Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What's the worst thing you ever bought?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you ever bought something, and wished you hadn't? I usually take things back, and give them some excuse! Here are my worst ever buys.....

The Great Space Race...Crappy Amiga Game!
Bottom Live 3...This was a big letdown but Richie and Eddy are back in form now.
Equilibrium...No comment!
Hulk....Got it half price but still wasn't worth it!
Orbital (In Sides)..CD..I bought it twice because they changed the album cover! They put an Extra track on the new version, but for £13 I want more than 1 new track! I took it back, but I kept the version with the extra track! So I took my old version back in the new sleeve! That'll teach 'em!
Night Of The Living Dead..DVD..I bought it partly for a music track that was supposed to be in the Extras, but they took the music track out of my version for some reason, even though it is an original DVD! Ok it was a cheaper version of the DVD, but why take out the music track?
Elite Frontiers...A big letdown!

So what are your worst buys?

Pincho.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"So I took my old version back in the new sleeve"

lmao

yoshi's story for the n64. anyone who's played yoshi's island on the SNES knows that it was a kickass game. yoshi's story was quite possibly the biggest waste of $50 i've ever made. they dumbed it down, made it super easy, and you have to beat 6 levels to beat the game. wooooooooooooooooooooow

game boy pocket. the system itself is great, but just the timing i bought it. i bought it right when the GBC came out, and 2 months later it was almost impossible to find games that weren't GBC-only. by now i can only find games for it at funcoland.

i don't buy much, and when i do buy something, i usually make sure i want it 100% before i buy it, so i rarely get let down

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB crucial DDR | winXP pro | DBP P5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 20:09
Black Hawk Down was a good single-player but needed too many people for the multi-player.
Dead To Rights would have been good except for the controls.
Spy Hunter - Pretty poor conversion and way too hard.

The place for all great plug-ins
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 20:18
Mountain Bike from JJB sports. Rusted in under 8 weeks, they refused to repair or replace, even before the guy who made the decision had seen it. They also refused to talk to Trading Standards, even after I had the components analysed by a metallurgist and found them to be 5 times below standard.

Took them to court, ended up with a hell of a lot more cash in my pocket than I started with - they didn't even turn up to court.

No, this is not libelous, I went to court and the judge ruled in my favour.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm...

Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain for PC. You can't skip cutscenes and despite is age in comparison to my computer, it runs terribly! Gr.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 20:39
Bought a new BMX bike from Sport Check...
was fine till the stupid chain ripped in half on one of the jumps on impact. A few days later when I got the new chain, the damn tire exploded when I skitted. Then I ripped the brakes out when I tried braking on a rather jagged rock...

And then 2 weeks later it got stolen...
What a waste of a 100$. I could have finally bought Neverwinter nights.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:03
Lord of the Rings - Not the good version, the other version. It was horrible! Heck, it wouldnt even run on my PC! The garbage man probably had more fun with it than I did

Money Down the Drain: $40

Street Racer - A horrible split screen racer for the PSX. Just horrible! HORRIBLE I SAY!!! Never buy from the discount section!

Money Down the Drain: $20

Final Fantasy XI - Cant install it. My mom wont let me borrow her credit card, and I'll be losing more money than this entire game is worth if I sign up. Chances are it wouldnt run at a decent speed on my computer anyway, and then I would need broadband to fully enjoy it! I can barely play UT2003 without jumping around every 2 seconds, what makes this seem resonable?

Money Down the Drain: $50 (+$120 More Yearly for Subscription Fee if I were to play it and +$360 Yearly if I were to get broadband along with it)

XBox Live Starter Kit - No Broadband, couldnt split my parents connection.

Money Down the Drain: $35

Total Money Down the Drain: $145 (+$480 if I were to sign up for FFXI and Broadband )

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:15
a pc '_' and darkbasic, gawd Id have a lot more money in the bank doing multimedia than goofing around here
Tasik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 02:42
Yeah I got Super Man 64

There will always be some one a little bit faster, a little bit smarter, a little bit stronger, that some one is me =)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 03:11
Magic & Mayhem: The Art of Magic.

And a few books I don't even remember now because I've burned them out of my head.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 03:29
My Graphire2. Because 2 months later Graphire3 came out.

