Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ouch! - your worst PC related injury.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 12:00
I'm forever building PC's, and it's quite easy to cut yourself, but yesterday I got a new flavour of pain!. I was removing some memory sticks, pushing the white tabs down when my finger slipped off the tab and a 5mm pin went under my fingernail . Who designs these bloomin motherboards!.

Come on, let's hear your PC related mishaps.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 12:15
I always cut my fingers trying to get the CD Drive panels off the front of the case, the only way to do it is from the inside and it's bloody sharp in there.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 12:22
well, my hands are always mushed after I've worked on a comp.
memory sticks are prolly the worst thing, especially when you have to put them in, and the slot is too thight. Try applying pressure on something that's 1mm wide and has sharp edges. Next are the old cases with unsmoothed cuts and corners.

I've had no severe injury yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

although, I did work for school tech support couple years back and there was this one case. We were moving some comps to another classroom and we were supposed to plug them in and all that. Anyway, I was the one pluggin on the first comp, so I was behind it, putting all the wires in and then leaned to the side to plug the power cable. As soon as I did that, the psu "exploded" and then bursted to flames. Not funny. of course we pulled the plug and the fire stopped but it was still quite a shock.
The funny thing is, that the reason wasn't the watt setting on the psu... there just was no good reason except that it had been faulty. So we started plugging on the other comps... and shortly after couple of them had been plugged in, they did the same. (more or less) I think we lost total of 7 psu's/comps that day. Not all of the comps, though. And some of the psu's went down minutes after they were plugged in.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't hurt myself, I've just hurt my PC...ie frying the motherboard & ram...

*hits self in the head*

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 14:16
I've done the "pin under your fingernail" thing several times

Not an injury as such, but when I worked on an internal helpdesk many years ago, someone called to log an issue...

I have smoke and some small flames coming out of the back of my monitor, what should I do?

I was tempted to reply with something like...

Finish the document you're working on, then save it to a floppy...

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 14:26
That reminds me of this time a couple years ago when a mate of mine pressed a very conspicuous looking red button on the back of his PC, I have no idea what it was meant to do but as soon as he pressed it the fan blew and smoke started billowing out the back.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 14:32 Edited at: 8th Jan 2004 14:33
Arf! @ Exeat, that's hilarous.

The worst thing i've ever done to myself...
Hmm...
well on one of my older cases, when i was removing the side panel, it got stuck. So i applied some pressure and it came flying out, stabing it's corner into my thumb (it was messy, because it was more of a gouge that anything else) suffice to say i swore loudly at the case. -Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 17:38
I got sunburnt off my monitor. Its not like it was a sh*t monitor or anything, but i was infront of it for about 36 hours doing 3d work and playing games. I was very sore.

I get a lot of "walk into room with opened up computer on floor and getting something sharp between my big toe and second toe (like the corner of the case)" things. They hurt.

Windows has detected a mouse movement... please restart your computer so changes can take effect.
Athlon 2500+ | Asus A7N8X-X | 512Mb DDR RAM | GeForce 4 MX 440 | 20Gb + 80Gb HDDs
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 17:44
'memory sticks are prolly the worst thing, especially when you have to put them in, and the slot is too thight. Try applying pressure on something that's 1mm wide and has sharp edges.'

Argh I know exactly what you mean! *wince*

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 17:57 Edited at: 8th Jan 2004 17:57
I was electrocuted by my old PII 350, it was the first time I thought to myself: "I didn't know I could jump that high"

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 18:20
I nearly cut the tip of my finger off by sticking it in one of those high speed 60mm delta fans.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 18:55
A motherboard fell on my arm and the pins on it made huge gashes on my hand...

And I got shocked with 350 volts once when I was messing around with my old power box...

But yes...it's usually my computer that ends up getting hurt. My friend once got so frustrated with his 286, he took out the hadrdrive and chucked it out his apartement's balcony (Or "flat" for you British people)

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 18:59
Ah yes and I stepped barefoot on a RAM stick that some careless impatient Megaton threw on the floor.

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 20:12
Not pc related...

...but does walbing backwards, tripping over open oven door then landing on dishwasher door (open) and breaking hinge on that count?

"Nowadays more and more of our imports are coming from abroad" - George Bush

Formerly David89.
Tasik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 20:16
I was seeing if I could balance on a basket ball drunk while carring 4 severs!

JK

Probably Brain Damage from playing to long

You should have seen that last fight! Out numbered 40 to 2... We beat them both =)
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 21:07
I nearly sliced my finger off whilst sweeping the floor! I was sweeping so hard with a plastic-handled broom that it snapped in two and the sharp edges sliced right through to the bone on one of my fingers. Blood everywhere. Still got the scar.

PC related - Had to open up and replace network cards in about 100 pc's in a company. My hands were covered in cuts and bruises after that. Why do they make cases with sharp bits in 'em?

