Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Computer Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 01:36
New bigger and badder computer games are comming out, and my antike (thats how it sounds) computer can't hadle them (windows 98). I've got my eye especialy on Jedi Academy.

Anyways, my MHZ is 512, this is the main problem. My parents say they dont want to get a new comp untill I get to colledge, but I'll be to bogged with work to play games.

My question is: is there a chip or something that can increase my MHZ? my dad says the only way to increase is to buy a new computer, is he right? thx in advance

I discriminate against discriminating people....
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Yes he's right and no he isnt.

You could buy a whole new computer or you could take your computer into a place like compusa or some computer store and they will upgrade it for you or if your a person like me buy the part you need and install it yourself!

So theres 2 ways to get your computer better

or you could

Buy more ram
over clock
buy more ram (again) =)
buy new computer.

hope that helped.

BTW if your like in highschool don't depend on your parents to buy a new computer for you go out get a job and save money and buy your own...thats how i get everything i want. BTW im also 18...so i sort of have to work =P

MX46 motherboard 1.7ghz 785mb's DDR ram gforce 4 mx440 se 64mb ddr dual vga gfx card with onboard lan/sound/graphics works great...sometimes
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 01:45
the mhz your referring to is the speed of the cpu or the main chip that does the processing.

its lodged into a motherboard that also holds the daughter cards for sound video networking ram etc..

find out your motherboard model using a program called aida 32 and then you can ask a computer store the fastest cpu your motherboard can handle.

Older motherboards can only tolerate a certain cpu speed and you may find it easier to buy a complete older system than just getting the new part. In the pc game I wouldnt advise this because you get more bang for your buck by spending a little more and getting something a lot quicker.

check out the website www.pricewatch.com if you live stateside.
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 02:33 Edited at: 6th Jan 2004 02:38
thx for the help. underlord: does increasing your ram increase mhz? also what is over clocking?

I discriminate against discriminating people....
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 03:10 Edited at: 6th Jan 2004 03:10
Ok, heres what you could do:

1) Upgrade Your Processing Chip (most expensive choice, probably better to just buy a better computer, follow what Indi said so you can get the best you can).

2) Upgrade Your Ram (Will increase the amout of memory your computer has to store information. The more memory, the less variable swapping, the less time it takes to store things that need to be accesed often).

3) Upgrade Your Video Card (A new card that costs around $100 will increase the graphics processing speed quite a bit! Though you wont be able to process the new games, you will notice a speed increase, I'd suggest the new NVidia or Radeon cards).

4) Buy New Computer (You can buy a pretty decent one for probably less than $400. I'd say a P4 1.6 Ghrz 512MB Ram, and an Intel Graphics Video Card that you could easily swap out for another $100)

I would personally suggest doing suggestion 4. More bang for your buck, trust me.

@Transworld Punk 69: Yeah, overclocking increases the processors speed, but usually never twice its speed (or else we'd be seeing 6 Ghrz P4's everywhre). Chances are you could just get a better cooling fan, and you'll get some what of a speed increase. But, I wouldnt suggest overclocking, shortens the life of the processor if I'm correct.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 03:34
Beef up your RAM and video card to the games' minimum system requirments. Buy a 1.8GHz+ processer on www.pricewatch.com and instal it. Big saving.sss

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 07:52
you can get a 2.6gHz 256meg ram, cant remember anything else atm but for only $350ish from Dell

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:47:47