People? I hate people. People are stupid.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 04:20
Quote: "What a waste of a 100$. I could have finally bought Neverwinter nights."

what caliber of mountain bike did you expect for $100 - lmao

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply! http://www.mod2software.com
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 05:34
My worst buy was my old Kenwood hifi. It cost be £450 from my own pocket and my christmas money, but the shop I bought it from started their january sales from the 4th, so the very next day they dropped the price to £195 cos a new model came out. Absolute shocking piss take, and you mark my words I took that big bastard back!

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 05:35
The Cell on DVD

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 05:55 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 05:56
biggest waste of money for me is:
Ps2 - back when it came out the thing just dont work any more if I put a ps2 game in it it tells me to put a ps2 game in it.

Truespace 6.6 big waste

Phantasy star online ep1&2 on the xbox it sucks in 480p blurry and no cheating
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 07:15
One time I was at a yard sale, trying to sell my Lawnmower, chainsaw, and a log splitter. This mexicali-rolls comes up to me and asks if I'll trade my lawnmower for his chevy..."sure i thought" as i handed him my keys, and he handed me his...
Next god damned thing I know, I am ridin' around in a cloud of blue smoke and the little piss-ant-mexicalis are driving off with my lawnmower. They all piled in (12 of 'em) and were crusin down the street, trying to get away but the cattlerustler was am too smart for em. I jumped outta the smoke-machine, cut thru a few back yards and waited at the end of the block for those bastards. As I knelt behind a tree my good buddy mike drove up in his rig (18 wheeler). He asked me "Just what in the hell I was doin' son?". After i told him the story, he proceeded to drive up and down the streets, crushing mexcalis left and right!

Well that's my story for the day
might make a funny game (or not)
peace
RUST

-RUST-

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 07:18
if you are thinking: "Cattle has had too many 's, you'd be correct, there, son!"

-RUST-

JeKu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 07:30
Quote: "Chances are it wouldnt run at a decent speed on my computer anyway, and then I would need broadband to fully enjoy it!"

Why buy it then?

Quote: "XBox Live Starter Kit - No Broadband, couldnt split my parents connection."

Again, the Kit says all over it that it requires broadband.

For me, I bought into the hype for Enter the Matrix (Xbox) and preordered it a good 3 months early. I traded it into EB like a week later hehehe. Also, I kinda regret buying Shenmue II for the Xbox.

- JeKu

-- http://www.automatongames.com --
-- http://www.jeku.com --
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 08:01
Shogun Total War...$5, i was told it would be a great game...played it for 2 days...

Warcraft 2 Battle net...AWSOME game (had it before), stupid people ripped me off, it said that i would get ALL 3 CDs...so i paid the extra $5, what i got was Battle Net CD and the Stratigy guide....bah...morons...

Darkbasic...

j/k, DB's probbibly the greatest investment ever....now to get PRo...

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 15:47
Quote: "Quote: "XBox Live Starter Kit - No Broadband, couldnt split my parents connection."

Again, the Kit says all over it that it requires broadband."

I was well aware of that. My mom was planning to split her connection wirelessly. But it wouldnt work, because we have a Microwave, and that screwed up the wireless's tranmissions or whatnot.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 16:02
Well i didn't buy this (well i kinda did)...
I bought XIII for the PC, and a few weeks later, my mom bought me the PS2 version and my aunt bought me the XBOX version..
Talk about mis coardanation

this one pissed me off
Devil may cry 2, what a waste a money that pile of sh*t was.

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 16:41
Quest 64 - $50 - First RPG for the N64 and is was CRAP!!! I can not express how bad this game is. Back then I was a true, blue nintendo fanboy, I wouldn't even look at another system. After one week with that game I returned it as defective, went to Funcoland, and bought a used PS1 and FFVII.

Dragon Ball: Saga of Goku DVD - $5 - Found it in the discout bin at Wal-Mart, now, I love the DB mangas but this is bad! First off it's edited, horrably. Secondly there's no Japanese subtitles, just realy, REALY bad dubbing, worst off none of these faws were listed on thew box, I should have known I'ld get crap for $5, but it has 13 episodes and I thought I was getting a deal.