Boo!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 23:05
i fell on my head today... i blame boredom, makes me do stupid things...

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
like exeat, i cut my finger really deeply on the inside of a case trying to get a faceplate out. it took 3 weeks to heal and then a month later, i cut the same spot on a broken glass. how cool! agh.

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB DDR | winXP pro | DBP 5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
DBP has made me bitter.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 01:50
the only think that happened to me was with my old pc case, every time i went neare the drive bays i sliced one of my fingers, if you look in the old case u would probably think there hade been a murder as i went in it quite often, i learnt to avoid the drive bays eventually, my new case has smooth edges now, no razorblade cheap crap

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 04:14
I've managed to avoid drawing serious blood on a PC, probably has something to do with fear of summoning a demon. But, I have accidentially touched a power supply capacitor and launched a screwdriver into the ceiling tiles. That was a nasty jolt.

Of course, all my co-workers did was laugh and applaud saying I wasn't a maintenance virgin any more.
--
TAZ

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 04:23
I think my worst mishap was bench testing a load of Amiga 4000's, I was putting hard disks into 40 of them as quick as I could so I could switch them on and leave them on overnight to test them. Unfortunately in my haste I picked up an odd screw that had found it's way into my screw box, it was too long, and I didn't notice.

The screw embedded itself into the circuitbaord of a Quantum hard disk and upon powering on filled my office with that lovely, highly noxious, carconogenic orange smoke.

I did get home earlier, but only because the office had to be evacuated

I had a similar problem once before on a Western Digital and got pink smoke.

For most actual pain inflicted nothing comes close to an old IBM PS/2 Tower, this is one of the 'things' IBM produced during their venture into MCA architecture, it weight roughly the same as several small cities - and I had to carry one on foot for about 5 miles... That was painfull.

For most serious injury, I would guess it was an old 286 I opened up, it was at an installation at Stansted airport in the old diamond hanger, I can't remember the make of the computer but it had one of those horrid metal earthing plates on top similar to what Compaq now use, only this one was not part of the lid and removing it was really stiff. When my hand slipped in a vein effort to budge it I reckon it went the best part of a centimetre into my hand. That was a big ouch moment and probably the most blood a computer has drawn from me.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
ouch! lotsa nasty stories, heh. i think the worst i've ever gotten is a few cuts and scrapes on my fingers, and accidently hitting the fan with my knuckles (while it the comp was on). Oh, now that I think of it, I think I dropped a monitor on my foot, but only from a few inches off the ground, but I was barefoot, so, lol.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
I have never hurt myself taking out or applying anything =) althought i did drop my case on my foot once that hurt....no shoes =(

MX46 motherboard 1.7ghz 785mb's DDR ram gforce 4 mx440 se 64mb ddr dual vga gfx card with onboard lan/sound/graphics works great...sometimes
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 07:46
@zircher

"Of course, all my co-workers did was laugh and applaud saying I wasn't a maintenance virgin any more. "

LOL!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 08:52
Got sliced by a rusty old case on my friends neighbors ol 386, i had to get a f*ckin tetnis shot for it.

Also got shocked while fixing moniters or power supplys alot.

Also, I once pulled a muscle while throwing a HP Scanner across the room.

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 09:08
I bet the Tetnis shot hurt more too.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 09:29
yeah, too much, cause they had to put it in twice, sumthin about rolling vains or somthing, i dunno..

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 10:46
Exeat, lol, you serious? How stupid can one be.
Cos that suspicious red thing at the back of the PSU is the thing where you can change the input power level. (I think). It is in because different countries use different watt levels. Usually it's a switch with the current watt amount visible. Choosing the wrong value will result in a disaster.

and oh yeah, I almost got my toe snapped out cos a fan. It was no ordinary fan but a fan from old fridge or something. it was big and noisy, but it sure did move some serious air. I used it in the summertime, with my case open... Dropped about 20c with one of them at a distance. The thing was, my comp and the fan were at the floor, right next to my feet.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 10:49
Once 'slid' the casing back onto a PC at work, the case slipped, my finger was between the case and the main base unit which basically turned into one big pair of scissors and "Snip", off came a large part of my finger-pad...!

Very painful...

~ J ~
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "choosing the wrong value will result in a disaster"

so that is why my old pc exploded...

There is a theory that if the meaning of the universe is ever found, it will be replaced by something even weirder. There is a theory that this has already happened.
[href]www.johnsgames.tk[/href]
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 01:11
"I always cut my fingers trying to get the CD Drive panels off the front of the case, the only way to do it is from the inside and it's bloody sharp in there"

I just hit it with a screwdriver really hard.

Havent ever hurt myself in a case. Then again my case is all folded edges so you cant cut yourself.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:37:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:37:48