Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What you can, and can't say!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 23:45 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 23:46
I thought that this was quite interesting! It's something that I have always been aware of anyway, but it is explained really well.

http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html

Pincho.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The Conformist Test

Let's start with a test: Do you have any opinions that you would be reluctant to express in front of a group of your peers?

If the answer is no, you might want to stop and think about that. If everything you believe is something you're supposed to believe, could that possibly be a coincidence? Odds are it isn't. Odds are you just think whatever you're told.

The other alternative would be that you independently considered every question and came up with the exact same answers that are now considered acceptable. That seems unlikely, because you'd also have to make the same mistakes. Mapmakers deliberately put slight mistakes in their maps so they can tell when someone copies them. If another map has the same mistake, that's very convincing evidence.

Like every other era in history, our moral map almost certainly contains a few mistakes. And anyone who makes the same mistakes probably didn't do it by accident. It would be like someone claiming they had independently decided in 1972 that bell-bottom jeans were a good idea.

If you believe everything you're supposed to now, how can you be sure you wouldn't also have believed everything you were supposed to if you had grown up among the plantation owners of the pre-Civil War South, or in Germany in the 1930s-- or among the Mongols in 1200, for that matter? Odds are you would have.

Back in the era of terms like "well-adjusted," the idea seemed to be that there was something wrong with you if you thought things you didn't dare say out loud. This seems backward. Almost certainly, there is something wrong with you if you don't think things you don't dare say out loud."

Sounds likes something me and my friends are arguing about all the time.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 00:09
I really like Philosophy, but i couldn't take it because it went at the same time as Ad Higher Comp. Which really sucks. Well, my post was pointless...ignore it if you want. -Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 00:09
An interesting article, although it is written from the definite viewpoint that there are no absolutes, that everything is opinion, which I disagree with. Although it does seem to urge people to find their own truths-- odd given the vantage point it is written from.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:40:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:40:24