Gutar - $100 - Saw it a pawn shop, didn't need it, don't even know how to play, was low on cash, though "what the hell". I couldn't buy the amplifier, so I got a used electeric gutar (that I can't play) with not only out of tune but the strings in the wrong order (ex: 1st string in the 3rd strings spots). Right now I'm trying to diside if I want to buy the amplifier next pay check and learn how to play (even though I'm more suited to drums or keyboard, which I can play either) or sell it on Ebay. Maybe I'll smash it against the floor and say that it was from one of Metallica's concerts.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
Dsarchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 17:14
CSHOP lol. Bought it, made levels never could include them into DBP. Sorry but its true.

"Is it really good is a hoover sucks?"
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:05
Quote: "what caliber of mountain bike did you expect for $100 - lmao
"

Tell me about it
Even though it was a BMX not a mountain bike, it was really cheap. Cheap as in not expensive and cheap as in crap. Real crap. The bolts were all lose when I bought it, I was once pumping my way up a hill when the front weel just "came" of. Then the chain CONSTANTLY slipped of during jumps. Once when it happened I ran my knee into the handle bar and couldnt walk properly for 2 days. Screw bikes, I'll just stay at home with my computer.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 20:23
Ummm....

1. Atari Jaguar. Nuff said...
2. The original Turok on the N64 (day of release) for £70. Naff game.
3. The top Voodoo3 card at the time (cost a lot), just before Voodoo5 cards came out (was a bit drunk at the time)
4. The top Voodoo5 card at the time (cost more), just before the first GForce256 cards came out (was hungover at the time)
5. Buying a top of the range sound card (at the time) just because the person on the phone sounded quite fit, and looking a little down her nose at me when I ordered the cheapest sound card going for my third (ie. throwaway) PC.... I was young once...
6. Buying a top of the range modem, just before getting broadband (doh)
7. Buying an expensive subwoofer, then realising it wouldn't work with my hi-fi. Then forgetting to take it back, and even which store it was from (I was a little dizzy in those days). It is now an expensive little table. No.8 could have been the hi-fi I almost bought to go with the subwoofer, even though my original hi-fi cost £1000. Didn't quite lose my mind there though. Sigh...
8. My house... I was like the god of money before that bast**d bled me dry... then again, good old mega-profit for London area
9. Kinda picky I know, but my Subaru Impreza Turbo. I love it to bits, but it ain't a Supra. I seriously love those cars, but my work only gives car allowance for 4 door cars.
10. The sequel to Elite on the PC. God that was rubbish. Going from my favourite ever game (Elite on the Spectrum 128), to this pile of junk was really really upsetting. All I remember thinking is there's only so much you should do with inertia. And then to fix that they had the semi-autoaim thingy option. Which kind of defeated the point. Crap.

Hey, I made 10! And I only mentioned 1 N64 game (or the now doorstop machine itself even), and didn't even whine about bloody curtains and stuff!

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 20:32
Quote: "But it wouldnt work, because we have a Microwave, and that screwed up the wireless's tranmissions or whatnot"

Really? Is it like right next to the Microwave or something? I have a Microwave and it causes no problems with my wireless point on my PC's. Infact I have a wireless access point downstairs, along with a wireless TV transmitter near it (to transmit to a receiver upstairs), plus several wireless headsets in various parts of the house. Most of the time all of them are on at once (including the Microwave at times), and I've had no problems.

Cheers

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 20:56 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 20:57
Quote: "The original Turok on the N64 "
Let me guess, couldn't get used to the controls?
Quote: "And I only mentioned 1 N64 game (or the now doorstop machine itself even)"
I still like the old N64, once in a while I feel the like a good console FPS and Perfect Dark's multiplayer never lets me down.

By the, I just remembered another one, Turok : Evolution, worst one yet, it all went downhill after 2.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 21:25
SiS 6236 AGP 4mb Graphics Card ... i don't think you'll EVER hear of a single owner of that card praising it.

i have a few other things but it'd just errupt this thread into a flamewar and quite frankly can't be arsed to bother.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "One time I was at a yard sale, trying to sell my Lawnmower, chainsaw, and a log splitter. This mexicali-rolls comes up to me and asks if I'll trade my lawnmower for his chevy..."sure i thought" as i handed him my keys, and he handed me his...
Next god damned thing I know, I am ridin' around in a cloud of blue smoke and the little piss-ant-mexicalis are driving off with my lawnmower. They all piled in (12 of 'em) and were crusin down the street, trying to get away but the cattlerustler was am too smart for em. I jumped outta the smoke-machine, cut thru a few back yards and waited at the end of the block for those bastards. As I knelt behind a tree my good buddy mike drove up in his rig (18 wheeler). He asked me "Just what in the hell I was doin' son?". After i told him the story, he proceeded to drive up and down the streets, crushing mexcalis left and right!"

