11:34
Congrats VN!
Some of the Badges seem to require a tally number on them.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2024 14:53
Quote: "if any of us continue working on them, please let us know in this thread?"

I'll keep working on it, when I have time. My kid and I came up with some new ideas to add.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-14 23:18:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-14 23:18:05