Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Good deal?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 12:28
I want to upgrade from my PIII 866 in the next few months (on a motherboard that has a max of PIII 1.0G) which has 384m SDRAM, radeon 7000 series Video card, to probably an Athlon 2600 XP plus a new dual bios board with 8X AGP, USB2, firewire and all the trimmings. I want to get a decent video card to run DBPro and just snooping round now I found this:

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=17104&cat=416

Now I know its not a pro but still for a card of this power it seems pretty cheap. Is it worth getting something like this or are there better deals on other cards? Also are the prices of card set to fall anytime soon?

Cheers

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 14:06
Sapphire make really good cards, and they're usually bunched with some nice Hardware. If you're getting an Athlon 2600+, which is what i've got, then i'd really reccomend the new ASUS motherboard, the A7N8X.I think theres a couple of versions of the board, but the A7N8X-X is a good board that's great for overclocking, good BIOS, well made board. On top of this it's up to 400FPS ready in case you want to completely fry your Chip. I just like the board, and it's reasonably well priced. Then again, just about any Abit motherboard will probably make you weep for joy, so go for that if you like it. And that's a pretty good price for that card i reckon. I've been looking to upgrade to a 256 Radeon 9600 DDR, for roughly the same price as that card...anyway. -Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 14:08
Oh, and prices of cards are allready falling, but that's because of refinement in manufacturing technique and not due to them being replaced by newer cards. New cards are on their way, so wait a while and that card might drop to under £100.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 15:31
dont buy ram till the prices drop. the current prices are higher than feb 2003!

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 15:40
I've never heard of Sapphire before, but Hercules are really good cards. If you ask me, that website is expensive. An ATI 9800 pro is over US$250, when I can find it for US$200.

I hate RAM! Any idea what it costs me for ram? ECC Registered, I always have to pay more than everyone! It sucks!

1GB of DDR 2100 right now you can get for about $100. For me, it's $200+
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 16:45
i have a sapphire radeon 9000 in my comp. works great, never had a problem with it.

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 10:39
Thanks for the replies everyone. Coz I'm at college I dont really have a steady income, only what ive saved, which is in the region of about £350, which considering, is nowt. I should be getting £80 at the end of this week though, which helps, plus I was going to wait a while anyways (prob Feb/March at least). My computer wouldnt be worth that much ( as a base) without adding keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor etc to make it a complete system. Then it can cost quite a bit.

My dad and I will work out whats best when the time comes. Recently we used a gigabyte motherboard in a system (think it was the KT600 or something along those lines) which was a very good board...USB2 & firewire which are good, as well as dual bios and stuff.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 03:34
Hey, try Dabs.com for prices and comparing etc. They're pretty good, and i have noticed their stuff has often been a good £10-£20 cheaper than my local shops sometimes. Give it a glance.

-Dave

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 05:09 Edited at: 8th Jan 2004 05:10
Edit

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service