Hahaha, cattlerustler that just made my day.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Battlecruiser millenium - looked like a good game because of all the stuff you can do planet based battles/space based ect... but it turned out that the game was super crappy and the graphics sucked ass and i think im gonna sue them for false advertising it said on the box "ground breaking terrian generation" the terrain generation sucks ass! although the terrain on planets is vast about the size of the whole world in compairison or ect...and i could flame on but won't

alien vs. preditor - the store giped me even though it was 10usd the game didnt work.

gunman - fun game using the half life engine but in compairison sucked major balls

last but not least

swat3 - game was fun for about a day with the nice little command menu's ect...but in a days time or so it got old and boring plus the gfx sucked too...

oh yeah one more thing

aiwa eass 3x 48sec skip protection cd-player the bass on that thing sucks i'll stick with sony thank you very much.

I change my Signature every two weeks....or...so...
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 02:26
I noticed most people are only listing games...didn't you ever buy a bag of chips that you were pissed with?

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 03:15
Quote: "didn't you ever buy a bag of chips that you were pissed with?"

There is a chinese takeaway near me run by philipinos and the chips they sell have the consistancy of cake.

I still ate them

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 03:22 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 03:24
"I have a Microwave and it causes no problems with my wireless point on my PC's"

odd. we've got a 2.4GHz wireless TV signal transmitter and the microwave makes it fuzzy as hell when it's running. we also have a 2.4GHz (piece of crap) Siemens wireless phone system that makes the TV signal go "tick tick tick" like a clock, hehe. you're lucky i guess.

"i have a few other things"

i told you not to go for the 8GHz processor when the 12GHz was coming out the next week! geez..

"I noticed most people are only listing games"

probably because most people here are gamers.

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB crucial DDR | winXP pro | DBP P5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
predicted patch DBP will actually be useful: P18
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 03:27 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 03:28
Worst game ever bought: MAXX or was it MAX, it's a warfare game.

I played it once, it got lost somewhere, VERY boring game!

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 04:57
This body.

They promised a free back-pack and high metabolism, the back-pack was kinda cool, but I'm sick of eating, and sleeping and using the bathroom. Although it's better than the old 1.56z metabolism one that was just too greasy and fat.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 07:22 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 07:23
My computer. $1600 for a 1ghz, 128mb RAM system with a GeForce 2 MX video card. Wait-- it's a TNT2! Yeah, it wasn't enough for Circut City to rip me off, they stole my video card and replaced it with a cheaper one-- or SOMEONE did. The CD and DVD drives seemed nice for a bit until the DVD drive fell apart. Inbuilt audio+modem card was total crap. Speakers are barely alive today. Monitor was a decent tube monitor. Generally speaking, a godawful deal. That was in 2001.

Luckily I've gotten smart and I've bought all my upgrades discount, minimum price, with a lot of research gone into it first. So now it's a 1ghz/384mb RAM/ATI Radeon 9500 Pro/SB Live! 5.1 with only about, I reckon, $190 down the tube. Well make that $250 if you count the shrink wrapped Windows 98 SE that I got when Windows ME fell apart on me.

Why the hell do I still use computers when they hate me so?

