Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / AGKRepo Guide

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 09:05 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2024 09:11
How many of you would be interested in building your own Windows version of AppGameKit Studio if I were to produce a guide? Obviously it would take a lot of effort on my part to create the guide and I would only want to do it if there is real demand for it and ideally from people who want to add to the repo.

I know it can be daunting delving into C++, C and Android Studio and AGKStudio is huge project supporting multiple platforms which makes it even complicated.

If we can get more users involved with building the Repo and helping to address issues and maybe even adding new features then the future of AppGameKit may be more certain.

We can then share ideas and help each other to make AppGameKit better, we can learn from each other on how the AppGameKit Repo works. I've learnt a lot in the last 7 months but I've only just touched the surface.
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
+1 from me. I've been considering delving into the repo at some point, so I'd be interested.
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 17:00
+1 from me, too. I am specially interested in the compiling the mac version, since i develop my games on a macbook.
--
Mac
Lead Programmer
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 17:36
I would have thought the mac process would be similar to the windows version so if you can master that then the mac version may be doable
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 17:37 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2024 17:39
+1 here, Zax. and as noob friendly as possible, please
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 17:41
I'll add all necessary links for the software and add screen shots where appropriate.

agkcoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 17:54
+1

Would be awesome!
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 18:31
If you want to build the Repo you need to have a drive 'D' as the Repo is setup to use this drive, in theory it should work on any drive but when I tried it it failed and as I had a drive 'D' I didn't investigate any further, probably due to a fixed path in the build process.
TheWanted
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 18:49 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2024 18:50
Macro vars are very handy in visual studio. That way no hard coding of paths is necessary
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 18:56
FWIW, i'm most interested in the steps required to add a command to agk, followed by fixing existing ones.

can you share more of the idea posed here? would it be more of an expansion of the steps @ the repo or something else?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 20:06 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2024 20:08
The command side is not easy as any command added has to work on all platforms unless it's a platform specific command. I've only experimented with the commands so far. Don't expect to build the Repo and just add a command. Once users can build the repo they may then try to understand how it all works. If someone with as much knowledge about AppGameKit as you have VN can build the Repo you have a far better chance of fixing command issues or adding new commands than I do.

That's why I think this guide could be useful, if various users that are using windows, mac etc and have knowledge of AppGameKit, Android, ios etc can then work together then the understanding of the Repo will be greater.

The first step is to build the Repo which is what I hope the guide will do.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 20:51
+1 from me
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2024 21:13 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2024 05:39
Quote: "The first step is to build the Repo"

absolutely. and thanks for the offer to open the door wider for us.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2024 01:39
Zaxxan wrote: "If we can get more users involved with building the Repo and helping to address issues and maybe even adding new features then the future of AppGameKit may be more certain."

That sounds really good. When you mention issues, do you mean issues with the existing AppGameKit Studio IDE, or issues with the runtime AppGameKit functions themselves?

What types of new features were you considering? Do you mean new editing features for the IDE, or more like new AppGameKit commands and enhancing existing commands? Or possibly both?

I am not a professional programmer or anything like that, but I am potentially interested in this, assuming that I can be of help. Sounds intriguing!
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2024 01:52
This certainly sounds great to me. My only problem is that I cannot guarantee that I will have much spare time to help out with it - but would love to if I can.

I definitely think it would be better if we worked on fixing a few things first before adding new commands but I suppose there is no reason why both can't happen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:18:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:18:42