Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What would be your funniest game ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 20:32
Well I was just reading that thread : iCamPlay, make game like EyeToy of PSX2
And I remembered something like that :

(As far as I know, this kind of dance mat goes into a joystick port, so it could be used as an input for DarkBASIC)
And we all know there are those guns for PCs.

So I was thinking about a totally crazy game :
It would be a Quake-like, were you have to step on that mat, the ennemies would detect you through the cam, thanks to BalrogSoft and you would shoot them with your PC-gun.
So nobody could that people, who are playing too much with computers don't practise any sports : just imagine yourself running away from that ugly monster.

So there are two questions :
1 ) Would that be possible ?
2 ) What game would you create ? (if you had enough time and knowledge)

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 20:38
1) Probably, why not? Esp. if you use those PC lightguns that can alter their frequency.
2) Funny game? Hmmm, well Quake with a lightgun was one of those talked about subjects years ago... nice... but a dance mat too? Excellent. For top marks though then add some VR specs. Ultra cool. Or an option, like what existed in the original (non-registered) Doom. Basically get 3 computers to connect like a LAN game, but they all work together. You put the monitors next to each other, with the left and right ones angled towards you. Then you basically have a view of the Doom world in a panoramic mode. Nice. Friend tried it in Uni. Is pretty cool.

As to funny game... how about something similar to dancing, but you have emulate someone running to the bogs after 10 pints of scrumpy? That would be funny. Or VR twister (with rude cheat mode)? Nice.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
the dance mat might be possible. I dont know about the PC-Gun

The statement below is true
The statement above is false
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be funny to make a game about StrongBad, or those silly little cartoons on the net like "You Kicked My Dog!" Maybe a You Kicked My Dog Pinball Machine would be good!

Pincho.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 02:42
How about a game where you hang Pincho 200 m of the ground on a pole by a peice of string, and then we the forum members take turns catapulting worthless noobs at him untill one hits and they both fall.

Get coding people.

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 02:52
How about a game where we hang Geri from a tree like a pinyada, then get about 20-30 of us armed with spiked baseball bats and...

Well, you can guess the rest

What am I saying? That doesn't even have to be a computer game.
Let's go get him!!

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Megatron

Lighten up, dude - we're just having some fun here.

@ everyone else

Seriously, I just played a funny game today: Tyrian. It's an overhead scrolling shoot-em-up with some elements that are hysterical.
1. You can get foodships (carrots, pretzels, etc.)
2. You can acquire foodweapons (blast those other ships with hotdogs, oranges, and the almighty banana bomb, and some more!)
3. Read the plot segments every once in a while - (ie stuff like: The Scenic Guide To the Universe: Planet_Name, etc, or the Top 10 Galactic Tunes)

*4. You can also laugh at how well a game it is for 1994, and how it's 2D quality exceeds just about any 2D game made in DB today.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 03:00
Quote: "Lighten up, dude - we're just having some fun here.
"

I was just kidding you know
But hey Easily Confused's idea does sound much better.
*grabs baseball bats*

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 16:30
Quote: "the dance mat might be possible. I dont know about the PC-Gun"

Why not? There was a couple of games that came out with a light gun a year or two back for the PC. Think House of the dead (2/3?) was one of them. Don't think they did very well. Original problem was the different Mhz of monitors. Must have sorted it out for those games though.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 16:40
How accurate were they - the Time Crisis one was very accurate - was it that good ?

The place for all great plug-ins
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "the dance mat might be possible. I dont know about the PC-Gun"
Why not? There was a couple of games that came out with a light gun a year or two back for the PC. Think House of the dead (2/3?) was one of them. Don't think they did very well. Original problem was the different Mhz of monitors. Must have sorted it out for those games though.

Cheers"

Yes I am aware, but he was talking about doing it in darkbasic.

The statement below is true
The statement above is false
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 17:12
Does any one know how those light guns work??!?
That question drove me insane about a year ago.

- The gun can work on any telly (even my telly which was older than the playstation) therefore the telly isn't picking it up.
- The gun can work from an angle therefore it isn't bouncing back into it

All I could think of was that it was like a webcam, and it knew where it was lokking at on the screen from what it saw.

This, however, is one of the single stupidest theories ever.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 18:09
It works something like : it affects the raster beam of the TV. The program can work out where this is (and convert to a 3D coordinate).

The place for all great plug-ins
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 22:59
Hey! I was almost right!!

Quote: "The computer blanks the screen and then paints just the target object white. If the photodiode senses darkness after one vertical retrace signal and then light after the next, the computer assumes that the gun is pointed at the target and scores a hit. "

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 08:42
Does this mean that a light gun game must be programmed for exactly 29.97 or 25 Hz? (NTSC and PAL refresh rates)
--
TAZ
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 14:08
Why does 24fps look good enough for a movie, while games demand at least 40 to look decent? And, what is EyeToy? Enlighten me?

What isn't remembered, never happened.
Memory is merely a record... You just need to rewrite that record.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 16:48
what is EyeToy? Enlighten me?

an eyetoy is like a webcam for the ps2 and you can play various games by moving yor limbs, or anything that moves can play it, possibly a grandfather clock could play it,

back on topic, i think the really funny game would be, where you are a fly and your aim is to drive the people insane forcing them to leave the house, and every level being a new house with a new family, and you have to avoid spider webbs and fly swatters

goto my website for tutorials, demo`s downloads and more
http://www.darkcoder.co.uk
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 17:44
@Divide By Zero

Also, computer screens are at a much higher resolution, whereas (like you said), on a TV motion often blurs between pixels, making it smoother. But on a computer screen it don't.

Also, you head is about a foot away from a comp screen. Ever notcied that TVs look like sh*te when you sit a foot away?

Windows has detected a mouse movement... please restart your computer so changes can take effect.
Athlon 2500+ | Asus A7N8X-X | 512Mb DDR RAM | GeForce 4 MX 440 | 20Gb + 80Gb HDDs
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 22:16
thats because tv`s dont need to have such a sharp image and the pixels are further apart

goto my website for tutorials, demo`s downloads and more
http://www.darkcoder.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:11:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:11:52