(Especially when a kid like me who legally can't get a job has to do small jobs for every $10... many years' profit I've put into this machine)

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "My computer. $1600 for a 1ghz, 128mb RAM system with a GeForce 2 MX video card. Wait-- it's a TNT2! Yeah, it wasn't enough for Circut City to rip me off, they stole my video card and replaced it with a cheaper one-- or SOMEONE did. The CD and DVD drives seemed nice for a bit until the DVD drive fell apart. Inbuilt audio+modem card was total crap. Speakers are barely alive today. Monitor was a decent tube monitor. Generally speaking, a godawful deal. That was in 2001."

damn you got ripped i payed about 600usd or so for my 1.7ghz it came with a good motherboard integrated sound/lan/graphics and 256mb's of ddr ram and a cd/dvd drive and all the useual fixin's but the speakers where crap but i upgraded it to a cd/dvd drive with a cd-rw 512mb's more ram 785mb's total 2 monitors (duel vga) gforce4 mx 440 se graphics card and still never even came close to 1600usd....sorrie not to make you feel bad.

i bought from aopen http://www.aopen.com some of there motherboards are crap but they are really cheap! if you find the right deal you can get cheap computers with nice graphic cards (if i where you i'd sell the card and buy a better one useally come with geforce 3/4's if you buy there XP2000+'s ect)

my dad gets all these e-mails from them on there newest stuff and they are cheap! hehe i wonder how they stay in business

I change my Signature every two weeks....or...so...
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 09:08
@Arrow

"By the, I just remembered another one, Turok : Evolution, worst one yet, it all went downhill after 2."

Yeah, I know. Such a let down.

<rant mode>
And the multiplayer was the worst of all!

What console FPS game on the market doesn't have bots? I went to play some multiplayer with my brother and I kept looking for the option in the (Crapply designed)menu and I couldn't find them. Then I realized there were none! It was just Player vs. Player.

Not to mention the horrible play balance issues in the multiplayer weapons. I was playing unlimited ammo with my brother got the plasma cannon(?) which has a secondary function, a homing shot. Well, needless to say the instant he picked it up he started kicking my a$$! All it took was four shots from that thing and you were dead. Four homing shots. And it came with a clip of like 200 with ammo canisters sprinkled all around the level.

And the range on it was ridiculous. Basically if there was a blue circle on the screen it meant that your opponent was in range and any shots you fired would home in on him. You had to be 9/10 the way across the level to lose that circle. And did I mention that even if you ran around a corner or pillar you could still get hit by it? If you were in the open when he pulled the trigger and then went around a corner the shot would travel around the corner and hit you. The cheapness of this is astounding. You blink and think "huh?" the first time it happens. You curse the designers and whoever was stupid enough to implement this the second. I won't even mention the third and fourth. You didn't even see the shot round the corner either. You just died while you were safely behind the cover of a wall. It probably just went right through the wall judging by the lameness of this game.

Oh, and when you respawn there is this big, flashy particle fountain that announces you arrival. Meaning that it wouldn't take much to find you once again, and frag your sorry a$$ with four pulls of the trigger.

Needless to say, we don't play multiplayer with that weapon available unlimited ammo(shudders) or not.

And I expected more than just two multiplayer levels for flying. Two! And one of them sucked! The first one(the one that gets played) is nice. I liked the design of it and wished there were more like it. Its probably one of the few things in this game that are actually worth checking out.

Unfortunately, it is ruined by a crappy selection of weapons and mediocore dog-fighting mechanics. First off, there are only two weapons, one of which you start out with, the machine guns(which are almost never used). And then there is the homing missles. You don't start off with them when you start, but when you respawn you do for some strange reason. They are also two hit kills. One of those suckers eats away half your life. The other just robs you of your diginity because chances are that if you are in range to get hit by one you have about 2 seconds before the second one slams into you.

The range on it isn't too obscene, its just half the friggin level(which can be flown over suprisingly quickly). Not to mention the fact that you start out with 20. Yes, thats right. A two hit kill homing weapon that can span half(and this is probably a underestimate)the level has 20 rounds of ammuntion. WTF? I would have given this thing 5 at the most, but 20?

What could have been a pretty cool dogfighting experience just degenerates down to a homing missle shot out with nobody lasting longer than 45 seconds. Some people die in the first 5. And no that isn't an exaggeration.

Nobody, playtested this thing. Nobody. And I wasted the money that I had saved for two months to buy this crap thing when I could have spent it on something, anything waaaaayy better.

I'm not going to even get into the controls.

Oh, yes and the packaging says that there are 30 weapons. My a$$ there are 30 weapons. There are only thirteen. They counted the secondary(and sometimes tertiary) functions on the weapons. How lame and deceptive is that? Oh, and two of the weapons were bows with the only difference between the two is that one had a two-setting zoom and the other didn't. They both shoot the same ammo(poison, regular, explosive) and both did about the same damage. And those different types of ammo? They were counted as weapons as well. Sickening. Just Sickening.

