Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / i need an advice!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 19:22
hello people,
i'm ready to buy a new monster PC, but i have a problem. ive got two identical PCs in my mind but actually they deffer from eachother in something. here's the specifications:
PC number 1:

PC number 2:

the difference is in the Video Card! come someone tell me which one should i buy?
thankx.

D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 19:33
so a PC like that isnt good enough?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 19:39
the FX5200 card is the next gen card over the GF4-ti series and both are good (I have both: fx5200 8xagp 128, and a gf4ti-4600) but I would go with the fx5200 imho.

are those actual cards or are they built on to the motherboard? I tend to stay away from anything built-on, but then again I always build my pc's entirely from scratch (which I should be doing again very soon - just too lazy to go get the parts )

-RUST-

D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 19:46
i also keep away from built-in mother boards. those cards are Add-on to AGP slots. but is there really a big difference between those cards? which one can eat solid steel graphics?

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 20:38
Unless you don't really play games I would spend more on the grfx card even at the expense or processor speed.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
Tasik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 20:44
Quote: "Unless you don't really play games"

(Tasik makes a cross)

Evil peeople dont play computer games!

You should have seen that last fight! Out numbered 40 to 2... We beat them both =)
D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 22:18 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 22:21
if i dont play computer games i wouldnt be here talking in this DARKBASIC forum . the thing is thats the only PC i can afford right now. and its about 975$(the GF FX5200) without the monitor. and the other is about 1000$(the GF4 Ti4200). i'm limited between these 2 PCs. i'm trying to figure out which card is the best in 3d performence. ofcorse the highest cost can be the best, but i'm here to see u people what u say about this

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 22:32
No! Dont buy a PC, buy the PARTS and build it, do some research, you will end up saving yourself money and making a better system!

My friend just built him a PC from scratch, and its a MONSTER. Definatly go with AMD processors as they are much cheaper and as fast or FASTER then Pentiums when it comes to gaming or anything like that.

Good ole' AMD

RPGamer

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
Tasik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 22:48 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 22:51
Quote: "buy the PARTS and build it... you will end up saving yourself money"

Thats not always true, some times the deals you get from buying every thing together are way better then a custom built system. Like the HP I bought a long time ago. You got $250 back (Mail in rebait) if the screen was an HP also, then another $250 (Mail in rebait) if you got their printer with the whole deal.

Although it is nice to have a system that has only things you wanted.

You should have seen that last fight! Out numbered 40 to 2... We beat them both =)
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 22:54
many sites let you choose a pc, and then completely customise it to what you want:
www.ginger6.com
^ Where i got my pc from - they are the cheapest i know
www.microdirect.co.uk
^ very good for seperate parts

Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 00:35 Edited at: 8th Jan 2004 00:38
I normally get my parts for cheap as mince because there's so many hardware shops around here they drop their prices like clown trousers with no braces. In fact, there's 3 near me, 1 is two shops down from the other and the 3rd is across the block, about 3-4 units away. One's a complete scumbag, and their parts are funny (Bad delivery, fakes, or are they just stolen?) Their prices are terrible, as well. My Friend Euan's computer's button got stuck, and i said i would fix it for them, but when i went around his dad had taken the PC to shop number 3 to get fixed. I have the same case as him, costing £30 including a 350 Watt PSU. They kept the PC for a week, didn't do anything about the button (it needed the edges filed in a little, all they done was take off the front and bash it from the back till it unstuck) and charged him £40 for the Job. The only word i can use to describe my reaction when i heard their price is "Mortified". They have more funny practices than that, though: they con, short change, and sell faulty parts which are, guess what; non refundable-well they give you 75% back, but like i said, they con, so when i took back a faulty sound card, despite my suggestion that they test the card, they claimed that the card definately works and game me about 60% back, which i didn't realise till later. I also bought a 1500Mhz CPU off them which i later realised clocked 1050Mhz. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post the company's name here without being busted by a Mod, but if you live in Scotland, and you go to Glasgow for your computer Parts, then avoid a certain company with a yellow sign. If a Mod posts that i can write the name then i'll post their name.

Anyway, moral is: reasearch, and build yourself. Trust me, you'll be a much happier bloke for it (if you are indeed a bloke...). Anyway, i agree, definately get an AMD, because Pentiums are notorious for overheating. And plus, the way things are going right now, you'll probably want to overclock that CPU further down the line and nothing overclocks like an Athlon. Actually, i don't know if that's true, because i only use Athlons and Pentiums, don't know what the Xeon overlocks like, or even if it does...

If you want info on Video Cards, there's a couple of websites you can visit, but the most famous one (i think...it's pretty big in Scotland) is Tom's Hardware Guide.

hmm...i never shut up, do i?

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 01:57
I didn't know about the unfair benchmarks. Here it's a little Hyped, all the computer shops have posters made by THG with litle graphs showing the Benchmarks...is it really that bad? Because me and Shougity doug were looking at their benchmarks and we thought the Pentium/Athlon64 benchamrk looked a bit...well, stupid. Especially the part where it mentioned how the Pentium had a lower thermal dissipation value than the Athlon, it's almost common knowlage that Pentiums are crap for their overheating problems. But i didn't think that THG was that bad...

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:03:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:03:21