Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is DB better with teamwork or solo?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 20:07

Hi, I got DB classic about a year ago and I've never gotten anything out of it. I've had the idea of getting my friends together for a project so we can somehow learn the code together through tutorials and books and make a game. Is this a good idea or is it better to use DB solo?

I don't get mad, I get stabby.
Brown Owl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 20:18
AnEway, can DB classic use mp3s as music or would I need Pro to do that? I'm not sure if I should buy pro because i would just give up like before. It's 70pounds sterling

Brown Owl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 20:25
I agree. It's 14 weeks pocket money!

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 20:28
There are no versioning tools in DBC or DBP. So, any programming team efforts are going to have use their own system. Sites like source forge are really handy for that. For one of my recent projects, I used Yahoo Groups since this was a handy (and cheap) way to do messages, chat, galleries, and files. It's all web based and is easily accessible for the whole team.

Team building and maintenance is a skill that takes time and practice to develop. Even if you join a team that fails, you can still learn some things. [I wasn't able to help a friend meet the Alienware deadline, but I still learned a lot of stuff as a result of the effort.]
--
TAZ
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:33
As long as the team is reliable, then its fine. If you dont want to talk with the team before you make a change, go solo.

MP3s have a large lisence fee for commerical projects, so unless you want to pay 5k for a commercial game, just use .mid

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:04
or ogg vorbis
totalnewb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 18:47
i think dbpro is £50 now or sum (some!!!joke) thing

This is my area...

Leave it...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 19:54
I prefer solo definately.

To me (and this is my view only) teams often don't get of the ground and are too much work to be worth it.

However if it's a group of friends who you see in the real world (not online) then it could work - things start to go wrong when people all around the globe try to collaborate.

"Nowadays more and more of our imports are coming from abroad" - George Bush

Formerly David89.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 03:16
David T hit a good point. I have a team of... well 2 and-a-half. The half hasn't done much, and hasn't learned any new programming stuff since we were doing Blitz2d. But then we did B3d, and now DarkBASIC. But my good friend and I both spend the night at each other's houses, dink with the game models/textures and dink with the source and trade off when one collapses in front of the Xbox from exhaustion[]. It's a lot more fun if you can find a friend that you know can understand it all, and will be committed to a long-term project.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
diablo fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 06:06
I just need a team of about 40 people that will work for free for 4 years on one game so it can be better than diablo 2. and so i can make 2 billion dollars also, in case i need a bit of spare cash .

me
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 07:01
Hmmm... buy Microsoft while you're at it and do everybody a favor,
Just kidding....
But it could be hard getting people to work for free..............

Juvenile Industries
Ralen
Years of Service
User Offline
It depends on your team. DBP doesn't have anything to whether or not you can develop as a group or not.

They are right, you will have to come up with a way to keep your versions straight, and it will be tough to edit the same source.
You might have to make includes if you plan on having differant people work on the source.

Its all about organization.

Ralen
Ralen
Years of Service
User Offline
oh yeah, you have to pay a licensing fee to use MP3s in your software. Its dumb. I think it is one of those things the creators of the MP3 slipped under the table after the fact.

Ralen
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 01:45
I much prefer solo. If you are in a team you cannot do whatever you want whenever you want. I like to design my own things and make changes all the time. However, if your team is a group of friends that you see all the time, that would be okay, as long as you can all agree on things.

Check out my game, that I did completely solo:
www.freewebs.com/boltsoftware

No one did any modeling, texturing, programming, or anything for me. I had a lot of fun making it too.

Good Luck

Newbie Troan
Years of Service
User Offline
u got a .00001%(real calculations) chance of making better game than diablo II
I think never winter Nights is better

HEY LOOK A CHICKEN
:Bwwwaarrck

-Troan- "Imm Baaackk" Time to Relearn DarkBasic after weeks!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 06:53 Edited at: 9th Jan 2004 06:58
Diablo and Neverwinter Nights cannot be compared! Diablo is the best for action hack'n'slash fast-paced multiplayer pc rpgs, but Neverwinter Nights delivered to the mod and pen/paper role playing community. For the first time you could simulate Dungeons and Dragons on the PC-the DM client was the first of its kind, and the aurora toolset was beautiful for the fact that it was included with the software. But, Neverwinter Nights has serious hardware requirements.

My friends and I like the same types of games. We like action games, and humor games, and when I forced a friend of mine to play Zelda128, he got a gameboy sp and the remake of Zelda3. Game development in a group is easier if you are not trying to make "the best <insert genre here>". That starts flame wars.If you have a group, decide on a genre/concept that everybody likes, and don't try to change the world...yet. Start by making a game that is just plain FUN and SOLID. Our eyes were too big for our stomachs for our first project, and we've since toned it down to having a goal of being just a solid and fun FPS. We may plan to do some crazy sequels, but we're starting with a general idea that we ALL know will be enjoyable.

Juvenile Industries

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:55:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:55:43