And that isn't all that is wrong with this game. I've just scratched the surface. I could go on but I'd probably just give myself an aulcer from all of the stress and rage that this...this...thing has given me(I won't even grace it with the name "game").

Argggghhhh!
</rant mode>

Sorry for the long post. I just had to get that out of my system.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 16:23
Quote: "Let me guess, couldn't get used to the controls?"

Nope. Controls were quite straightforward if I remember rightly. Felt right somehow. Really good way of doing an FPS on a console. Is the rest of the game that was rubbish. Massive amounts of fogging, lots of running around with nothing about for ages, and *most* importantly, the fact that enemies only really appeared once you entered the "zone". ie. the 10 feet around them. Then they "beamed" down. Class. So if you knew an enemy was behind a corner you could lob a grenade around to kill it. You safely walked around the corner, then the enemy beamed down and blew you away. What a load of rubbish. Considering the PC had Doom and Quake (to name a couple) lovelyness going about, Turok was a massive dissapointment. Nice graphics, rubbish game.

Cheers

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 17:21
Quote: "Considering the PC had Doom and Quake (to name a couple) lovelyness going about, Turok was a massive dissapointment."
Quake wasn't around for at least another year, Doom is hardly a copition for a true 3D game. In any case the two things I hated about Turok was the massive amount of jumping (only in the first one) and the maze like levels, other than that I thought they were pretty good.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 18:55
Quake must have been out for at least a year on pc before turok on n64. I think I was doing a-levels when turok came out so the timeline is a bit hazy but quake must have been released first.

One of my friends was allways going on about how good turok was so at least one person liked it.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 22:00
pikmen

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 22:28
Dam my friend went crazy on boxing day and bought all 4 of the turoks for N64. >_<

(Turok 1, 2, 3, and Turok Rage wars)

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 00:20
@Arrow

"Quake wasn't around for at least another year"

'Fraid you got your dates confused.

Quake came out on May 31, 1996. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter came out Feb 28, 1997.

"Doom is hardly a copition for a true 3D game."

I agree with you whole hardly there.

" In any case the two things I hated about Turok was the massive amount of jumping (only in the first one)"

Yeah, everybody despised that...cept me.

I don't know, but the jumping never really bothered me. I almost never missed a jump as I would look down and wait till the very last moment when I had almost completely slipped off the edge before I hit the jump button. Usually, made it with room to spare. Still, I never really liked them, just didn't hate them. I always thought they were tedious and I appreciated the fact that the second one almost completely omitted all of the jumping puzzles.

" and the maze like levels,"

Yeah, I really hated those. I could never get past any on the second levels on any of the turok games 1-2. Never played 3 but I'm pretty sure it would be the same.

"other than that I thought they were pretty good."

Yeah, I kinda fell in love with the whole series. It just has a far different feel to it than all the other FPSs that I've played. And some of the most kick a** weapons. Cerebal Bore and RazorWind rocked!

I just wish that Acclaim would get some decent designers and management so this series could finally get a sequal that does it justice.

@Anyone

Has anyone ever played Turok: Rage Wars? Its basically a multiplayer oriented take on the series(like Quake III Arena was to the Quake series) and it isn't that bad. Some nifty weapons and levels to be found in that game as well as some actual improvments on the gameplay.

But I was really wondering if there was anyone here who played the co-op all the way through as there seems to be a bug in my copy that prevents me from winning at monkey tag with another player. Is it just my crappy copy or did the programmers seriously slip up?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 01:20
Quote: "Doom is hardly a copition for a true 3D game"

So? Never said that. If that was the only criteria to what I was saying then Turok should have blown my socks off. Even GL-Quake had nothing on it for 3D and general graphical loveliness. Just was nowhere near as good a shooter as Quake, or even Doom. For me obviously (plus numerous other Doom and Quake playing friends). Other people seemed to quite like it's limitations.

Cheers

MoldRat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 01:23
Dark Basic.
No JK OMG
Probably a nickel. A shiny nickel.

http://dn3k.net/ - 12oz Soda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:16:01