Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How do you make flash animations?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 17:38
What do I need?

Here is an example of some flash animation: http://www.homestarrunner.com

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 17:45
A Flash Program like Macromedia Flash MX

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:02
Yea, I'm still o Flash 4

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:28
Any web addresses I can download a free program from?

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:30
its kinda funny when you are handed an assignment that says "use dreamweaver, html, and flash..." then you look up and see this post...
isnt flash another web script language, usually used to make movies for the internet?

Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:32
Well I'm pretty sure flash is used for animations, and besides, if I have to run it as a webpage, who cares?

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:34
Quote: "Well I'm pretty sure flash is used for animations"

and a LOT more

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:43
Quote: "Any web addresses I can download a free program from?
"

Nope, you have to buy it, you can get an old version around 100$ bucks from Macromedia. (Actually I didn't buy it)

I been using flash for almsot 3 years now...just starting to get in to 3d flash. (Can't make games tho)

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:45
3d flash? dang that would be weird...flash is fun to play with, but i would kill myself doing that all the time...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 18:48 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 18:49
3d flash isn't hard at all...all the 3d stuff is rendered in 3ds max, then loaded into a program like Plasma and Swift 3d (There are some plugins as well) and then exported into Flash...I dont a few cool effect's with it, I can post a screenie on my lunch break.

EDIT: forgot to mention it could also be used to add effects like cartoon and cell shading to use as intros in games.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:12
thats not 3D Flash... 3D Flash is called Shockwave, which you create with Macromedia Director.

and no there isn't a free Flash alternative, Macromedia developed it and own the right's to it.
it's funny really they're software runs over 90% of the entire internet, and with thier improved streaming video links over current formats; quite frankly they're now getting a monopoly over the entire Internet Creation sector.
especially with companies like Adobe now catering to them.

just gotta wonder, why the hell ain't anyone telling them they have to split into multiple division companies?

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:14
oh almost forgot... you need talent to, and ONE HELL OF ALOT of patience - believe me man this is comming from a guy who's sat down and done cellu by cellu frame animation before; flash is deceptively easy... lol

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:15
Quote: "How do you make flash animations?"

I make them good

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:28
Quote: "why the hell ain't anyone telling them they have to split into multiple division companies?"

because the owner isnt the richest person in the world...people just want little billy to stop making money, so everyone complains about every little thing he does...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:32
Quote: "thats not 3D Flash... 3D Flash is called Shockwave, which you create with Macromedia Director.
"

True, but it's not the only way (or the easiest) and not all created with Shockwave is vector.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 20:04
Actually I have a demo a a flash creation program called Sothink SWF Quicker which I found on Cnet.com. The actual price is $50, they also have a number of other flash related programs, http://www.sothink.com. Consider it my last bit of help for a while.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 00:28
Quote: " thats not 3D Flash... 3D Flash is called Shockwave, which you create with Macromedia Director.
"

Thats very incorrect. Shockwave is the Director side/method of presenting media and Director can incorporate flash content within a shockwaved file. The shockwave player is just like a flash plugin but instead of just swf content it can combine java / javascript / swf and web based material into one package.

Only Director 8 and above has its own raycasting 3d engine but you can mimic 3d within flash via hand drawn cells or exported cells from other 3d packages that export swf. Not all shockwave content has to be 3d and has not always been this way.

Quote: "and no there isn't a free Flash alternative,"

Thats incorrect as well www.openswf.org is the file formats layout and theres been quite a few new products that make swf peices but not a full flash environment per say. Milkshape was converted into a 3d packagfe that spits out 3d swf files to be inserted into other packages like director.

Quote: " Macromedia developed it and own the right's to it."

More Silly Nonsense .
Flash was called futuresplash player before half of you got wind of it and it was macintosh only, Macromedia bought it off the parent company when they saw it was a good thing.

Poor Raven your such a twit sometimes with your "knowledge"
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, If they bought it. Wouldn't they own the rights to it?

The statement below is true
The statement above is false
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 00:44
Well indi, that's still not 3d, that's vectors...

And Raven's still right, you said it yourself...pieces of a swf, there is no free alternative to Flash

And...so Macromedia owns the rights to it...and has developed it to it's current state (it's obviously come a long way).

So...Raven's righter than you?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 01:30
lol the peanut gallery has spoken.

All 3d on the computer screen is rasterised from a fake dimension to give the illusion of 3d. what do you think a rendering pipeline is for hmm?

Macromedia bought and then continued to developed it, and if that was the case there would be no open swf architecture would there, as well as third party swf creation packages.
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:18
All I really want is an easy way to make animations, like a cartoon. I just said flash because that is what I have seen used elsewhere. All I really need at the moment is suggestions of programs I can use to make animations. I hope this is a possiblity for me.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 23:23
If you just want to create 2d cartoons for a website then you don't need any version of flash higher than 4, which I have seen on sale for around 60quid... and if its just simple animations or transitions you want then animated gif files and javascript can do that for free...

Quikly Studio Pro. Soon. Honest.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:49:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:49:55